Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. OJR

OJR Member

Nope. The ETA keeps getting moved to the next day. Typical PLE.

2. Triangulum

Triangulum Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  3. OJR

OJR Member

Yup ETA is now 3/2/2021. Each day it doesn't turn up they just add another day to the ETA. They need to change the term ETA to we'll just pull a number out of the sky.

EDIT: ETA has been updated to 19/2/2021. :lol: useless.

4. netlord

netlord Member

Mine too, 19/2.

OJR likes this.
  5. Azzan

Azzan Member

Intel users: first time? :)

I was quite surprised by the huge performance increase on RTX3090 from stock to overclocked 10900K.
    All graphics cards run faster with faster processor, but the performance gain on 3090 from the overclocked CPU is much more noticeable compared to 2080Ti.. because 3090 is a much faster card.

Really looking forward to new 11th gen 11900K(aka Pro Gamer CPU), it's gonna be faster than Ferrari 812 Superfast :thumbup:

[​IMG]

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

overclockers: first time? :D

7. Azzan

Azzan Member

lol no.. but stock 3090 & 10900K/5950X(or 10700K, 5900X etc) should score ~33K on Superposition bench, but hopefully we can get 36+K with stock 11900K.

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Really not sure why people come into different product threads to talk up their chip which was made by someone else. Whatever makes you feel better? :lol:

AMD users from 2005: first time? :)
    You'd have to admit a cheaper more efficient 5600X matching a high end power hungry i7 or i9 in gaming is a big win for all us consumers!

But ON TOPIC, my rig is almost complete and I'm also extremely satisfied with the performance and especially the power efficiency/lack of heat and noise! Friends and family don't believe the gaming PC sitting on my desk is even turned on until proven otherwise (not a single LED either, completely stealth). That is what quality heatsinks and a case cooled by <500rpm Be Quiet fans can do.
    Just need to move off this RX 5600 XT which was only meant to be a temporary GPU I picked up here on the forums. Was planning on RTX 3070 or RX 6800, but I haven't had the heart to pay the gouged prices or battle for stock just yet. Very happy with the gaming performance of this machine overall at 1080p, but it's not quite good enough for 1440p high refresh rate in many newer titles without dropping settings down a bit.

9. Azzan

Azzan Member

10. OJR

OJR Member

Just to be clear, I never asked you anything. :lol:

11. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

OK...I guess we do have a free pass to post trash tier memes if that floats your boat right now :thumbup:

Have many people tried undervolting Ryzen 5000 yet? Did see the Optimum Tech video and also read than CTR would be supporting Zen 3 soon which would be cool. I had success with a very poorly binned Zen 2 chip cut around 15% power usage at the same single/multi thread performance which is always nice for temps and power usage. Once I get to a certain level of performance the efficiency is king to me as less power = less heat = less noise which is what I'm all about - was a long time SPCR reader from way back when elastic band mounting HDD's and cutting out the case fan grilles was part of the road to silence. Luckily we don't need to do *that* anymore but I'm always keen to hear about others who are likeminded.

EDIT: Woah looks like it just came out too! ClockTuner for Ryzen (CTR) v2.0 RC3 Download (guru3d.com)

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm just happy I managed to pick up a 5900X pretty earlier. It's still just a placeholder, despite the fact that it is definitely the most capable CPU I've ever owned. It will be sold when I can find a 16 core. Too much is never enough :lol: .

I won't be buying one secondhand though, unless I can get screenshots of performance. There is always that niggling question - why are they selling it? Did they lose the silicon lottery? Without proof of performance I would wait for a new chip and take my chances with the lottery.

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Did he really just say that gpu's run faster with a faster cpu?

Or perhaps...cpus bottleneck high end gpus?

Zenskas likes this.
  15. Phido

Phido Member

On most setups the 5950x will be constrained by thermal cooling. You really need 280 or 360 or dual rads or more. It really is a chip where the silicon lottery doesn't play a huge part in its performance, there is plenty left on the table by power and thermal limits. However, there is always the hope a new boxed CPU is later process and even more betterer.

But there is something very special and satisfyingly opening a brand new 16 core, 32 thread processor that sits at the top of the desktop x86 tree. In both multithreaded and low threaded stuff like games. Its bonkers.
    Given how CPU performance is generally less central to system performance (GPU and internet speed) I imagine I will keep it and it will be amazing for quite a while.

Its great playing a fairly demanding game and seeing CPU usage is only at 7-10%.

I can have 4.5Ghz 16 cores and 64GB ram, 16GB or more Vram all in a mitx box. What a time to be alive.

Zenskas likes this.
  16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Nice info, thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting those extra cores. Not that the 12 core is a slouch anyway :lol: .

I just have a 280 AIO, I'll see how it goes with that when the time comes. It's doing the job fine on the 5900X, with 4.8 all core @ 1.33v.

17. micsway123

micsway123 Member

18. Phido

Phido Member

280's do much better than 240's and my 240 is in a Ncase with a 6800 a bunch of cabling so not ideal for airflow.

My setup struggled with 4.5Ghz all cores. my thermals just kept climbing. I added some more fans, still struggled. After about 25 mins CPU just gets too hot.. So a 280 or a 360 IMO would be a much better fit for OC'inga 5950x.

But still, my setup is beefy. Very few things tie up all 16 cores for 25 minutes. Even rendering/encoding, its just so fast. 33% extra cores would still over come the 7% clock speed advantage you currently have.

TBH I just leave it stock with PBO on. Blindingly fast in everything. Turbos over 5Ghz in light threads.

19. OJR

OJR Member

RnR likes this.
  20. micsway123

micsway123 Member

yea that price is a joke, the Newegg price was $505 delivered, was surprised how long it remained in stock, almost one hour