Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Can't fault my x570 F

Gibbon likes this.
  2. kot0005

kot0005 Member

PRIME 95 is very very intensive app, how much rad area are you using ?

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

There aren't really any *bad* X570 boards. X570 boards (and B550 for that matter) in general are pretty much all overbuilt.

If you were a pro overclocker, some of the high end ones maybe have a few extra features and some better VRM's, but especially if you aren't overclocking, it comes down to any specific board features that you might like.

If you like the appearance or feature set of the Strix and you are happy with it, sure, buy it. No problems.
    With this in mind, you may even find the B550 range worth looking at. You'll still have a PCIE4 x16 slot, and one PCIE4 M.2 for a nice fast OS drive.

You'll lose the possibility of a second PCIE4 M.2, and the ability to crossfire GPU's (not that you would want crossfire anyway, dual GPU's are pretty pointless these days), but apart from those 2 points you probably aren't leaving a lot on the table for a decent $ saving. It could even come down to your BIOS preference. I don't like MSI or Giga BIOS, so I stick with Asrock or Asus generally.

You'll certainly most likely get a pair of M.2's even on the B550, it's just that only one of them will be PCIE4, the other will be PCIE3.
    Not having a PCIE4 chipset (the CPU provides 24 lanes, 4 are used for talking to the chipset, which leaves you with 20, even with a PCIE3 chipset, so still a single PCIE4 GPU and one PCIE4 M.2 = 20), you won't get a chipset fan either. Many would consider that a plus.

Personally I wouldn't stress about the chipset fan even if I were considering X570 either. I have an Asus TUF, the chipset is literally directly under my Nitro+ 5700XT, and even then I don't think I've ever even see it spin. I suspect that if I already had my second PCIE4 drive, in RAID 0 as planned, the chipset would work a little harder and might need the fan, or again, if the second drive had actually arrived yet and I was doing bulk data transfers between 2 PCIE4 drives, it might cause the fan to fire up. So far, I don't yet have the second drive, and the fan doesn't spin.

I'm pretty happy with my X570 TUF, and I'm totally confident it will be fine with the 5950X I plan on sticking in it (upgrading from R5 3600). I'd be just as happy with a B550 TUF too I think, and just as confident using it with a 5950X.

Just buy a board you like the look of, at a price you like, with the feature set you want, and you'll be golden.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Gibbon, K_I_L_E_R and FatBoy like this.
  4. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Cheers appreciate the replies. I haven't been in AMD land for a lot of years, but will be soon .... I suspect there might be a few in my position :D

Ratzz likes this.
  5. chook

chook Member

Probably a good time to mention MUTMAN's FAQ then.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/am4-faq-simple-version.1290137/

Lots of information in there. He has kept it up to date as new Zen 3 information comes out so just be aware that some of it might relate to Zen 2 specifically but is still all good to help understand. Like most resources of its kind it is a living document.

Ratzz and Gibbon like this.
  6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

currently installing windows on 2 x 5600x systems for customers. Gigabytes ability to flash mobo without a CPU is pretty epic, flashed the B550 no worries.

Ill resist temptation and possibly get 5900x & Dark Hero mobo eventually for myself.

DangerMaus, Kookooburra and nCrypt like this.
  7. Fai

Fai Member

Oh man.....PLE ETA went up from 13/11 to 20/11. Another week looking at new parts in their boxes :(.
    Scorptec wasn't loading for me but checked afterwards and it had an ETA 10/11 I think. Hope you guys get yours tomorrow.

samblurr likes this.
  8. samblurr

samblurr Member

I got an update from PCCG not long ago saying the delivery that my order is in has been delayed until tomorrow. Even with the express post I don’t expect to see it until Thursday or maybe even Friday.

9. nugget28

nugget28 Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    samblurr likes this.
  10. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

5 minute mark

"So trending forward, this is going to be one of those competitive gaming champion kings"!

Errr WTF:Paranoid:!

Isn their no trending forward if your a "competitive gamer"?

you buy the best and dump the rest So "Longevity" does not apply:Paranoid:?

11. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

2 360's running just the CPU atm while waiting for GPU block. Ran Cinebench for 30 mins straight and temps reached 84.3 Common problem on the 5800x going by Google with the 5950x getting lower temps doing the same tasks. Something to do with the single CCX

2 hours of Valhalla and temps didn't go over 70 so that's good.

12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I think he is just saying we will see over time more and more people buying them for competitive gaming. Currently it's all Intel so it will be a slow transition.

13. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Saw that pccasegear has adjusted their eta's for zen3 back a day. Was supposed to be in yesterday, but now today. Supposedly.

Also notable that everything is preorder, aside from the 5900x. That's sold out, no preorder.

14. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Scorptec also had an ETA of today too so hopefully they all rock up

nCrypt likes this.
  15. Phido

Phido Member

Holey crap, your saying a 2 x 360 with just a 5800x hit over 80 degrees?!
    I assume that is die temp not water temp.

Still, that is bonkers. We may be approaching what is able to be dissipated out of the CPU die through the heat spreader.
    This may be why AMD stopped shipping coolers with its CPU's.

The 3950 and 5950 are lower clocked and lower voltage parts. Wonder what threadripper will need.

16. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Die temp. From my reading it seems the 5800x is getting hotter than all other Zen3 chips.

17. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

That'd probably be because the die it's using is bottom of the barrel seeing it only needs 1 core die. The better ones would be reserved for the 5900X & 5950X.

18. Ndsspex

Ndsspex Member

CE169840-CCB0-438D-88E1-208EF80E4767.png For orders from Mwave

RnR likes this.
  19. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah and it will be become worst as transistor density increases. AMD may have to pull Intel's trick of thin silicon with thick heatspreader. But that idea is probably patented.

20. Luno

Luno Member

Mine did aswell! Honestly tempted to cancel all my waiting orders with these guys really poor eta on 3080 and after checking out in the first minute delay of over a week from initial eta on 5900x