Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Cheers both, good info. Ok, it seems things have generally improved these last 6 months on the bios-front for most boards, anyways with new technology and architectures, there always are (expected) teething issues. As you guys now, the higher-end boards probably also get more focus from the suppliers, so updates are more frequent.

Glad to see the USB stability is on par with my current Asus setups then, will make the change-over a lot easier. I will order the Dark Hero then and see how that goes for me, better have the board installed and ready to go, just waiting on the cpu. Appreciate your feedback!!

Yep, one reason I looked at both this and the Gigabyte board was for the number of USB ports, I need a minimum of 8-9, I always try to avid going with secondary solutions to add ports, very happy to hear the ports are doing well for you guys.

In other news, did a quick bios-update on my wife's X570 Gigabyte Aurous pro board, had a fair bit of fan-chopping at lower temps, sounded like the bearings were shot. A bios update though gave some nice fan-curve settings, manually adjusted those and much better, meaning the wife is a happy girl. Already started prepping her just then than perhaps I also need a new (AMD) PC - she only slightly tweaked her eyebrows... :lol:

Apart from a few early blue-screens on her setup, related to some dodgy XMP2 std profile settings, her system has been very stable and reliable. Latest bios allowed me to once again enable XMP2, so far so good, seems to be stable after a couple hours of testing. Quite impressed with the 3700x on that system, just waiting for the Corsair AIO to be delivered, will slap that on and push it a bit, as it appears to have some headroom.

Anyway, off-topic, let me go order that Dark Hero board in the meantime and get the system ready for when the CPU is available again.

Much obliged.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. OJR

OJR Member

I actually have a 5900X on order but I knew there would be supply issues so I grabbed a 5800X to play with in the mean time. I figured I'd have no issues selling it later or if I feel extra generous, I'll give it to my son so he can play Fortnite with it. :)

I think I have said this before but one thing that Anus does much better than any other manufacturer is fan control and calibration. You do the Q-Fan calibration in the BIOS, then select one of 4 profiles and it's perfect! Doesn't ramp up or down unnecessarily, keeps your system cool and quiet. It really is that good and that much better than any other manufacturer.

3. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Yep, I have been using high-end Asus on all my builds of the past years, I must have 5 or 6 very good Asus setups here.

My current board is the Extreme Omega, running the 7900x, very mature and powerful bios, I would expect Asus' AMD offerings to be in the same mold. Like said, the 7900x is getting long in the tooth for iRacing, which requires a chit-load cpu power to properly drive the physics, the real-time requirements putting some unique requirements wrt single-core processing power, thus my need to look to something new now. I know I can wait for Ryzen 6000 to drop, but availability probably a year from now as a guess, and not really wanting to go to the steaming hot-pot RL is most likely going to be.

So I will either get the 5900x, if /when they are readily available, but I suspect I will probably have to go for the 5950x, which might be less of an Unobtanium in the near future.

My 7900x /3090 combo is still doing pretty well against my one Teamie's 5900x/3080 combo, the GPU giving me the leg-up in almost all 3dMark benchies anyway, but looking just below the surface, his CPU scores are murdering mine, expectedly so, so I am pretty excited what performance improvements I will see in iRacing. If I can eliminate low fps incursions at troublesome tracks like Imola, Nurburgring, Daytona Road and Barcelona, I will be stoked. I suspect I will be able to enable a few other settings too which will allow me for the first time to run almost everything maxed out on the Reverb G2.

Yeah, it is a crazy-demanding sim, especially on the CPU-side, hence my quest for ever-more powerful processors...especially in the single-core side of things, and here Ryzen seems to be pretty bloody strong.

4. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Are you actually seeing GPU utilisation dips, cpu threads maxing out in usage with hitching or something else that would indicate the CPU is actually the cause for low fps situations? The CPU score on 3dmark benches has almost no carry over to most games. Many 3dm physics/cpu tests will make use of all available cores/threads and scale the score accordingly, something that we know games are not doing.

Ryzen 5000 is an impressive release but at higher resolutions I don't think any modern CPU after about gen 9 intel is a god send upgrade for most gaming situations (I have had a 9700k, 10900k, 3700x, 5900x). I don't have experience with i-racing itself so just speaking generally.

5. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

IRacing puts a huge demand on the cpu due to the physics-loop running in a single core, due to the unique real-time requirements of the custom engine....other tasks are of course running in different threads/cores, but the physics not, and a cpu with the best single-core performance will be on top. Having a more powerful processor from that perspective, helps enabling a few additional tweaks that makes game-play more immersive and often smoother as well.

iRacing doesn’t have any ‘significant’ benchmarking as such, but knowing the sim very well, as well as using the in-sim bar-displays for physics and gpu performance, one can easily detect issues in this area, such as stutters, frame-drops, micro-freezing, a couple other areas of concerns....whilst I have no doubt the 10900k clocked all-core to 5.2ghz will give a very good result, it is indeed not guaranteed to get there with these chips, you need a good lucky-draw for that, from what I see over at iRacing, par for par, the 5700-5900’s, optimised, are doing a very good job.

