1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

its not really a case of can they or not.
    its probably a case of - does Agg want to pay crazy amounts of money to fight any complaints raised ?
    Im going to guess the answer to that is a rather solid no

2. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Completely off topic now but seeing were down the rabbit hole, these are public Australian forums, owned by an Australian, I'm guessing hosted in Australia as well? Companies having the shits because they are worthless ***** and people are discussing it openly, it's not on Agg or the forums, it's on the individual posters and the companies shouldn't be aloud to take any kind of action at all and Agg shouldn't be forced to suppress freedom of speech on these forums.

If a company is openly ripping people off or is conducting business in a shady manner which a lot are especially atm then there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be talking about it and making it known so people don't get ripped off or fucked over.

Don't know how many of you remember FrozenCPU and the shit storm from a few years ago but forums were suppressing negative posts about it and as a result a lot of people got fucked over.

3. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

> companies shouldn't be aloud to take any kind of action at all

Sure. But the fact is they can. So, less of the "here's this company being the bunch of pricks we all know they are" type comments please. Take your feedback to their Facebook page, where it might have an effect.

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Where it's promptly deleted and you're blocked, maybe a handful of people see it before that happens if you're lucky. But whatever, I wont bother posting companies bullshit any more if I see it, if people get ripped off oh well.

Back on topic, anyone know if we'll be seeing 65w 8 cores soon? ASRock Rack is bringing out a new server board the B550D4-4L, wouldn't mind sticking a lower powered chip it in for a NAS rebuild. These AM4 server boards work pretty well, have an X470D4U running a 2600 for about a year and a half now, pretty stable.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I'm not saying it's a great situation, but it's the situation we're in. If you're not happy with the state of defamation and internet law in Australia, you could write to your local member and maybe it will change. In the meantime, I don't have an in-house legal team or the financial resources to deal with being a platform for those kinds of comments. So we don't allow them. I don't like it any more than you do.

darkbastard and MUTMAN like this.
  6. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

At the end of the day simply vote with your wallet. I 've been shopping with one of the regular stores we all know since 2006 and refuse to shop there again since I had a garbage experience and their customer service is near non existent now.

Gone are the days where one place essentially had manopoly on WC gear in AUS and nearly all the big players stock the same items anyways.

Also word of mouth is much more powerful than one expects. I refuse to shop there, my mates now wont shop there and it goes on from there so in the end it costs them a lot more than I lost but fuck them.

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Negative social reviews on social media hurt them substantially. Soon as you mention social media the tone changes, it's fun to watch.

8. Nian

Nian Member

Vendors do monitor the forums too. Some were very aware during the 6800xt release day... But no-one believed me when I said not to talk about that stuff...

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Great video - but in the rank section they didn't test 4 x dual rank modules? (4 x 16) :(
    (I'm super tired, but but I don't think they did ...)
    Would have been nice to cover that off as well, since it was a good apple-to-apples comparison.

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. warrenr

warrenr Member

struggling to find benches with 5900x/6900xt vr benches for my new build. not that I can get the parts but interested to see how it compares to the 10900/3080/3090 so I can finally make my decision. at this rate the 4080 will be out :p

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. Geno

Geno Member

Centrecom order is back to picking!

12. RnR

RnR Member

They are just toying with ya :p

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. Geno

Geno Member

I'm all for foreplay but not when it comes to PC hardware :lol:

RnR and MUTMAN like this.
  14. boneburner

boneburner Member

I think he makes the point that the dual rank modules were the way to go (altho he does mention that crucial were moving their high capacity sticks to single rank? for.. reasons?) - and also that in a few rare instances, the 4x single rank had its advantages. This would not have been because of the fact they were single rank, as that has shown to have very little advantage with the modern memory controllers, which leaves the fact of there being x4 of them.

There was a vid from Gamers Nexus that looked at this behaviour, and then a follow up vid from Hardware Unboxed that i *think* will answer your questions:

15. Nian

Nian Member

So we get that having four ranks in a system gives best results. Mostly 2x16GB dual rank or 3x8GB single rank are tit for tat.

What people want to know, and it's not been tested. Is what do you get with a 4x16GB dual rank config?

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I haven't watched the HU or GN videos yet (thanks for linking them), but yeah, having 2 ranks per channel was specifically mentioned as an advantage in the Canuck's video.
    Just a bit surprised they didn't include 4 ranks per channel (4 x dual rank modules) in their testing as well.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  17. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

So I was tossing up whether to post here or in the 3080 thread lol. Here won!

Finally got all my bits so I can start using the 5900x that I bought around a month ago, along with the Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, and the 32GB 3600mhz trident, and the Zotac 3080 Holo. And the new Phanteks P500A that I needed coz the 3080 wouldn't fit in my old case! Well, aside from the Silverstone 1200w Plat PSU that turned up at work today. But I couldn't wait so I built it with my old Zalman 850w lol.

Built it all up, and holy shit there are so many cables for power and rgb to fans (three front, and 1 rear case fans... and 3 on the cpu cooler radiator as well) it's like a spiders web at the back of the case lol. Slight worry when it wouldn't start up, but i finally figured out that the case power switch cable should plug into the motherboard power switch plug rather than the power switch led plug. Funny that. Also the Zotac doesn't like the PCIE x3 extender cable to have the GPU horizontal vertical. Had to take that out for it to boot. Weird. Anyway... I still have to learn the fu of the rgb. I don't want to live with unicorn spew all the time. But at least it's running!

Because I was pretty wrecked Saturday when I got it going, I couldn't be bothered yet with a clean build. Haven't even reinstalled Windows yet. Also didn't install motherboard drivers haha. Straight into CP2077! Funnily enough that's now the third motherboard/cpu/graphics card combo on this install of windows. Still boots up lol. Has a couple of error boxes on startup, then runs fine. I should probably at least do a driver clean and reinstall the nvidia drivers and the motherboard/chipset ones lol. Well tbh i should really reinstall Win 10, it's around 4 years old now. But yeah, if I don't do that I should at least clean it up haha. Three weeks Holidays coming up from Christmas, I'll probably do it then.

Still runs fine though, I'm actually impressed with MS here. If this was an earlier OS then it would have fell over and not even booted. Winning!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    RnR, boneburner, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

not F12020 :(

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  19. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

I've seen a youtuber with the same issue, i don't think it's limited to any specific piece of hardware. Running everything pcie4 capable, with a pcie3 extension and it will shit the bed, need to fire it up without the extension then set it in bios to pcie3 then it will work with the extension in place, just at pcie3 speeds.

No personal experience of the above, just letting you know.

MUTMAN and FuzwaldQO like this.
  20. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Funnily enough I just had the same thought about 10 mins ago. I'll try that when I head home. I reckon the slot auto senses what the card is and what the card is capable of, and the cable stops it from sensing it properly, maybe? Edit: On more reflection... the GPU and the mb slot are talking to each other and say "hey, we are both pcie x4, lets run at that!", whereas the riser cable has no smarts and can't say "wait a minute, I can't do that!"... rather, it just doesn't work. So needed to set the slot to pcie x3 so it says that, and the card says "ok, I'll slow down so you can keep up," and everyone is happy.

Will have to keep an eye out for a pcie x4 cable.
    Something like a 90 degree version of this maybe?
    https://www.amazon.com.au/LINKUP-Hi...ds=pcie+4.0+riser+cable&qid=1608525925&sr=8-1

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020