Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

So intel officially a GPU company now?

RnR, Skramit, Gibbon and 1 other person like this.
  2. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

Might as well suck at both GPUs and CPUs.

F1Aussie, bobsled, hellaflush and 3 others like this.
  3. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I figure it's worth it for me in a work machine as mentioned before. Given I'll run my CPU at stock, I see the 5900x vs 5950x this way:

- basically the same power draw and same heat, so no real difference there. At stock, I don't think cooling the 5950x will be any more of a challenge than the 5900x. Different if overclocking though, for sure.
    - basically the same single threaded performance (probably still the most important thing for me, given the work it'll do). 5950x is actually slightly quicker.
    - 5900x has higher all-core boost, but less cores, so the 5950x still overtakes it in heavily threaded workloads as shown in the benchmarks. This will help me in some of the work I do, but not the majority.

so the extra cost is really just (as you say) for the extra performance in heavily threaded workloads. Yes it's 45% more cost, but at the end of the day it's really about $390. If you think that's worth $390 to you, then go for it.

I suspect that if the 5900x had higher single threaded performance than the 5950x, I'd probably get it instead, due to the mix of work it'll be doing.

I just love the fact that I no longer have to compromise on single threaded vs huge multithreaded performance. That's what gets me excited about it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Phido likes this.
  4. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Can only imagine there are a lot of tense meetings at intel at the moment.

5. thecondor

thecondor Member

So did I but they said still waiting till stock and should be Tuesday

6. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

The way I see the CPU it takes the sting out of the GPU purchase, sure the 3090 makes no sense over the 3080 but you can understand a 3080 over a 3070 especially when you could save on the CPU (5600X vs 5800X).

Skramit likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

Part of my purchase is I just like having 8 cores over 6. Not for anything in particular, just coz. :D I would like 12 but it’s a bit too much $.

if the 5800x was $650 Aud not $700 then it’s a no brainer as the mid range choice. But I agree it’s in a weird spot pricing wise if purely evaluating gaming vs production usage.

8. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

Dunno mate. I ordered at 3am Friday. I rang Scorptec Friday lunchtime to see what the ETA was on pickup (just to see if I could get it Friday) and the guy told me it’s in their warehouse and needs to be transferred to Clayton. Then at 6pm I got the pickup notification.... but too late to go get it.

9. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I will probably wait for the 5600 non X release. That's going to to be sold out in a second.

10. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Picked my 5600x from scorptec earlier, can’t wait to get it up and running tonight

Skramit, RnR and Nethiuz like this.
  11. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

They open on Saturday? wtf.

Just ordered 5600x from Scorptec, said in stock but says waiting warehouse allocation, which is scary words.
    Also don't see a bios update for my X370 so grabbed an Asrock B550M, Cause every other mobo brand has let me down bar Asrock!

12. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

The 300 series isn't supported by the 5000 series chips at all and wont be, only the 400 and 500 series boards.

Nethiuz likes this.
  13. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Asrock high five, how good is paying half as much for your motherboard for the same performance. :Pirate:

Nethiuz likes this.
  14. Malakai

Malakai Member

Does anyone know if Umart Milton actually have 5600X in stock. I ordered one this morning for my brother's new complete build I'm buying him for his birthday and it said 'in stock' I'm hoping to pick up everything this afternoon once the 'ready for pickup' email comes in. They are usually very accurate if it says 'in stock' on their site.

15. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I have a MSI X470 lying around but it's such a POS, happy to grab the B550M :)
    The PCI 4.0 is a bonus.

16. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

"in stock" for Umart is kinda like Bunnings "in stock" meaning it could be in stock but maybe not. Best bet is to ring them and make sure they do actually have it.

400 series wont get a BIOS till next year anyway :p.

DangerMaus and Nethiuz like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Skramit

Skramit Member

Scorpy told me they do warehouse to Clayton transfer on mon, wed and fri. So assuming it’s in stock in the warehouse, you should get a notification Monday night or Tuesday to pickup.

Nethiuz likes this.
  18. Voltus

Voltus Member

Well i called them this morning and she assured me Milton have stock.. Though their customer service line is fairly detatched from the business, but she did assure me they have stock.

19. shirl

shirl Member

I have a 3700x I'm planning on a 6800xt,would the 3700x bottleneck performance if the 6800xt? Would it be worth me upgrading to a 5800x or should I pay the extra for a 5900x..I used to be heavily into overclocking and benching but haven't been doing it for about 8yeard now nor do I research as much as I used to when chasing latest tech..any feedback would be most welcome..

20. boneburner

boneburner Member

a fact that kind of pisses me off tbh - but also feeds into my decision to not buy into this end of life socket - looks like im putting off everything (except storage improvements) for the next socket - and even then, probably not it's first iteration.

So thats... what, another year + or so?

I can wait :lol: