1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. t8y

t8y Member

as someone with a B350 board still getting daily use, this would be amazing upgrade path for that little beast, while my X570 rig can get a new 3D chip

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. Sledge

Sledge Member

Also AMD is EoL for AM4
    Whereas Intel is at the beginning for LGA1700... so... yeah

3. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

True (I was more focused on performance parity).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  4. Sledge

Sledge Member

I was under the impression you usually get 2 gens out of Intel....

DiGiTaL MoNkEY likes this.
  5. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Edited my post as brain stopped working..but yes if you go AM4 now you are probably done with upgrade paths, but with lga1700 you should get another gen out of it.

But I guess with AM4 in the past you could skip a generation and still get support for the generation after it. As I find I don’t upgrade each year…

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  6. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah i wish i could wait... for that very reason

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Lisa Su has said AM4 isn't dead just yet ....

8. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

More stacked memory or just a platform that has ddr4 availability…we can only hope. Will be interesting to see what ddr5 availability looks like at the end of the year.

MUTMAN likes this.
  9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Yer, no detail in the comments. I think the good doctor cutress might have some more info in the next few days ???

10. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Lisa Su loves you all my children.

BuzzPuppy, MUTMAN and OJR like this.
  11. OJR

OJR Member

We love you too Lisa!!!

jpw007 and MUTMAN like this.
  12. RnR

RnR Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. t8y

t8y Member

just checked my B350 board, its had an update but sadly to AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.5;
    adds 4000 G-Series support but nothing for 5000 series as this version of agesa blocks those CPUs working on x370/b350 - only a320 (only AMD know why)

from some googling, MSI went a different route with their boards and packed them with v2.1.1.0.0.
    "MSI, unlike Gigabyte, used the over a year old AGESA v2 1.1.0.0, which was the last version where the block that intentionally prevents Ryzen 5000 from running on B350 and X370 was not yet present. Such BIOS was made available for the B350 Tomahawk board and some others, it is possible that the number will gradually grow. These BIOSes should now be in Beta phase."

holding out updating as I don't need 4000 support will see if AMD remove the block or GB decide to revert agesa.
    that said, a 4000 would be an OK sidegrade and would mean i could be rid of this power hungry GPU :)

14. Clickeral

Clickeral Member

LGA AM5 Socket to AM4 socket adapter? :p doubt it however

MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

No, unlikely.
    But more CPUs for the socket are still in their sights while DDR5 is in the early stages of its life span.

What that looks like is open to speculation. I wonder if it's not just process improvement (=MHz+) and moar cache (=IPC+), but anything is better than nothing ??

16. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I'll stick with my 5800x for a while yet I think, fomo for upgrading CPUs for me has passed since I've moved to 4k gaming. I've turned PBO back on and done some power limit tuning to keep temps in an arbitrary range that looks good to me. I do almost no heavy multicore work, just gaming and browsing.

ST boost: 4.9ghz (any higher and I lose stability)
    MT: ~4.55ghz
    Max Temp I have seen: 66c

Power settings;
    PPT: 110W
    TDC: 90A
    EDC: 100A
    Curve optimiser: -10

Previously was running an all core OC of 4.7ghz @ 1.25v. Temps around the same.

Hard to tell if PBO is better overall than my all core OC, games feel the same and timespy scores a few hundred points lower with my pbo settings on the cpu score (makes sense as it scales with cores so its loading them all and dropping clocks). CPU-Z ST score jumps from ~645 to 670 though so lightly threaded loads should be decently faster this way, I just don't notice it as I'm always gpu bound.

BuzzPuppy and MUTMAN like this.
  17. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

RnR likes this.
  18. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

My 5800X is running stock with a 280mm AIO cooling it. As with everyone else, it can instantly peg to 90C without increasing the liquid temps very much. In normal usage the fan/pump curve are based on liquid temps and don't get much over 70C in gaming, but if you hit the CPU hard it will hit 90C instantly and drop back to 70C instantly when you stop due to heat just not getting out. If you ramp up the fans/pump it can be kept under 85C.

I can't quite work out how to make that happen automatically since if you tie speeds to CPU temp the everything ramps up and down constantly thanks to the peaky nature of this CPU. If you tie to liquid temps then the CPU spikes to 90C (and throttles a little) and nothing ramps up until the liquid warms up. In reality, there isn't a lot of times that happens for me (outside of synthetic loads) except for a few choice spreadsheets (which probably should NOT be spreadsheets). If I didn't have the NZXT z63 I probably wouldn't even notice... maybe I should just switch the display to liquid temp rather than CPU and stop myself seeing it :p

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  19. t8y

t8y Member

since laptops won't make the jump to ddr5 any time soon + desktop AM4 has wide user base, AM4/DDR4 rigs could end up with some (extra) extended life after all. even if its just desktop revisions of the mobile chips.
    low power chips like that would fill out the rather lacking low end of AMDs lineup if they did this, esp if theres some iGPU chips there too.
    /speculation

th3_hawktemps wise it sounds more or less normal. noise wise; custom fan profile an option?
    i have a behemoth bequiet air cooler, fans are quiet and lowish speed. even when it hits 100%, i don't really notice it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  20. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

If you want to spend a little time tuning you can play with PBO power limits to try and take some of the spiciness out of the CPU. Some reading on it here if you're interested: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-3-chips-pbo-settings-temperature-fix.283776/

Other than that I would just let it go, AMD state that operation up to 90c is considered normal so you're all good despite it being alarming to see. Tying fan speeds to coolant temp is definitely the path to sanity with Zen 3. The constant fan ramping alone would be enough to send me over to Intel otherwise.