1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. PJDeane

PJDeane Member

I'm also running a 980pro on 7C84v14 (- Updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 Patch C) which I assume is the equavalent release... What issues? Mine is doing it's thing fine it seems, though I am wary Samsung haven't released their own drivers for them yet.

2. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

First one Windows was saying it had bad blocks but couldn't find it with any program, still sent it back to Scorptec for RMA. New ones in now, haven't installed Windows or created a volume on it yet and I'm having constant graphic crashes with all games, perfectly fine before it was in. Gonna pull it out tomorrow and make sure it's the drive causing the issues because Windows did update earlier.

Cant be 100% sure it's the new M.2 causing issues because I did pull my case apart and reverse it earlier so maybe some cables aren't plugged in right but I doubt it seeing I checked everything and the only new thing is the drive. Could also be the motherboard, gonna have to waste some time testing :mad:.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  3. PJDeane

PJDeane Member

That's a weird one that's for sure.

4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah... Pulled the drive out last night and I'll do some testing today, if everything works fine then either I got a shit drive, Windows LTSC doesn't like or or the boards fucked. Could also be Nvidia drivers seeing I have no end of problems with them.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  5. PJDeane

PJDeane Member

For all the hate AMD drivers get I've never had issues with them outside some games being weird at launch sometimes and for the first time in 15 years I'm running an NVIDIA card and the very first time I update it it starts shitting itself, so I feel you there...

6. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah I had constant problems with my 460 SLI, AMD 290 was fine, 1070 especially with RDR2, constant problems. I think AMD drivers are more stable especially once a cards been out for a while but Nvidia are just horrible all the time lol.

Back on topic though, forgot to mention this. If anyone with an ASRock board is having issues with games, update the BIOS. Friend had problems with Hell Let Loose crashing constantly, updated the BIOS and it's been running fine since.

7. Malakai

Malakai Member

Trying out new ASUS beta BIOS for my X570 board today, no surprises so far but running stock settings because I'm doing production work today. I will try and push some limits tonight though. Hopefully curve optimizer is better because I didn't have much luck with it on the previous BIOS.

As for the changes to this BIOS the only difference I can see is an update from:
    AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 Patch C
    to
    AGESA V2 PI 1.1.9.0

8. cevtech

cevtech Member

I went from not able to run anything above 1800FCLK to 2000FCLK with new bios. There are a couple WHEA errors I can see but no crashes. Gone back to C14 3600:1800 setup from C16 4000:2000

Curve optimizer seems to do its job (5950x), I've done all core -25. HWiNFO shows all cores hit minimum 4.95GHz at some point, few on 5.05GHz

Custom water, dual 360 rads on CPU until I get the GPU block.

Edit

Board - MEG ACE X570
    Version
    7C35v1D6(Beta version)
    Release Date
    2021-01-12

9. Malakai

Malakai Member

You got -25 in curve optimizer with a 5950X??? No crashing at low load? That's a golden boy right there, I got resets at very low load when set to -11 on my 5950X. Now I'm thinking that setting anything lower than -10 is likely hardly worth the effort.

10. cevtech

cevtech Member

Which board are you running?

upload_2021-1-14_13-18-51.png

11. Malakai

Malakai Member

ROG Strix X570-I Gaming, I just noticed after taking this screenshot that max boosts seem to be down a bit on this new beta BIOS.

2021-01-14 12_36_11-Window.png

12. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

After installing my new side panel and fan I ran up Folding at home across both the GPU and CPU to see how things fare at stock settings.

The GPU is doing very well... who have though it would like fresh air!! Although at this point, it's only running it's cuda cores so it's not really a test I van compare with anything I've done before, anyway, that's something to be done later.

The 5800X is what we are here to talk about.

An hour or so in with the CPU pegged at 100% and things look pretty stable. Ambient is 24.3C in this room, the motherboard temps are sitting at 38C, which is pretty good really given how much power the 5800X and 3070 are pulling.

The CPU is running under a Cooler Master 240mm AIO cooler, fans are set to auto but are basically running at 95-100%.

Temps according to the ASUS AU Suite are 84C on the Package and 74C on the CPU. Ryzen Master reports 83.4C so it looks like they are both reading the same sensor.

Maybe a little warmer than I would expect given the cooler, but it's sucking down a lot of power.

Hitting pause on the workload sees temps drop instantly and within 15 - 20 seconds the CPU is 51C Package and 43C Core with the fans auto slowing back to basically inaudible.... From what I have seen this isn't much over idle for this CPU. Hitting go again and temps are basically instantly back at those levels. I'll have a go at gaming later and see how it fares under a more normal workload.

I'm using a tube of thermal compound I got a few years back and have used for a few builds, none of which have had any issues so I believe it's good, the way it behaves ramping up and down temps lead me to believe it's all working as well as it can be? If anything I think we are hitting the limits of the thermal interface itself rather than the cooling capacity of the heatsink solution. Reading around the internet it seems that this is normal behaviour +/- a few degrees for the 5800X.

HWInfo:
    upload_2021-1-14_15-58-30.png

James086 likes this.
  13. PJDeane

PJDeane Member

I've had more than a few beers at/after lunch, but that chart looks a bit off to me. Below is mine during cinebench r20. 5800X definitely runs hot punching out it's best on all cores though, don't worry about that, and what you are saying about temp response sounds right.
    [​IMG]

14. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Any idea what this temp would be Always sits on or around 80 degrees. x570-F paired with a 5800x

not sure.JPG

15. PJDeane

PJDeane Member

Updated HWinfo recently? Looks way different that how my info is reported, could just be flipping out. My first guess would be VRM, but they shouldn't be stressed at all at that load.

16. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Just updated to latest but still the same.

mmm.JPG

Edit: Faulty readings I've read and common on ROG boards.

17. Malakai

Malakai Member

Yeah that's an ASUS board thing... I have similar erroneous numbers too. I would like to know what the VRM temp is but the best I can tell it is either temp 2 or 5 but neither are reporting useful data.

2021-01-14 21_05_58-Window.png

18. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

My formula has different temp sensors but none that get that high

upload_2021-1-14_22-11-32.png

19. robdiddy

robdiddy Member

Currently on 3900x, 5800x are now showing in stock from Umart, PCCasegear, Centrecom, anyone from 3900x upgraded to 5800x?

20. jpw007

jpw007 Member

OJR went from a 3950x to a 5800x iirc