1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. RnR

RnR Member

New N7 capacity at TSMC in Q1 2021 that AMD has access to will be dedicated to RDNA2, Zen 3 and CDNA production. Sony asked AMD to up their production of the PS 5 Soc, but was politely rebuffed.

Rumours snippets from twitter.

Unsure if other parts of the production line has been upgraded as well. Apparently its not easy to add capacity to ABF substrate manufacturing for example.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    arasta and MUTMAN like this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

This is Apple moving off N7 and AMD picking up the spoils iirc ??

3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Silly question, but does that mean potentially increase supply all across the board i.e. PS5, XSX, XT6 series, RTX3 series? (though i know i'm ignoring your PS5 SoC comment)

4. RnR

RnR Member

Console production is 'steady'. Nvidia is not using TSMC for its RTX series. We should see better availability of Ryzen 5000 cpu's and Radeon 6000 gpu's in the next few months as the increase filters into the retail channel. *IF* all other production constraints have been solved at least partially.

arasta and jpw007 like this.
  5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Hopefully it pans out. I'd really love to see increased availability of both the cpus and gpus for the sake of competition, and because I'd love to see the demand for 5900x's to be satieted enough that they're back to or even drop the rrp price.

I've got an itch.

6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

is the 'new' capacity genuinely new capacity, or is just apple moving away to N5/N3 that has freed up the capacity ?
    if its new capacity then its going to be constrained, if its just an existing slot thats now available to AMD then increased output is 'yes'

7. RnR

RnR Member

You could be right in the Apple transition freeing up more lines of N7. We know that the N7 A13 soc is used in "the iPhone 11, 11 Pro/Pro Max[3] and the iPhone SE (2nd generation)." The pro/pro max are no longer produced, but the 11 and se still are. But given that their new range is all using the A14 soc on N5 we might assume that N7 based Apple products are produced at a lower volume.

In the end, all the rumour knows is that AMD has more capacity and the console's are not getting it. Where its coming from is a bit of a guess work :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    arasta and MUTMAN like this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

love it :)

TSMC told me, but i had to promise not to tell anyone else :lol:

arasta and RnR like this.
  9. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

10. cevtech

cevtech Member

Second day running it, no issues from this side. 5950x @ 2000IF DDR4000C16, Curve optimisation @ -25

I've seen boosts @ 5150MHz at times. I have seen some WHEA errors but no crashes. Most likely drop to C14 3600:1800IF if it proves to be unstable.

11. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Yeah I'm hoping to get a bit more out of my 5950x, I have high average core speeds but no individual exceptional cores.

What voltage if I can ask? I'm keen to try CTR for the first time with the new bios as well.

12. cevtech

cevtech Member

Everything auto except the memory which is 1.45v

13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

My precious ....

IMG_4554.jpg

Had to pay above RRP (Umart), but I don't care. In the last week I've gone from "I'll wait this gen out" to replacing everything. Couldn't help myself.
    Now just have to wait for Scorpy to get my 980 Pros in stock, and then find some time to build it :D

Phido, SKITZ0_000, TheImp and 2 others like this.
  14. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Hot take coming in - this CTR thing is pretty good. Went from CB20 of 9496 to 11072. I set the BIOS LLC to Mode 3 after the initial run showed 4.6% vdroop and it apparently made a big difference. Still playing around.

Gibbon, MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  15. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Gratz.

I've went through pretty much the same thing.

I started thinking I was buying a PS5 so I only need to upgrade my graphics card and that will do me. Then the new Ryzens hit and I'm like sweet, a 5600x and a 6800 or xt will go pretty well and should be cheap. Bought a 5600x, s/h b550 mb off the forums and some new corsair 3200mhz cl16 ddr4. Then saw a 5900x come up at Umart when no one could get them and decided to grab that, and thought well if I'm going better with the cpu I might as well go better with the mb and ram to go with it. So then I sold the 5600x, s/h mb and corsair ram to a friend who was also looking at upgrading, then bought s/h 3600mhz cl16 ram from here and the x570 Aorus elite to go with the 5900x. Also got a Zotac 3080, which wouldn't fit in my old case, so I bought a new case. Only thing missing was a new ssd so I decided yolo and bought one of them too lol.

Went from "I'll just get a mid range graphic card, to go with my PS5" to full $4000 PC. And PS5.

boneburner, Gibbon and MUTMAN like this.
  16. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

LOL, classic :thumbup:

Heh, yeah, my plan was always to upgrade everything about now, and trickle down my current PC (which I use for work, and is now 2 yrs old) to replace the old "family PC" upstairs. Then all the stock availability crap gave me a good dose of the shits, and I decided to sit this generation out ... but then some 5950X's came up at Umart, so I changed my mind :)

I'd already bought a new monitor and GPU (already in my current PC now) in the last month. Should have all the other bits next week sometime, all going well.

upload_2021-2-24_22-22-50.png

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  17. OJR

OJR Member

That's a pretty sweet rig. The only thing that gives me a slight Forest Whittaker eye, is the Corsair fans and commander. With those you will need to use iCUE, you will want to bin your PC within a week of using that filth.

Gibbon and MUTMAN like this.
  18. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Hehe, yeah. Using the same fans/AIO/Commander setup now without any issues though. They finally fixed the high CPU usage in iCue, and it seems to run alright now. Well, in my current system, anyway ;)
    It'll probably prove me wrong in the new setup and make me want to set fire to it :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    OJR likes this.
  19. Phido

Phido Member

Welcome to the club!

Gibbon likes this.
  20. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Weird thing is... with all the waiting for out of stock stuff that people have done, I've been pretty lucky with all of it.

I bought the 5600x when they first came out before all the stock went and everyone realised that they were going to be hard to come by. But I really wanted 8c+ so...
    The upgrade to 5900x at Umart. I just happened to refresh their page when they had stock online, at rrp too which was nice. They were gone after my purchase finalised.
    The Zotac AMP Holo... again I happened to refresh the Scorptec page just as they listed the approx 5 cards they had at rrp. Grabbed one, and again they were gone after I went through the buy process. I haven't seen them in stock since.
    Everything else was easy, aside from waiting two weeks for delivery of the case when I couldn't use my 3080 lol.

Build turned out pretty good for a thrown together one with no planning and just grabbing things as they were available haha.

Ryzen 5900x
    Coolermaster ML360R RGB (shit fan controller, gonna have to do something about that)
    Zotac AMP Holo 3080
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
    GS Trident 3600mhz cl16 32GB (second hand off ocau)
    Corsair Force MP600 gen4 1TB
    Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB
    Phanteks Eclipse P500a with extra PT 140mm fan at rear
    Silverstone 1200w plat (second hand off ocau, hardly used)

Inside.jpg pretty lights.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Gibbon likes this.