1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

What do you think this means for the sweet spot for RAM paired with AMD 4000 series CPUs? 3600MHz seems to be the sweet spot now but will higher clocked RAM be more suited to Zen 3...

2. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

I've seen zen2 up to 3800 giving highest performance but not all chips have that speed. Bang for buck micron e die based 3600 kits are where it's at imo (and overclock/tune timings from there) but probably be able to hit 4200 or higher on zen3 at a guess

3. Phido

Phido Member

It does seem possible that AMD is looking at addressing this in Ryzen 4000. But optimal memory is more than just latency. It will be one of the things to look for in the good reviews of Ryzen 4000 Zen3. Improving memory performance would be a pretty straight forward way of AMD seeing some of that IPC improvement, which is hard to get. Many B550 boards also seem be focusing on highly mem clocks and settings.

But we will need to wait an see.

OzJustin likes this.
  4. shirl

shirl Member

I don't know if this should be here my 4800h running stock gave me a R20 score of 4316 not shore if that's good or bad lol,if I remember correctly it's on par with 3700x desktop,all cores turbo upto 4292mhz on the 4800h seems to perform quite well

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  5. stiben

stiben Member

The best I've seen in R20 from my 3700X + PBO is around 4940

6. RnR

RnR Member

SnooP-WiggleS and MUTMAN like this.
  7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

can i have that on zen3 with big navi please ?

8. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

9. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

This is because the OP from Chiphell who posted those pictures is under NDA so he is actually not allowed to show memory efficiencies or even the CPU model just yet.

There is another thread on Chiphell showing the ES version capable of hitting FCLK of 2100 (1:1) and passing memory stress test:
    https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2245226&extra=page=1&filter=typeid&typeid=220
    Another thread showing the single core performance using CPUz against other Ryzen and Intel CPUs:
    https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2243126&extra=page=1&filter=typeid&typeid=220

MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  10. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

So with potential infinity fabric increases - what RAM to get? What RAM is the bang for back to reliably hit 4000Mhz?

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

How long is a piece of string? Its impossible to say just yet, until people actually get hold of the chips.

12. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

well no, you can unlock the ratio and see how high your RAM goes with current CPU's. All I have is a power supply so far for my intel i7 4790K to AMD jump.... :) Getting from the wall of IF 1900Mhz to 2000Mhz is a reasonable expectation - 5% increase type thing based on the newer revisions.

13. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Performance gains don't work that way. Primary, secondary and tertiary timings also factor in. Even running 1:1 memory and IF clocks, you'll likely get better or the same performance with 3600Mhz CL14 memory then 4400Mhz CL19 memory for $100 - $150 less.

I think that 3600Mhz low latency is, and will remain the best DDR4 to buy until DDR5 replaces it in 2 - 3 years.

nCrypt likes this.
  14. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

From a value perspective 3600C14 is the sweet spot but if you can afford expensive kits 4000C15-4200C15 would be good.

15. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

yeah I understand subtimings etc. Just reading that in general, or others "equal" faster IF generally helps more overall.

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I don't think there is any doubt that we'll be looking at substantial gains in memory performance. Its just that the question "what RAM to get? What RAM is the bang for buck to reliably hit 4000Mhz?" is really not possible to answer just yet.

Currently 4GHz mems could probably be considered as 'extreme' by most of us. Those kind of speeds take good silicon, a high end motherboard, and a fair bit of skill to reach. Samsung B-Die is still king AFAIK, but you'll pay through the nose for it. Micron E-Die is pretty decent too,especially on a bang for buck basis, but still doesn't topple the Samsung dies.

Personally I wouldn't be spending a mint on good ram until 4xxx chips start getting reviewed by decent reviewers. If you can't hold off on your upgrade, buy an X570 board and any other goodies you want, and settle for 16GB of c16-3600 Micron E-Die and a 3300X for now. Enable DOCP and leave it at that.

I'd defer any further decisions about ram until we have more info.
    For all we know, 4xxx might be so good that you can bump that Micron E-Die to 4GHz. Then you can just offload the 3300X in the forums without losing a huge amount of dough, and all you need is a CPU.

Unless you really need that upgrade immediately though, I wouldn't be buying ram or CPU until we see what goes.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  17. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Yes my question of what RAM, probably should be more like where does the price go exponential for RAM speed, rather than bang for buck.

I only have a power supply so far, will be waiting until at least Sept and looks like nVidiots are trying to make that obsolete too haha!

18. OJR

OJR Member

The simple answer is anything over 3600 gets considerably more expensive as those kits are usually b-dies. Sure you can get some cheaper 4000 kits from the more yum cha brands but they're usually Hynix. And while some Hynix kits clock well, they're still no b-dies.

19. Sledge

Sledge Member

Hrmm so if i upgrade to 4000, then i should probably invest in something faster than what i just bought?
    damn

20. OJR

OJR Member

I would wait for reviews before buying anything.