1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

REVIEW Ryzen 7 Review - Is It Time to Ryze?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by shanetsh, Jun 8, 2017.

1. shanetsh

shanetsh Member

After a decade of Intel supremacy, is it finally time for AMD to Ryze?

That's what we're here to find out. A simple AMD vs Intel showdown. We'll be pitching our Ryzen build against our X99 PCs at the office to see how it fares. While you can definitely use Ryzen for gaming, we're more interested to find out about its multi-threaded performance due to its affordable price especially when compared to Intel's premium high core count CPUs.

Here is the rundown of our Ryzen 7 build:
    1. Ryzen 7 1700x
    2. MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium
    3. MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    4. 2x G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
    5. WD Blue Sata SSD 250GB
    6. Thermaltake Smart DPS G 650W PSU
    7. Thermaltake View 31 Case
    8. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme AIO Cooler

Synthetic and Real World Benchmarks:

1. AIDA64
    2. Y-Cruncher
    3. Cinebench R15
    4. CPU Mark
    5. Real Bench
    6. 7Zip
    7. Atto
    8. Timespy DX12 Direct X 12
    9. Adobe Media Encoder, Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Nice review Shane. Good to see something other than just gaming benchmarks when compared to Intel.

3. OP
    OP
    shanetsh

shanetsh Member

Thanks mate!

Pretty baffled that people would splurge so much money on processors that won't get you that much more performance in games. But in light of DX12 tests, i think both Intel and AMD might just start selling only high core count CPUs even for their lower end stuff.

4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

This might be a strange concept to some but people use PCs for more than just games.....

What I really want to know is the definitive story on Ryzen and virtualisation (both perf and compatibility and/or any caveats):

- VMware Workstation in Win
    - Virtuabox in Win
    - KvM in linux

I can google up anecdotal snippets re: VMware (its basically borked) but definitive info is thin on the ground.

5. OP
    OP
    shanetsh

shanetsh Member

You might have misunderstood what i meant mate.
    I said what i said because alot of people are bashing Ryzen for being inferior than the new Intel Kaby Lake just because of its relatively weaker gaming performance.

As demonstrated by my video, Ryzen is better compared to the previous flagship from Intel, the X99 platform.

Unfortunately, i'm not an IT professional nor will I be utilizing computers for VMs anytime soon, so i cannot help you on that.

We at MOBHouse utilize computers mainly for film-making and the occasional CAD drawing so we will only speak from our experience. =)

6. Supersize

Supersize Member

The one thing that is pushing me to the new Skylake-X cpu's is AMD's Ram compatibility (or the lack there of).

For me I like to buy a system, mildly overclock the CPU and have it just work without messing with the ram (other than setting it's advertised speed).
    I've had that for every recent Intel build so far.

I swore by AMD back in the day, my first real Intel machine was a E8500, prior to that it was all AMD (besides the earlier "family" 286, oh and I had a Cyrix once).

7. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Nice review.

It will be interesting to see where Ryzen goes, and how Intel responds. It's good to finally have some competition back in the market.

8. OP
    OP
    shanetsh

shanetsh Member

Thanks mate!

I couldn't agree more. As a Intel user for the past decade or so, Ryzen made a lot of sense because of its much more reasonable price point. I think this will help drive enthusiast grade hardware down in price a little which is great for everyone. haha

9. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Yeah, I remember the good-ol-days of the Athlon 64s and later the X2s, wiping the floor with the Prescott Pentiums. But when Intel released the Core 2 Quads they took the performance lead and AMD never really recovered.

I'll be holding out for a little while before I buy any new hardware. Threadripper V's i9 should be interesting.

10. OP
    OP
    shanetsh

shanetsh Member

yea mate. can't wait for Threadripper

11. hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

I realise you're Malaysian/Singaporean and this is an aussie board but you're using mate way too much. You don't need to :)

12. boneburner

boneburner Member

Hehe - like the video's over at Vortez, i cant watch him anymore because every sixth word is "guy's"

13. dANiel_

dANiel_ Member

High quality chandelier

14. OP
    OP
    shanetsh

shanetsh Member

haha.. nope.. made in China... like everything else is these days..