Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

Slow pricks need to update their BIOS releases more regularly. Still waiting on a final/not beta BIOS for AGESA 1.2 and persisting with USB disconnects and intermittent BSODs.

2. OJR

OJR Member

Sorry, completely missed this.

Gigashat hardware wise is definitely up there with Anus. Software is where they fall down, specially RGB and fan calibration. My system is MUCH quieter using RoG boards.

their BIOS is almost as good as Asus and I would go as far as saying second best out of the top tier manufacturers.

Gigabyte also use this piece of crap framework software called App centre that is required for any of their Windows software to run. This includes their RGB and system monitoring software. If you don’t need these it’s best to avoid installing any of the Gigabyte software, it’s fucking awful.

Then Asus have their sneaky armory crate junk that they try to sneak on when you least expect it.

I would give them a shot. They are much better value than Asus and the other 2 brands are junk.

Edit: Gigabyte are also more frequent with Bios releases.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    mAJORD likes this.
  3. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yeah, sounds like they've improved since 370x .. Their hardware was rubbish then along with rubbish bios

Giga were my go to all through the K10 era.. Excellent boards, excellent BIOS, dunno what happend.

MUTMAN and OJR like this.
  4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Funny how we all have differing opinions. I would rank the big 4 as Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte and MSI, in that order. Mostly based on BIOS preference, they all have their own low, medium and high end hardware.

MUTMAN, nCrypt and OJR like this.
  5. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

As being the owner of the Impact and STRX X570 ITX boards, and having built two mates PC's with the gigabyte X570 Master, after using both, i dont see who the hell would ever want to buy gigabyte, holy crap did we have some major teething issues with the gigabyte master x570

granted it was on the original bios for the zen3 chips, and those issues are long sorted, but the asus boards just worked with zen3 out of the box, no questions asked, 2000+ IF on both my 5950x and 5800x easily, however couldnt get the master booting above 1600 IF (mem 3200+)

Again fixed now, but that experience difference between asus working out of the box and gigabyte not, really makes me not want to use gigabyte. last gigabyte board i had in my own PC's (except for current X570 gaming in my server with R5 3600), was an X58 UD7 with my i7 980X, gigabyte were awesome 12 years ago.....

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Interesting - I didn't realise how brand-loyal I actually am.
    Just realised that since the first PC I built for myself using an Asus P55TP4XE socket 7 board back in 1994 or 1995, I've never had any other brand motherboard.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    MUTMAN and OJR like this.
  7. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I prefer Asrock because their bios is more traditional and what I'm used to, I find it quick an easy to navigate (settings not hidden all over the place), can change a setting and quickly save as a new profile, etc. They also have excellent bios recovery (for unstable OC etc) on all their board models (not just the flagship).

I'll also look to spend the minimum amount on the board, providing it has the features or specs I need, then work around it. Asrock used to be the kings of this in their glory days (maybe Z170 and before?) though these days they're relatively in line with other manufacturers. The price difference between low end and high end boards can be a few hundred dollars with minimal tangible benefit for daily use, maybe just a cosy feeling from having jacked VRM's, or flashy heatsinks and rgb.

When the 5000 series came out I bought a B550 MSI Mortar because it was cheap, had in-built wifi 6, cpu-less flashing (which just made it easy without cpu swapping). Outside of the zoomer-ish bios, it's treated me well, particularly with stable and frequent bios releases.

I find Asus decent though I don't like using their bios layout or recovery, and I think their boards are overpriced for what they give you - they're basically the opposite of what I'm after.

I don't have much recent personal experience with Gigabyte but something I will say, they have been somewhat at the center of the WHEA/USB issues on 500 series boards with 5000 series cpu's. Anecdotally I have a couple of mates with them and they have had a lot more issues than on the MSI, Asrock and even Asus boards. If you go on the Gigabyte forum bios thread there are a lot of angry people, bios releases seem to be constant releases of unstable beta's which don't address or fix the issues people are having. I would be cautious getting a gigabyte board at the moment on AM4 500 series, definitely at least check the threads and look up the model board itself and see if it's a problem child without a fix.

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. Triangulum

Triangulum Member

It's been a long wait, but the AMD family has been reunited! Ordered them both at RRP back in December if you believe it. :leet:

As for motherboards, I've somehow always ended up with ASUS, they've always been highly compatible for becoming dual booting Hackintoshes. Started off with a P8P67 PRO (ATX), then went with a Z97I-PLUS (mini-ITX), now onto a Crosshair VIII Impact (in the unusual mini-DTX format).

Attached Files:

Sgt Bilko, Gibbon, arasta and 6 others like this.
  9. OJR

OJR Member

Feels Goodman!

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Very nice!

11. netlord

netlord Member

It has begun!

RAM and NVMe are in, but the MSI motherboard's nvme heatsinks did my head in!

I couldnt remove the tiny screw off the nvme heatsink, so the drive was just sitting in while I looked for solutions. After a bit of youtube and googling, I still didnt have a clear answer. I thought about removing the Gigabytes heatsink off, but I liked the copper finish and didnt want to mess around with it.

Next day, I thought id try again and look at my spare case screws that came with my Lian Li case, but there was nothing suitable.
    I thought id check the motherboards contents in case there were some screws... YES! At least MSI gave us 3 nvme screws in a tiny plastic satchel, so now the nvme is secured!

Attached Files:

Gibbon, coolroy and FuzwaldQO like this.
  12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

This, I like. A lot. Even the BIOS looks great. I'm looking forward to hearing about his experience with this board over the next few weeks. NZXT branded B550 Asrock board.

RnR likes this.
  13. netlord

netlord Member

Next, the very imported and yet somewhat superficial upgrade - Half Life Alyx mouse pad!

Attached Files:

OJR likes this.
  14. OJR

OJR Member

Easy 100mhz+ boost clocks.

netlord likes this.
  15. RnR

RnR Member

Ryzen 5000 APU's are rumoured to be available for retail in June.

MUTMAN and SnooP-WiggleS like this.
  16. OJR

OJR Member

I ruv you Risa!!!

Attached Files:

Zarok77, MUTMAN, arasta and 4 others like this.
  17. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

tenor.gif

MUTMAN, arasta, OJR and 1 other person like this.
  18. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I believe I speak on behalf of Lisa, and most on this forum:

We hate you.

<3

MUTMAN, arasta, Gibbon and 3 others like this.
  19. OJR

OJR Member

Zarok77 likes this.
  20. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

5900x in stock at Scorptec as well... for $50 more than PCCG.

Edit: I paid $859. I thought it was only graphics cards going stupid?

Last edited: May 7, 2021