Ryzen 5000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

The wifi version of the mortar has white bits

2. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Yeah I'm a big ASUS fan for intel products, I also hope they will see sense in making an effort to create a decent product for AMD this time around since it seems they will be dominating the next little period.

Luno likes this.
  3. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

It's more silver than white :)

4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Like p3t0r said it's more sliver. I liked the Arctic because the solder resist is white but it's damn expensive to do right and they don't sell well.

5. Frag

Frag Member

Same - Asus has always been my gold standard, never had one fail and I've had some running under phase cooling back in Vapochill days for years! :p I have likewise never used AMD on my main PC .. heck only AMD I have had is the Turion II I have in my N40L microserver :p

I am in no rush so will see which boards end up the best for the Zen 3. Only brand I won't touch is Gigabyte and well MSI since their dodgyness came to light.

6. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i have had asus boards die. pretty much all boards for all manufacturers die. thats tech!

again its all personal preference but the x570 asus impact is a stupidly good board. worth it for the price? well thats subjective.

7. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

My personal go to for Ryzen has been Gigabyte (I type this out on my daily that uses a C8H :lol:) but each board I've had so far has been good, I think so far I've had 3 x B350, 3 x B450, 2 x X370, 3 x X470, 2 x B550 and 2 x X570, each have worked very well for their intended use and the only real issue I've had on any is the 1G port on my X470 Taichi U died, the 10G port worked fine though :D

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. Phido

Phido Member

I've had Asus boards die. They lived a good life, in highly used machines, and they died. An Am2 board just died completely after about 4 years use, my intel z97 has a flakey memory channel. Asus however is a premium brand, their products are generally very good, however, I don't think Asus quality is what it used to be where they had a clear lead in build quality.

I've been impressed with Gigabyte recently. They have lifted their game in quality and feel and features, IMO they are a valid competitor to Asus. 20 years ago I don't think that was the case, Asus had significantly better built products generally.
    Is Asus is Mercedes, Gigabyte is the BMW. I am heavily invested in gigabyte at the moment IMO the B550 Aurous ITX is the best value B550 ITX board, with more than 3 machines with gigabyte AM4 sockets. However, if price is no object, then I like the Asus product feel a bit better, I think a bit more stylish.
    Probably died of embarrassment. Tachi is a nice board.

For CPU I am nearly 100% 5900x, probably on a prism cooler.. or my NHD9L if the AM4 kit gets here and is any better than the Prisim cooler..

9. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

I was sold on the x570 Aorus Master but there are too many reports of random shutdown errors. Ended up getting the Meg Ace instead. I usually like the Asrock boards but the Taichi has shitty header placement and a bad VRM fan.

10. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I've always been cautious of ASRock, the few boards I've had were... Iffy, even the X470D4U is questionable, good board but restarts it can hang, something to do with the IPMI getting stuck.

Tossing up between the B550M Mortar or B550M Steel Legend, I like the look of the Steel Legend, it has heaps of USB on the back but I absolutely hate the M.2 placement. The Mortar on the other hand has less USB but more SATA and much better M.2 placement.

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I have an Asus Tuf WiFi X570 that I am pretty happy with. My only real complaint is the chipset is poorly located, leaving the chipset fan directly under the GPU on the primary x16 slot. Fortunately I don't think I've ever actually seen that fan spin, it appears to be completely superfluous.

Asus and Asrock have always been my go-to's when I buy boards. Asus ITX boards are the bomb.

In full sized boards I'm a big fan of Taichi's generally too. I sold my Taichi X470 when I wanted to move to X570, and would have gotten another Taichi, but lack of stock at the time made me choose the Asus Tuf.

I just prefer their BIOS's and I've never had a board from either of those companies cause me any grief.

I've only had one AM4 ITX, it was an MSI AB350. I would give it maybe a 5/10, it was just OK. Nothing terribly bad apart from the WiFi module shitting itself and some other problem which I can't remember. Pretty limited feature set and shitty BIOS.

I haven't had many current boards, wifey is running an Asrock H270 (mATX I think.. I'd have to look to be sure) at the moment and it's fine given her needs, facebooking and netflix basically with an i3-6100. You wouldn't expect anything fancy at that level, and it wouldn't be working hard, so I'd say all boards in that range are fine. Even the BIOS become unimportant if you are never going to tinker with it.

Which leads me to the best board I've ever owned hands down, at the time, which was an Asus Z270 ITX Strix. I've never had a better overclocker for either CPU or RAM. That board though was also one of the few which ever fucked up, it lost a RAM channel late in its life.

Mind you, I don't generally play with the big boys, the topmost tier of boards tend not to be much of a value proposition. A whole bunch of extra features which I wouldn't use, and some other 'nice to have' stuff which I would never pay the extra few hundred bucks for. I can see the value in some of the super high end boards for subzero people, with the voltage read points and stuff, but in the main upper mid boards have mostly been my thing. Taichi's for instance.... but I am pretty happy with my X570 Tuf so far, so no big deal missing out on an X570 Taichi in the end.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  12. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I think the Ryzen 9 5900X is the sweet spot for me. Second highest core count, second highest base clock speed and second highest boost clock speed. Even price is second expensive before the massive jump to the top.

The top 5950X have the fastest boost speed and highest core but lowest base speed, the lowest base speed deter me.

Which one will play youtube faster?

13. aphexer

aphexer Member

The ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII is sitting next to me waiting for a 5900x, EK 360mm AIO patiently hovering nearby (overkill, i know)...

14. OJR

OJR Member

Go away traitor. Stick to your Intel rubbish.

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. Edward05

Edward05 Member

lmao i'am on amd now well will be :)

have some stuff on order

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. netlord

netlord Member

Well that arrived quickly, got the motherboard but now waiting for Zen 3 to go on sale.

17. nope

nope Member

the fuck is rage mode? why are they so vauge? Can i dump a 5000 series cpu and keep my x470 board and use it or what ?

18. Malakai

Malakai Member

Rage mode works with any system IIRC, it's just an auto OC of some description, it's the Smart Access Memory thing that works with 500 series motherboards and 5000 series CPUs.

nope likes this.
  19. nope

nope Member

Cbf changing mobos but might get a 5800x or used 3900x [​IMG]

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So far it would seem that only a few want the 5950X, most are going got 5800X or 5900X. I might get lucky and actually be able to buy a 5950X on launch day if this lack of demand continues :D