Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. boneburner

boneburner Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Ryzen 3000 @7nm was the nail in intels coffin. Ryzen 4000 @7nm+ later this year will be the hammer and Ryzen 5000 @5nm will be the pit to lower intels remains into.

Its all over for intel with Zen4 ( Ryzen 5000 series ) if they haven't got anything that can compete by then.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  3. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I guess it's really pure speculation at this point but do you think Zen3 will match or beat the single core performance of a 7600k at 5.0GHz?

iRacing in VR is dependent on single core, for me to even consider a change it has to at least match Intel single core performance at 5.0GHz. I feel like with Win10 and having a few other programs running my 4 cores may be starting to have an affect on performance. If with Zen 3 I can overclock a 6 or 8 core and at least match my current single core performance it may be worth while, otherwise I'm looking at a 9600k or 9700k. If I'm going to get a new cpu + mobo with a dead end socket I think I'd rather it be AMD.

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

A 3700X is only a hair away from matching an overclocked 7600K on single core performance already. Zen 3 will beat it hands down.

5. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I assume that's overclocked, I thought there was still a reasonable gap when at each was at their respective clock limits but that sounds promising for later this year.

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So far, overclocking isn't really a thing with Zen. Setting PBO and letting it do what it wants to do is about all you can hope for. Kinda takes away the fun, but I guess it makes it easy for those who don't want to mess around much.

Zen 2 is still only a hair away from a 7600K at 5GHz on single core though, and of course smashes it on multi core. Even the 9900K is not a huge winner even on single core, and it loses in multi.

Zen 3 will beat anything Intel has to offer, single or multi core, overclocked or not.

Personally I'm going to wait for Zen 4, which will be even better, and with DDR5 too, on a new socket. You never know though, maybe Intel will have something special planned by then and take back the crown, but there doesn't appear to be anything on their road map which will do it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  7. Phido

Phido Member

Zen 3 is very imminent and have plenty of platform to roll out on. I imagine AMD will role this out very quickly. We are less than 12 months away from the whole product stack.

Zen 4 could be a significant wait, new tech like DDR5, PCI-E5, new chipsets, new socket, new everything. High price and high end, I don't expect AMD to EOL Zen3 immediately, so there probably won't be a whole lot of cheap ways across to that expensive platform. Fine if you can wait 2+ years.

8. boneburner

boneburner Member

which i technically could - but don't wanna! :lol:

9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If I'm honest I can't really even justify my current 2700X for my use case. Zen 4 should happen sometime late in 2021. I'm hoping I can resist temptation until then :D

10. Phido

Phido Member

IMO Zen3 will be very attractive, be priced to make people adopt. AMD will want the volume with Zen3. AMD will want everyone to see off AM4 with a 12-16 core process in a socket. They want to dominate the market with the huge socket infrastructure they have now.
    Zen4, lots of high end costs.. New design. New platform. New memory. New PCIE. etc. If it comes 2021, expect it late 2021 and higher end launching first. But really 2022 is more likely to be zen4 system building time.

IMO I wouldn't rush to AM5/Zen4.. might be worth waiting until the platform stablises. But YOLO early adopting is fun.

Ratzz and MUTMAN like this.
  11. boneburner

boneburner Member

AM5/Zen4 will have something tho, that AMD hasnt had for years (if they stay on track) and that's increased support from all their partners at launch time. You can see the confidence is back with them now - and that *should translate into a less shaky launch than AM4 had.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Ratzz likes this.
  12. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I've only really followed Ryzen from a distance as there hasn't been enough there for me to upgrade for my use case (although I'm waiting for parts for a 3600 system for my office pc which will be my first Ryzen build), but generally hasn't there been some early teething issues with the release of each new gen? Should we expect Zen3 to be a pretty smooth release, I suppose it won't hurt to wait a month or two before taking the plunge.

13. boneburner

boneburner Member

If i remember rightly, most of the issues were from the AM4 socket and its motherboard chipset variants - which were fkng annoying to get ram working in as intended. It was truly painful.

I cant see them making the same mistake twice...

14. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Where are you getting this information? AMD has overtaken intel in IPC with zen2 :)

9900k at 4Ghz i slower in both single and multi threaded performance then a 3700X at 4Ghz

Zen 2 already has higher IPC then intel's latest and greatest architecture.

The only reason why the 9900k still wins by 5% in games at 1080p is because intel has higher clocks and faster cache.. Zen 3 will remove those two advantages with higher clocks and faster interconnections

https://www.techspot.com/article/1876-4ghz-ryzen-3rd-gen-vs-core-i9/

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Intel's latest and greatest architecture is Icelake , which has higher IPC

16. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Its not out yet... the 9900ks is still intels fastest desktop product in single threaded performance.
    The new laptop parts maxed out still fall well behind a 9900k in performance
    we are talking about 45w VS 200+ watts here so no surprise

17. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Ratzz was responding to me and I was specifically comparing to my 7600k at 5GHz, clock for clock Ryzen wins but at this point in time any Ryzen chip will be a downgrade for my use case.

18. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I wouldn't be using the 9900K single threaded performance as an indicator for the 7600K. You have changes to cache size and speed, imc, security mitigations etc.

I'd be keen to see some data on it, though I would expect lack of threads would far outweigh a negligible difference in single thread performance (if any, either way), especially considering with VR it's not the higher average (when caused by higher peak fps) that benefits you, it's improving the 1% lows, so you don't have frame drops or stuttering (say below that 90fps threshold) caused by increased CPU wait time (due to lack of threads, background or in game utilisation, etc).

If you want to improve your performance I'd first be asking 'do I need more cores, cache or clocks' before just blanketing 'single thread performance' as the only metric. That said, something like a 9900K would tick all those boxes - it's just whether you can tick them for under half the price by going with say a Ryzen 3600. Also, don't forget about the 8700K and s/h options.

19. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Really good 9900k vs 3700k review.. only those two chips reviewed @t stock and overclocked. Clear and to the point.

20. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

iRacing is kinda unique compared to most games but I hear other simulators are similar, sure at some point a lack of cores will impact performance but if you have enough cores then it really is almost solely down to single core performance. Even 7th - 9th gen Intel chips at 5GHz+ aren't capable of running a rock stable 90fps in VR without having to manage various in game quality settings.

What is difficult to determine for me is how much having 4 cores is starting to have an impact with respect to other processes using CPU time. If I bought a 6 core Ryzen I might get a small uplift in performance but I would also get a decrease in performance with the iRacing rendering thread. That makes it very hard to justify spending all that money on a CPU and Mobo. If Zen3 comes along and I can get an increase in single core performance plus an extra 2-4 cores then it suddenly becomes more viable.

I've considered the 9600k route, assuming I can oc that to 5.0GHz I'm getting extra cores but no increase in single thread performance, go higher up the Intel chain and it seems you start having to really worry about cooling and power draw.