Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Triangulum

Triangulum Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  2. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Umart have been showing stock appearing from time to time, but they don't have a backlog of back orders like other retailers who accepted preorders early on (Umart only let you order when it's actually in stock), so others are probably getting them too, but they're all going to backorders.

Surprised the 5950X is still available today - they are charging over RRP, but they must have got a good few come in today.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I don't have the 16 core but a H115i is working just fine on my 5900X.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Gibbon likes this.
  4. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I have my 5950X on a Dark Rock Pro 4 and have no issues with temp. Stock it's lovely at ~ 65C stressed, with PBO and custom curve it's only in the mid 70's all core stressed. I do run liquid metal though.

I've had mixed luck with these on AIO's and open water, they're OK stock but I think the microfins in the centre and the vertical jet plate slit really starves the CCD's for cooling when they're putting out higher watts. I've been super disappointed with my EK velo block on my 3900X, it's certainly no better than when I had the Dark Rock on it.

It's good that brands like Techn and Bykski have figured out that a horizontal jet plate over the CCDs might be a good idea...

hairy likes this.
  5. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Yeah I've got my 5950x on a nh-d15s and it's great. Not a small cooler obviously though.

6. OJR

OJR Member

The 5900X IS the 12-core.

jpw007 likes this.
  7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

120mm push pull will handle up to 300 watts. You'll be fine.

8. Triangulum

Triangulum Member

Let's hope! Apparently I'm in the first 10 backorders with CPL, but they have no news or ETAs from AMD at all.

9. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Looked like Umart had the 5950x in stock until about an hour ago - definitely still in stock this morning. Must be a few coming in.

EDIT: No, in stock again now! Pretty sure they were briefly out of stock when I checked a while ago, but back now.

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I know. I meant to say I don't have the 16 core...

jpw007 and OJR like this.
  11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

You've delidded a 5950X?

12. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Oh nah, just LM on the IHS. I don't think there is any benefit to delidding, I think any of the benefit can be had just from lapping the IHS.

13. micsway123

micsway123 Member

14. arasta

arasta Member

i can never remember which way the ccds lay offhand. by horizontal you mean that the jet plate is in line with teh 'ryzen' text on the lid, or perpendicular to it?

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

When it comes to soldered chips, the risk vs benefit of delidding is just not worth it. That's why I was surprised, you'd only get 2-3° improvement at most for a much more significant risk delidding a soldered chip. There is however a massive gain in replacing Intel's paste with LM when delidding, on those chips to which that applies.

I'd question the value of using LM on top of the IHS too. I'd be surprised if you had any gain at all vs a decent quality paste on top of the IHS.

16. James086

James086 Member

That matches my experience. I have done both liquid metal and thermal paste on the IHS of my 5800X and saw a small improvement (about 5 degrees under constant load, water cooled) with LM but it could have been due to the ambient temperature, it wasn't a controlled test and I didn't measure it. I have noticed a 5 degree change in GPU temperature on a cold day too so ambient could have been the culprit. Pretty small benefit if there is any.

17. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

The socket is sideways in AM4 motherboards, so the ryzen text is also sideways (rotated to 3:00, with the dimms above it). The CCD's are on the right side of the CPU inline vertically, so when it's sideway's they're at the bottom inline horizontally with the pcie slots.

It depends on the heat density, so W/mm2 it needs to dissipate. The chiplets are small, if you're running a lot of wattage drawing as much heat from directly above them as fast as possible is always going to give an advantage. This is even apparent with intel chips when they soldered and made the die thicker with added silicon. If your power usage (and therefore the heat you need to transfer and dissipate) is low (or you have a large die/surface area) you're not going to notice much of a difference, but if your heat output is high it can make a significant difference. I put LM on everything, because why not? It's usually good for ~ 5C improvement against a decent paste but in some cases I've had 10-15C increase (usually laptops) It's either going to increase performance or reduce fan noise.

This is the same reason why AIO's can struggle once overclocked on the larger core counts as I was mentioning before. It's obviously more effective to transfer heat through a 3mm thick IHS than for it to spread over a 30mm square, if that wasn't the case there would be no need for heat pipes or vapor chambers to exist.

18. arasta

arasta Member

i still havent installed a block on my ryzens yet, i was thinking to lay the microchannels so they are perpendicular to the ryzen text, so the jetplate slot should be parallel with the text? i dont think that got answered but it seems the difference is only a matter of a °C or two in orientation. i did look at der8auers custom offset block plate but i dont think he covered that there. it is supposed to yield a 7° drop there, which is why i was asking...

(11 mins on)

19. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

If you have an EK block or similar you should be able to rotate the acrylic on the top, which I would definitely do if I were you. I completely forgot about that derbauer realignment tool, I think it's definitely worth getting if you're trying to chop temps for OC.

20. v81

v81 Member

Arctic.de started shipping their AIO liquid coolers with a configurable mount that allows offset mounting on AM4 out of the box.
    All the old stock should have worked it's way through the supply chain now.
    My 280mm unit purchased 3 months ago on Amazon included the offset mount... bad sadly not a manual.
    I was aware the CCD was in the corner (5800X) but didn't put 1 and 1 together when i installed the cooler.
    I'll re-mount mine at some point, but not in a rush to do it.

Re the cooler in general, i like it.
    Last was a Kraken, NZXT cam software was a cancer that can die in hell.
    Glad to be done with stupid drivers and bullshit, and love the simplicity and performance of the new setup.

Gamers Nexus dropped a vid on it a few days ago...