1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. RnR

RnR Member

I don't follow. Why would the PC need more than 8 cores when the PC cores can be driven harder than the console cpu's? And the console cpu's are Zen 2's. Not Zen 3's.

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Have a look for the hothardware interview with AMD. He spells it out at around 45 minutes iirc

3. Nian

Nian Member

Its all to do with multitasking. Hardly hard to see that a full computer environment will hit more cores and idle higher than a console. With just a browser, YouTube, and the basic apps. I'm idling at 11% CPU utilization. With every thread doing something.

Mmm. So AMD_Robert said it's only for gaming, and 3D V-Cache doesn't help content creation. They tried twice to ask about the enthusiasts wanting more cores and AMD_Robert completely dodged and avoided the question and desire to want more than 8 cores. Very shit TBH. This is 100% a decision on AMD's part to do with cost and segmentation. They don't want a big core count CPU with 3D V-Cache. They want to also keep 16+ core CPU's with 3D V-Cache to be exclusive to their EPYC lineup for now. Basically they just don't want to make a 3D chip on AM4 with two chiplets.

We know he is full of shit because EPYC wouldn't have the cache if it only helped gaming...

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I think you've missed a couple of points.
    Right now it's a stop gap measure before the next ryzen "7000" release.
    It keeps those with existing AMD motherboards happy with a great upgrade path and stops them jumping ship until they get the 7000s on shelves.
    It keeps the "world's fastest gaming CPU" moniker.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  5. Nian

Nian Member

Exactly. It's the worm on a hook. Not intended for the enthusiast. Just those with money and no brains. Convincing them to stick around and not jump ship.

It is also not intended to be a huge improvement, as they want the real spenders to buy Zen4.

6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Given you're going to jump from a 2700 ?
    Then even a 5600 would be a massive improvement in gaming.
    Save a few bucks by going 5600/x and wait for the next gen before the "big" upgrade ??

Edit- watch the last five minutes of the gamers nexus vid that micsway linked a few posts back.
    Steve sums it up rather neatly

7. Current

Current Member

do these chips work on a x470 board ?

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

it'll be up to each mobo manufacturer to update their bios's, but AMD have updates for X370

9. t8y

t8y Member

a second hand 5950x would be my upgrade path, should see me through for a few years.
    i'd consider am5 for bench rig then filter it down to main like always.

5600x from my main rig would go to my htpc which is running 3600xt / impact / spare bdie itx combo
    3600xt is then free to go into a spare b350 itx / spare bdie build just need another case and psu, maybe go SFF as possible

all of which are overkill for their roles but why not when its here already

big fan of hoarding am4 and samsung here lol

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

it'll be interesting to see where the $$ are better spent ? GPU or CPU

11. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

As MUTMAN said it'll be up to each manufacturer to roll out the updates but a large number of 300/400 series boards have updates for Vermeer already.
    I'm patiently waiting for my little B350 mITX board to get an update then the 5600G is going in (replacing a 2200G).

But AM5, Man I can't wait :leet:

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. RnR

RnR Member

And you are on Zen 1+?

Epyc runs different workloads to desktops. For example about their Milan-X;
    ...and...
    From https://www.anandtech.com/show/17323/amd-releases-milan-x-cpus-with-3d-vcache-epyc-7003

These workloads are not 'content creation tasks'. Don't you think AMD would have released benchies on content creation if they found to have a benefit?

Its intended for the gaming enthusiast. Who wants to keep their AM4 gaming boxen going for much longer. Its meant for guys like you with an older Ryzen that don't want to jump to Zen 4 or an Intel rig to go faster.

I'm really scratching my head why you are ranting at AMD over the release of this chip :)

Same. Day 1 upgrade for me. I'm still on AM3+ :D

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

well, I think i'm in too.
    do want 6000 lappy first though, so depending on release and prices ....

14. Nian

Nian Member

If you have forgotten, the R7 2700X was the fastest Zen+ chip released. I have sat on that and waited for the last round of processors for AM4 to decide what the final upgrade for the system will be. Then I will sit on that processor for a few more years, before building a new system all together. The idea that having a 2700X and it's cores been hit even when idle is not relevant. What is relevant is that cores are hit while even idle, and more cores than a current gen console is the best option when upgrading.

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

*assumption, you use the rig mostly for gaming*
    unless you have to also run some massively parallel task that eats cores, while gaming, then in gaming the core count doesn't really matter if the IPC is better.
    that's why the 5600 would spank your 2700X. It appears you are AMD's target market for the new releases so I'm also confused like RnR as to why you have an issue ???
    you have (great) options at a few price points :thumbup:

16. Current

Current Member

did a little looking around, the 2700x chip is just as good as a 5600, so not worth the 'upgrade' imho

17. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

5600 is faster in both SC and some MC workloads.
    But assuming you are primarily gaming then the 5600 will be faster in everything providing of course you are CPU limited, if not then all good and keep on keeping on! :D

18. Nian

Nian Member

Ok let's get this straight.

1: I bought the best available for that socket when I build my system.
    2: I waited for the last compatible chips, for a final processor upgrade for that socket.
    3: You recommend I go budget, because my old processor is not as fast as the budget chip.

Are you stupid? What the hell! This isn't the "Mediocre Computers Australian Forum". Give your dumb ass advice to some other schmuck. Keep building those systems for granny.

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

So I got this straight.

1. Your current CPU has lasted this long and has viable upgrade path that will go close to 50% performance lift

2. You complain that AMD should release something with more cores

3. You don't understand IPC

:Pirate:

20. Nian

Nian Member

1: The current CPU has done well. But it's 4 years old now. Time for more cores.
    2: Even AMD originally showed it as a 12 core part. = Most people are disappointed.
    3: IPC =/= cores. That fact that you believe IPC is the only metric that matters. means you don't understand the benefit of more cores over pure IPC.