Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Just re-releasing Intels current line-up with hyper-threading enabled will make them relevant again (out of the high end flagship), if the price is competitive. They really should have done it sooner.

Attached Files:

2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

they'll need to pull their fingers out soon.
    looks like DG1 is going to be a developer board only

so in summary
    no cpus
    no gpus
    no clue

3. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

"Gaming system" it's such a funny comparison these days between cpus when you have to show a difference at 1080P with a stupidly fast GPU like the 2080TI, who would to game at 1080P with a 2080TI? 1440 minimum and when you look at the CPU comparisons why flush money down the drain when something like the Ryzen 3600 does a pretty damn good job?

Really wasting money spending more than $350 on a CPU these days if you want a good gaming system, history has shown 6 cores to be good value and the newer 6 core cpus beating the older gen 8 cores etc.

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yep, I'd be willing to swap my 8 core 2700X for a 3600X at the moment. I don't see the extra cores as being that much of an advantage for my purposes, and I'd prefer the better RAM support of the 3600X. Not that the difference is huge, but RAM overclocking is my thing these days. I'd love to get my RAM to hit higher frequencies, although its running at c14-3600 at the moment 3800 would be even better :lol:.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  5. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

If Intel behaved like Nvidia, they would have immediately released a 6c12t i5 cpu (basically an 8700K) priced about the same as the 3600X when it was announced, and it probably would have been successful.

They figured it out in the end, with the 10600K released in March. Hopefully things get interesting after that, whether AMD bring out the 4000 series early or if they just give Intel the floor for a few months. It will probably be another trading blows situation against the 3000 series, when the Intel CPU is balls to the wall overclocked it has the single thread advantage in some games, losing in multithread/cache reliant scenarios. Probably enough to claw back some mindshare and get maybe get some reviewer bang for buck recommendations, especially for those looking for safe and familiar.

The 10 core exists solely for product segmentation imo. Since the i5 is 4c8t, the i5 is 6c12t and the i7 is 8c16t they had to have a higher core count tier. In the 9th gen they instead gimped their cpu's down the line by removing hyper threading which hurt them throughout that range, making only the top end CPU really viable or worth recommending. The 10c20t i9 is pretty pointless, I think most would go with the 8c16t i7 for their high end intel builds, and anyone who actually needed more cores would just jump ship to the 3950X. It would take a particularly special niche for the i9 10c20t to be the better option vs an i7 or R9.

6. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Intel can still happily keep churning out cpus on 14nm++++++++++++++++ node because
    they know the demand is still there from OEMs for prebuilt systems and laptops with intel inside.
    Intel still have a dominant market share but with the global downturn & big business looking to save money,
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a shift to AMD especially in the laptop space.

7. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

The issue with the 10600k is that it will use 50% more power and produce 50% more heat matching the 3600 :) .. Few months later when the 4600 comes out it will be 80% more power and 80% more heat while being much slower in everything including gaming.

My guess is that the 4000 series is ready to go as soon as intel release their 14nm products and AMD is just waiting for intel to make their move to see what they need to do to counter intel's CPU's at their given price points.

BuzzPuppy, bob05 and MUTMAN like this.
  8. jvalente

jvalente Member

Hey all,

I'm an intel snob but looking at the Ryzen crowd.

I had a i7-5820k that was great for years and then died. I wasn't looking for an upgrade so went for an i5-9400F. The lack of hyperthreading is killing me workstation wise (getting into gaming and streaming now).

Should I buy the Ryzen 3700x soon or wait for 4th gen Ryzens?

9. RnR

RnR Member

If you need it now, buy the 3700X now. And then upgrade to a 4000 series when you feel the need. Guessing here, but Zen 3 won't be out in retail land before Sep/Oct. They still haven't been announced.

10. jvalente

jvalente Member

Are the mobos compatible between gens?

11. RnR

RnR Member

In the main AMD tries to keep using the same socket for a number of generations of their cpus. A bit different from Intel land.

Zen 3 should support AM4 which has been AMD's consumer socket since 2017 with the release of Zen 1. I believe its too early to announce an AM5 socket for hypothetical DDR5 support. But like I said, nothing has been announced yet.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  12. chook

chook Member

I have nothing I can provide as evidence so take this all as speculation but I am sure that I read something (on the Internet so totally reliable) that Zen 3 would be the last one that does support AM4. Zen 3 will be supported by X570 motherboards because it isn't bringing PCIe 5.0 or DDR5. Those two changes are going to either require, or perhaps provide a handy excuse, to break compatibility.

13. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah thats the internet lore with AMD saying that they will use AM4 for as long as it makes sense technically speaking.
    I can't see why 370 or 470 boards also won't be able to support Zen 3? But I think your X570 mention was just in instead of 'AM4 socket'?
    Yup - agree.

14. chook

chook Member

Not entirely. However my recollection was not complete. Zen 1 won't work in X570 boards and Zen 3 won't work in A320 boards and the X370/B350 boards is what I would still label uncertain.

I was irritated I couldn't find this slide before posting originally so had to go and dig it up. It should help jvalente as it is an AMD document. The 400 or 500 series chipsets will support Zen 3 based CPU's however please consult your motherboard vendor for the latest QVL. ;)

[​IMG]

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-x570-chipset-first-gen-ryzen-support,39474.html

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    RnR and MUTMAN like this.
  15. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

It's changed a bit now with AGESA 1.0.0.4 which includes gen1 support. It's still dependent on the motherboard manufacturer updating and making that AGESA version available though.

chook, MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  16. chook

chook Member

That is pretty cool and will win friends in the Zen 1 owner's club. Robert Hallock from AMD basically said to consult your motherboard manufacturer in the Tom's Hardware article. My instinct tells me that it might end up a little like the whole PCIe 4.0 thing. No technical reason it can't work but AMD decide to turn it off to have less problems.

17. Sledge

Sledge Member

Or the mobo manufacturers don't bother updating the BIOS more likely

18. RnR

RnR Member

19. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

20. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Is Zen 2 the 3000 series? And Zen 3 would have been the 4000 series?