Of course, I can try to justify, but at the end, my system is stale and I want /need /require a new Pc, dammit - no logic, reason or sound arguments will dissuade me :lol:

Seeing my wife has the x570 board with the 3700x, I might grab the Dark Hero board with that odd-ball 5800x from PcCasegear, use it until I can get the 5900x, then donate the 5800x to my wife and sell the 3700x.

Might just do that, I have a couple spare 1080gtx watercooled cards here, replace her aging 980ti....let’s see, will decide over the weekend, no rush.

When do you guys think we will see 5900/5900x locally available again?

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

If you believe those with NFI, even the 10th Gen Intel must be bottle necking a 3090 (even though it's something like 10% faster than a 3080?) and Ryzen is so shit that it must be bottle necking heaps.

But then again, I'm not a fanboy that's got no clue :lol:

You will see improvements in games at higher resolutions between say 3000 and 5000 Ryzen, but definitely 4K and upwards minimally so. Intel, well, they haven't had much improvements in a while unfortuantely. Hopefully that changes and we see real solid competition again, though AMD don't seem to be showing signs of slowing down or taking their customers for granted like Intel has for years.

7. Supersize

Supersize Member

Never mind, seems its a HWinfo bug on some x570 motherboards. :rolleyes:

8. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

hey guys, I seem to be getting some real high voltage spikes when under no load/idle
    I have not adjusted voltage up at all in BIOS or anything else.
    I have lowered LLC back to auto - CTR 2.0 I did run diags, and went from bronze to silver adjusting the LLC up as I was getting 3.5% voltage sag on auto. But This is the first time I have noticed such high voltage spiking. I can often trigger it by letting the system sit for a bit, then wiggle the mouse and wham a spike at 1.48 or more. Tried generic USB mouse, same deal. It may spike by itself too.

Once under load, like running the CTR diags, it never spikes.
    CTR, HWinfo and Ryzen Master all agree with the voltage readout.

upload_2021-2-17_20-22-26.png
    You can see by the average volts the spikes are very short, but... Is my CPU going to die a slow death?

All I have really done is bump memory timing up as below, with increases VCOS and VDDG as below. RAM is at 1.4volts. CPU voltage all stock. I can't get this one to post at 1900 FCLK and didn't want to go jamming more voltage in to try and get there either.
    upload_2021-2-17_20-30-2.png

Do I need to reapply BIOS and start again? On latest 3405

CTR will alert from time to time!

***ClockTuner for Ryzen 2.0 RC3 by 1usmus***
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
    BIOS ver. 3405 SMU ver. 56.45.00
    TABLE ver. 3672068
    DRAM speed 3733 MHz
    02/17/2021 18:35:37
    Too high voltage!
    Immediate system reboot required!

9. OJR

OJR Member

Perfectly normal behaviour.

10. Supersize

Supersize Member

Mine's the same.
    [​IMG]

But I had to add a +0.05v offset for fix the Cache Hierarchy Error.
    Seemed to do it, it only happened running Heaven, which had low CPU usage.

This I find interesting, before adding the offset I'd get a low of 74% for some reason.
    BIOS issue maybe.
    [​IMG]

11. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

I'm still having a panic here. Never saw CTR warn of a high voltage before!?!

Just did a reset BIOS, removing Corsair iCUE...

12. OJR

OJR Member

jpw007 likes this.
  13. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Seems a little overboard in my case.
    If I do an all cores Prime95 test, no issues. Max temp 61 degrees, 4.5Ghz ish clocks
    If I load up 2 cores, 80 degrees + instantly and 1.4Volts+ It also seems to crash every so often. RAM solid but will test again.

EDIT. Prime95 not crashing, when CTR running, it controls prime95 even if you think you are, it shuts prime95 down if CPU goes above 80 degrees. Without CTR can run prime95 on 2 threads, does hit 86 degrees every once and a while, hovers around 83. at 4.65Ghz

Enable all threads and yeah, it realises it can't pump that much voltage in, and drops power right down, and 66 degrees max, around 4.5Ghz...

This BIOS update has really changed the default behaviour of my system... Calming down slowly :p

14. Malakai

Malakai Member

Stop freaking out dude, it’s perfectly normal. It’s fine when the load is low or not many cores are fully loaded. Just don’t think you can set 1.5v fixed at a high clock speed. I’ve seen some people ask that on FB. :)

15. micsway123

micsway123 Member

16. millen

millen Member

...and they're gone...

17. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

18. TheImp

TheImp Member

So tempted to buy a 5950X since my 5900 would be easy enough to sell.

Decisions decisions.

19. woznme

woznme Member

Just grabbed a 5900x from newegg minutes ago while browsing...out of stock minutes later... lucky grab i reckon. $937 delivered

20. woznme

woznme Member

5950x runs a little hotter, i'd stay with your 5900x