Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Just download it.......duh

OJR and MUTMAN like this.
  2. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Ryzen's apparently have ECC support but I went to have a look at a motherboard to suit and the only ECC RAM it takes is unregistered which unlike the usual registered ECC found in servers is uncommon and there's not a lot of choice available and furthermore is more expensive than both standard RAM and registered ECC.

Question 1. Are there any Ryzen motherboards that take registered ECC, I suspect the answer to this question is no.

Question 2. Is there anyone here that uses even unregisterd ECC in a large way e.g. for content creation or VM's where they actually do have a need for ECC?

Question 3. Does the ECC function actually work or is it just the case that it accepts unregistered ECC and works in non-ECC mode?

3. RnR

RnR Member

4. Snoops

Snoops Member

5. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Interesting but I'm not quite sure what to make of this statement Unlike DDR4, all DDR5 DIMMs will have in-chip ECC, where errors are detected and corrected before sending data to the CPU. There will still exist non-ECC and ECC DDR5 DIMM variants; the ECC variants will have extra data lines to the CPU to send error detection data, enabling the CPU to detect and correct errors that occurred in transit. so as far as I can figure the internal ECC will only protect the data while its sitting in RAM and nowhere else but if you want it protected all the way through you will still most likely need server CPU's for that.

P.S. just read this comment on that reddit link "The purpose of them adding chip level ecc is so they can ship larger chips with more defects, successfully" so I presume if they have a row with one permanent defective bit the "chip level ecc" will patch over it and you're none the wiser, a bit like cheap camera sensors that don't give you RAW images because they may have defects and the JPEG process averages over the defective pixels and again with you none the wiser.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  6. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Since I had my computer stolen from my car while travelling to QLD, I no longer have my 5900X. I had just upgraded to 64GB of DDR4-4200 CL15 GSkill ram and 6900XT Nitro+ just to make it more painful. It turns out that neither the comprehensive insurance on the car or my home contents insurance will pay out either - the contents insurance won't cover items in transit and the car insurance won't cover items stolen from the car, only damage to the car in the process, such as a window broken in the process of the theft, something that didn't happen.

Somehow I had left the car unlocked, I was sure that I'd locked it, while I had a couple of hours of sleep in a tent beside the car. The PC, being in a custom wooden case which didn't fit in the boot, was on the back seat. Cheeky bastards...

Now I'm back to my 3600 and 64GB Klevv c16-3200 which runs happily at c16-3600. Not being willing to spend a bunch of cash again right now, I will wait for the next gen to drop before upgrading again.

The GPU is a lowly GTX 760 too, a card which I'd borrowed and have NFI who I borrowed it from, so if it was anyone reading this, drop me a message so I can give it back.... as soon as I can afford a new GPU.

As to ECC, I know my spare entry level Asus X570 board runs ECC RAM, even with the 3600, but NFI if it needs to be registered at all. I'm pretty sure all AM4 boards run ECC though, just not sure if it needs to be registered at all.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    jpw007 likes this.
  8. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Mate I am so sorry to hear that, Truly :upset:

At least you had a fallback rig to go to...

Ratzz likes this.
  9. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Ouch, mate, that sucks. You don't mess with another man's pc, well, unless you're setting their browser homepage to lemonparty or something but you don't steal it!

Ratzz, jjjc_93, Gibbon and 2 others like this.
  10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'd completely forgotten about this. Thanks for the google :thumbup:

11. RnR

RnR Member

I've never known about this. How do you scrub your browser history?

OJR and jjjc_93 like this.
  12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

format c: /q

OJR and RnR like this.
  13. OJR

OJR Member

Thanks for taking one for the team RnR. I will now not google lemonparty.

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Lemonparty is disgusting.

Meatspin, now that is actually funny.

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. RnR

RnR Member

Once bitten... yeah nah...

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

You spin me right round baby right round

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Wish I didn't have to be reminded of either tbh

MUTMAN likes this.
  18. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I actually thought this was the intel thread at first, and with their amazing launch these all seemed pretty on topic. Their loyal customers are definitely getting fucked.

MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  19. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

what have I done

Triangulum, arasta, MUTMAN and 3 others like this.
  20. Triangulum

Triangulum Member

Stock next week? https://www.pccasegear.com/ryzen5000

Model Name: Ryzen 9 5950X
    Orders filled up to: 04/12/2020
    Fill Rate: 84%
    Next shipment information: We were expecting to clear our remaining orders in March, however this shipment did not arrive into Australia. We are expecting the majority of orders (up to approx. 25th Dec) to be filled late next week, with the remainder tentatively expected the following week. Update 31/3: We have just received confirmation of another shipment next week, which means we should fill all orders late next week or worst case - early the following.

netlord likes this.