Ryzen 7 3700X Temps / Ram stability X570 Chipset

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by naeM, May 8, 2020.

1. naeM

naeM Member

Hey Guys,

I've recently upgraded my cpu as per this bundle listed from Scorptech: https://www.scorptec.com.au/bundle/...71BOXplusPRIME-X570-P-CSMplusCMK16GX4M2B3000C

I've been doing some reading in forums and what not and can notice alot of issues regarding the CPU temp and also the CPU performing as it should.

I initially had issues enabling the ram to its native speed of 3000mhz which i paid for. Optimised ram speeds were set to 2133mhz. When enabling d.o.c.p to run it at 3000mhz sometimes the computer would just go black and would have to manually reset and put it back into optimised settings.

I've been getting CPU and Motherboards temps over around 40 degrees with just general browsing/music etc with leaving the computer on for a few hours at a time.

I guess what i'm trying to say is what are good/normal temp speeds for this CPU/Motherboard? I've updated to the lastest Bios for the motherboard for extra stability and also installed all required software and drivers.

Any help or guidance you guys can offer would be so greatly appreciated as i'm stressing out about it.

Thanks heaps.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. asho444

asho444 Member

Out of curiosity, what power supply do you have, can you test with a spare? I have seen this caused by psu before

3. OP
    OP
    naeM

naeM Member

hey mate, I’m running a antec High current gamer psu- 900w 80 plus bronze

it’s a few years old now.

4. hawkus

hawkus Member

The 3000 series defintely run hotter than the 2000 it's common if you do a Google. Anything up to 70-75c under load is ok they are rated up to 95c I believe.

I adjusted my fan curves on mb to keep it silent so it didn't kick up another level from default until about 65c. Like you say temps jump all over the place under light loads so this way makes it inaudible

naeM likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    naeM

naeM Member

Yeah definitely man! I had issues initially with it running really loud but that just turned out that i had the Cpu plugged into the wrong fan. Have you also updated your mobo bios to the latest one? Which power option are you using in windows too?

I find that even when just doing random taks within Windows you can hear the CPU running quiet and then it will peak for a second which is odd. I would normally expect it to do that if I launched a game and it was just about boot it up.

6. asho444

asho444 Member

have you also downloaded ryzen master and updated the power plan in windows?

7. OP
    OP
    naeM

naeM Member

yeah mate, I’ve downloaded both! I was running it on the ryzen balances power mode for a bit but not just got it on the recommended windows power option.

like I said it the cpu temp idles around 35-40 degrees and the mobo is around 30 degrees so i just wanna know if I have anything to worry about or not I guess. I’ve been on my pc this morning for a hour or so to reach the above temps which comes up in the bios.

just be interesting to see what other temps people running similar X570 based cpu and any help where possible.

8. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Ryzen Master is still the only really accurate way to measure temps on the 3000 series. They have multiple temp sensors on and in the cpu.

Change your fan spin up and spin doown speed in bios to prevent the fans spiking.

Dont worry about the spikiness of Ryzen temps - its not a problem its just the way the power management works. For the same reason dont worry about voltages.

Install latest chipset drivers off the AMD site - dont use those of manufacturers site they are usually way outdated.

Use the Ryzen balance power plan - it is designed for these processors and works better.

As for your ram - enable docp but check your vdimm. If its at 1.35 raise it to 1.4 see if that helps. If its still at 1.2 then thats the issue.

Check the ram is on the QVL - you would assume it is as Scorptec are bundling it - but you never know and corsair can be a bit funny as they use different modules in the same model ram sticks.

Does the Prime board have ram profiles in the bios?

335 GT and naeM like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    naeM

naeM Member

Thanks so much for that info man! Really insightful. I’ll make the necessary changes where applicable.

dccp and all those more advanced options are all new to me man, a little nervous of making changes and doing more harm then good lol

darkbastard likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    naeM

naeM Member

I just checked the QVL mate and my ram im pretty sure comes up - cmk16gx4m2b3000c15
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...d_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Radeon_Graphics_X570_0730.pdf

I was in the bios before, i'm pretty sure the voltage is set to 1.35 stock but not sure how to change it?

11. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

varies from board to board - on asus its usually in the AI tweaker tab -- just scroll down

12. Sledge

Sledge Member

My CPU idles around 40-50 so yours is fine...
    Does your RAM support XMP 2.0? If it does set that to 'on' in BIOS. It should set it to 3000Mhz then...
    Once that's done and you're sure it is stable, i'd look at getting it up to 3600Mhz...
    My 3200Mhz is sitting at 3600 happily...though the timings are a tad looser than yours

naeM likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    naeM

naeM Member

Hey mate, my X570 motherboard actually has D.O.C.P instead of XMP. I enabled it and my ram is running at 3000mhz stably. Touch wood but i havent had any crashes. I think the higher ram speeds my mobo supports is 3400mhz. Do you reckon its worth me upgrading the ram from 3000 to 3400?

I see! I had my pc on for a few hours today downloading and it was running around 35-40 degrees. Are you running the stock cooler? if so, Hi or Lo speed?

darkbastard likes this.
  14. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yes stock cooler
    All i've done fan wise is setting the fan curve in BIOS to not go up until the CPU hits 55-60 odd (can't remember exactly)
    Your mobo will support up to 4400Mhz
    Only way to see if the ram can do it is to try.
    But find out what chips your ram uses and then use Ryzen DRAM calculator to see what settings to use.
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-ryzen-dram-calculator.html

All i did for mine though was set XMP, then up the speed to 3600Mhz (the sweet spot for Ryzen)
    But going from 3200 to 3600 didn't net much improvement

15. luke o

luke o Member

I just picked up the Asus Strix B450i, the 3700x, and 32GB of 3600mhz C16 Gskill Neo. Took a little bit of dialing in today but got there in the end, that XMP (DOCP) function is tricky to find the BIOS! Finally got it happy with that at 1.36v at C16. Not overclocking CPU yet, still waiting on new case so stock cooler. Runs about 85C under Prime95 full load which seems fine. I did grab the latest BIOS too.

My steps to getting it stable (so far whole day online playing games, watching videos, running memtest, prime etc.)

1. Thaiphoon Burner (free version), read out XMP profile and full export to HTML
    2. DRAM calculator for Ryzen 1.7, load in the HTML file and
    3. Took screnshots of the main and advanced tabs and sent them to my phone
    4. Rebooted set the DOCP (XMP) RAM profile, had to tweak the voltages to suggested levels by the tool, the timings were all pretty much fine.
    5. Ryzen master I used to then set coupled mode to ON, and matched the infinity fabric to the ram speed (1800mhz doubled)
    6. So far my 'golden core' hits 4360mhz which is just shy of the 4.4ghz on the tin so I'm pretty happy.
    7. Oh and last thing I tweak was some manual fan profiles in MSI afterburner for my 5700XT

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

p.s if you have Radeon card try disable hardware acceleration in the web browser if you are having stability issues playing YouTube etc.

Copy pasted from my other reply in a different thread... Basically set your ram settings manually not with the docp.

16. T1tan

T1tan Member

I'm looking to make a foray into Ryzen based stuff, and I'm actually looking at buying this same combo that OP mentions from scorptec, maybe even tonight.

It seems I'm reading a whole lot about memory tweaking whenever I read about ryzens... isn't it really just plug and play? or do I have to go into the bios and set voltages and stuff? Or is the tweaking just the domain of overclocking / trying to get every last cycle from the chips?

17. luke o

luke o Member

Corsair LPX I wouldn't recommend personally just read too much many things about it not working properly at rated speeds.

My experience with Ryzen 3000 was great, the docp (amd xmp) just worked. But the timings were not tight enough, so the DRAM calculator was the next step to tighten them up a bit at 3600mhz c16.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  18. OP
    OP
    naeM

naeM Member

Is that so mate regarding the Corsair LPX ram? I’ve got a 16gb ddr4 kit at 3000mhz (enables through DOCP. You reckon it would be better for me to maybe sell off my ram and get a different type? I think 3400mhz is the best ram my Asus prime X570 mobo can support.

19. luke o

luke o Member

ASUS prime X570 should support 4400mhz max if you can even find such RAM at a good price. I'd say your LPX is fine unless you really want to push the boundaries, you really won't get a whole lot more performance, it's all e-peen.

That said this is OCAU. From my research 3600mhz is the sweet spot Ryzen 3000 CPU's. Any higher and the infinity fabric can't keep up so you loose your 1:1 ratio with the CPU. You no longer get as noticeable gains, going from 3200 to 3600 might get you 5% going from 3600 to 4000 (the same 400mhz jump) might get you 1.5% more FPS.

naeM and darkbastard like this.
  20. Sledge

Sledge Member

I already told him that..
    Obviously not reading info properly...