1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. cevtech

cevtech Member

LOL still in stock. Makes me rage!

2. Paul Hartl

Paul Hartl New Member

Below are the only changes i have made to my bios, i don't delve deep or have the knowledge like a lot of guys do here, i just scrape the surface, not sure if any of this is helpful for you.

Tweaker: Extreme memory profile = Profile 1
    Favorites: CSM support = Disabled
    Tweaker: XMP high frequency support = Level 3, this setting does not seem to be in f31e
    Settings: Infinity fabric frequency and dividers: Memory clock speed = 1800Mhz
    Tweaker: Advanced CPU settings: SVM mode = Disabled
    Tweaker: Advanced CPU settings: SMT mode = Auto
    Settings: Platform power: ERP = Disabled
    Settings: IO ports: Legacy USB support = Disabled

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

wrong, right or somewhere inbetween, all help is good help :thumbup::thumbup:

F1Aussie likes this.
  4. khing

khing Member

out of stock for online now.

5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie New Member

Do you get any higher boosts than that on the cores that are showing 4625 - 4750?

6. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Does anyone with a 5950x have a CH8 Hero or Formula??

Trying to get a handle on whether they are more stable than the Gigabyte X570 Master.

Thanks

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie New Member

The whole set! AMD should thank you personally!

8. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i have an Impact, which should be the same as the as the CH8.

I have 2 mates who have X570 Masters, but they are awaiting their CPUs.

They both gigabyte fans, where im an asus fan.

seen a few with issues on the master, hopefully just bios teething issues.

haha. true, but then again, only intended to get the 5900x/5950x. but couldnt wait and got a 5800x, and been so impressed with it.

now thinking the server R5 3600 needs to be a 5600x........all completely un-needed, but this was never about need :D

darkbastard and MUTMAN like this.
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie New Member

I used to throw all my money at cars when younger now it is computer parts, reckon it is almost just as expensive but more fun.

nCrypt likes this.
  10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Since I don't have a board yet, I've been looking for issues among all brands and trying to work out the best way forward. :p
    Seems everyone has issues of one sort or another on 5000 series, gigabyte more than most. Try the earlier bios. Apparently the one with initial support for 5000 was the most stable for a lot of people.
    I'm sure everything will level out in the coming weeks as everyone gets their shit together though.

Surprisingly, I'm actually kinda swaying towards an MSI Unify over the usual ROG crap atm. Plus that blacked out look is just brilliant.
    Considering the last high end MSI board I bought blew up within days, as did its replacement... That's kinda impressive I'm even considering it. bahaha

trippinonprozac and MUTMAN like this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

friends dont let friends buy MSI mobos

12. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

hah, I know. Instincts and prior experience say stay away. But damn, It does look good. Not a drop of RGB puke to be found.

Dark hero would be a contender if it was sold closer to its msrp of $399usd and not priced above the formula for some reason in australia. lol

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    MUTMAN likes this.
  13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

MSI are dead to me after the 3080 scalping bullshit.

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero seems to be the go-to board at the moment IMHO (if you can get one, and are happy paying the price).
    AFAIK it's the only board (at the moment) that has the BIOS feature that lets you set an all-core overclock and still let single core boost kick in.

You can turn the RGB stuff off :)

MUTMAN and F1Aussie like this.
  14. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah, i mean you can just use amds curve optimiser if your bios has it enabled yet to basically do that anyway on 5000 series.
    Selling it for more than their flagship board is basically scalping as well at this point. lol

15. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

love my impact since i got it in may. so damn solid.

and now loving my x570 strix. very happy with the IF 2000 amd mems 4000 c16.

RGBs meh.

i wont go near MSI anything.

Massive
    Scalpers
    International

hated MSI before the scalping thing, had a S939 board which was good. had an AM4 board which was utter garbage (given was zen1 and brand new arc at the time)

Only MSI board i have ever liked was a X99 intel board, and that was VERY Expensive.

Not that i mind too much, like a PSU, i feel you get what you pay for with motherboards..most of the time.

Depends what you really want out of it, for plug and play gaming, then do no need to spend more then a couple hundred at most.

Me, i like beefy VRMs, and solid PCB with good tracers, usually means pretty big $$$

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

How does the curve optimiser work? (I haven't used an AMD motherboard for many, many years).

Heh, no, it's a long, long way from what MSI did - but agree the price is a bit outrageous!

17. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

heh, it's all black magic to me. Something to do with tweaking the voltage/frequency curves. :p
    Seems a bit complicated, but some people seem to be getting some pretty good results with it already. Good all core clocks and keeping the 5GHz+ single core clocks.

Hopefully someone makes it stupidly simple and knocks up a guide by the time I actually get a board to put this 5950 in. bahaha

18. illu

illu Member

19. chook

chook Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Hey, MSI boards aren't horrible... Now. I've got an old MSI C236M Workstation in my NAS, unstable as hell, piece of shit, It'll be getting changed next year. My B350M Mortar Arctic has been surprising stable even at launch on beta BIOS's.

Got an MSI B550M Mortar coming for my 5900X ;). I would've picked the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro but didn't like the second M.2 placement and only 4 SATA could be limiting, extra USB though, I've also seen the Gigabyte BIOS's can be... Questionable at best. The Asus TUF Gaming B550M Plus was another option but the VRM heatsinks look meh, don't like the M.2 placement under the GPU, 4 SATA, no built in backplate and I know Asus BIOS's can be completely unstable.

MUTMAN likes this.