1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yeah, I think I've mentioned in this thread before, but I've still been on the Intel train because I use my PC for both work and play, and a lot of the work software I use my PC for is still heavily single threaded. More of it is slowly taking advantage of more cores, but it's easily still the minority at this stage.

For me it's therefore been about finding a balance between having faster single-thread performance for most of the work I do vs less cores and therefore slower multithreaded in the stuff that does scale OK. It's pretty awesome if I can actually get the best of both worlds and don't have to compromise any more.

2. chook

chook Member

It is actually 15+++++L capacity ;).
    For the most part, PBO is fine as AMD have pushed the chips to a high level OOTB. Given that this is overclockers.com.au some people take that as a personal challenge.

Frag, pH@tTm@N, aphexer and 2 others like this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

oh that burns :lol:

Gibbon likes this.
  4. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

Gonna swap a 3700x to a 5600x because it's a games only rig.
    I wouldn't really bother as I play at 4k but the wife plays cpu bound sim Cities Skylines which should benefit nicely from that extra 20%.

5. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I oc'd my 3700x after just letting PBO do its thing for a while. With CTR being released it's pretty quick and easy to dial in an all core OC without spending a week locked away smashing your DEL key to get into the bios a trillion times. Ended up at 4.32ghz across all 8 cores which is a small reduction from its peak boost of 4.4ghz (that it would see for approx 0.0001secs) but a big boost to sustained clocks under a good load. It also stopped temperature spikes from high voltages being pumped into the cpu to boost it up at low loads. It's definitely still an area worth playing with if your cpu sample is slightly better than average and can at least come close to advertised boost clocks.

I am really thinking I will swap this chip out for a 5600x, similar multithreaded performance and increased single thread should be all I need for gaming. Don't be surprised if I manage to talk myself into a higher sku though :p

Malakai, nCrypt and devolutionary like this.
  6. Nian

Nian Member

I'm glad the X470 chipset has to wait until the end of January 2021. Gives me time to put the cash away for the 5950X

7. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

reason im going 5950X from 3900X, seems to me moving from 12c/24t too 12c/24t, is not an upgrade, regardless of the actual performance increase.

bigger numbers are better obv......

jjjc_93 likes this.
  8. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Please don't encourage me.. :Paranoid:

9. kot0005

kot0005 Member

10. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

my daily is the 3700x, and i want to upgrade that, not that i need too.

will be upgrading the 3900x to a 5950x, but see little point replacing the 3700x with the 3900x. likely just sell the 3900x!

but 5800X, seems like a winner, especially since 8 cores on one CCX, means stuff at latency as only a single CCX, and should clock high, and clock memory high too.

5900x/5950x both dual CCX arrangements, so interesting to see the latency using one CCX compared too 2, and how that affects overclocking on the CPU and the MEMORY!

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. chook

chook Member

I have been thinking about this some more as I was lucky enough to score one of the AUD600 3900X CPU's. If I can move it for AUD550 or more then I would be sorely tempted to get the 5900X. Would be a bit of an extravagance to be honest but oh well, work hard, play hard and you can't take it with you.

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

The 5800x almost seems like the sweet spot, but it's $230 more expensive than the 5600x for 2 extra cores while being only $160 cheaper than the 5900x with another 4 whole cores and 100mhz extra boost clock while maintaining the same tdp. I started writing that in a bit of jest to going down a rabbit hole but the 5900x actually does make some sense if I am already resigned to going for the 5800x. Reviews will be interesting to see how the cpus behave comparatively and the performance hit/benefit from ccx and cache layouts. Either way this *should* be my last upgrade for the next couple of years at least.

What are we thinking a second hand 3700x will go for after release? $350ish?

13. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Why not?

I think you deserve a little extra in your life, especially after being away from us for so long :)

5900X will be huge value :D

MUTMAN and jjjc_93 like this.
  14. Edward05

Edward05 Member

EDIT wrong post :_

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  15. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

5th November Worldwide for Zen 3

28 October is when AMD release BigNavi. (when release i mean do a presentation, who knows when they will actually be able to be purchased)

16. Edward05

Edward05 Member

Glad you know what i meant lol forgot i was browsing the cpu section :) so be the 29th for us then ?

17. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah...Thursday 2am Qld time. Adjust for your location :)

18. chook

chook Member

There are other locations that count? MQGA :p.

MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  19. Phido

Phido Member

I have a 3700x, I think that was a pretty sweet spot in the initial 3000 release. The 3800x didn't make much sense, the 3900x was a lot more and the 3950x wasn't available.

Now, the 5800x is a bunch more expensive, still doesn't include a cooler. You might as well go with the 5600x which does and is better value (and will be multicore - as fast as a 3700x, but much faster in single core), or go the whole hog and get a 12 core or 16 core. TBH the 8 core is actually one of the hardest CPU's for AMD to manufacture, requiring a cpu die with zero defects. So as hard to manufacture as a 16 core, and the 16 core they ship twice as much product on the same purchase. IMO AMD is trying to push existing 3700/3800x owners to upgrade to a 12 core. Its a reasonable business model.

The 3700x was a 65w CPU, but came with an amazing top of the line 125w cooler(!). Those that buy 8 core CPU's are obviously already interested in more cores, or they would have just been happy with a 3600x. IMO AMD probably took a bit of a hit on the original 3700x, to get as many as they could out there. You got the full 8 cores, the very best cooler, they certainly didn't need to include that, they could have gotten away with a cooler two levels lower (a wraith stealth), and was attractively priced. In the 5000 series, you get nothing but the 8 cores and pay top dollar.

IMO the 5600x will probably make the best gaming CPU bang for the buck. No CPU is making use of 8 cores effectively. The 5600x will still likely see off the 3700x/3800x in a range of multi thread benchmarks (just), but destroy it in single threaded performance. It comes with a (fairly crappy but sufficient) cooler too. Its priced at a normal CPU price and for 90%+ of users, its all they will ever need.

But for those who can be tempted, the 12 core is looking pretty juicy. 50% more cores for $150.. Remember when the 3900x launched, move up to HEDT level performance, but for consumer socket costs and size. If you can make use of those cores in any way, your getting a really good deal.

AMD has been very clever about this. Both in platform and CPU.

You can build a system with threadripper multithread performance, fastest ever single thread performance, huge IO, multiple NVME drives, 64GB fast ram+, faster than gigabit networking via Wifi6/2.5Gbe on basically all models.
    Its a compelling platform. Its a platform that shows that desktops aren't dead. For me, what is also killer, is that AMD has made it thermally and dimensionally attractive, it works in an ITX size case.

Compare a new build to a build from ~2018..

CPU cores have doubled - 16 cores into a regular formfactor
    CPU performance - Compare a 1700 to a 5950x, CPU is basically four times faster.
    PCIE4.0 - Has doubled, and in 2018 and older a lot of boards still rocking PCIE 2.0 slots. AMD is purely to thank for PCIE4 roll out
    WiFi6 - Basically doubled Wifi speeds
    2.5GBE - more than doubled ethernet networking speeds AMD has pushed this, intel resisted making 2.5 for a long time.
    NVME - everyone has two of these slots now. most will never look at sata in their box. If your boot drive isn't 3000Mb/s then your doing it wrong. It doesn't even have a cost premium over SATA now.
    RAM Speed - 3600 is a everyday bargain price now. Remember first gen Ryzen, and people complaining about trying to get to 3200 even with high performance kits?
    RAM Capacity - 16Gb is now a min, lots are taking the opportunity to go to 32 or 64. Doubling or quadrupling ram size.
    Both AMD and Nvidia are releasing new gen cards that a significantly faster than previous gens.

Frag, aphexer, jasonmurray and 2 others like this.
  20. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

This is what I am waiting on...gaming benchmarks at 1440p/4k. 5900X is my preference but 5800X or even the 5950X may end up being better for gaming.