S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - 2012 release

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by iNeLuKi, Aug 14, 2010.

1. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

They *say* those things, but when I actually play the game maybe I can trust my fellow Ukranian game makers.

It's the same area but just a different story, that makes sense now with the video I had linked before. They need to take the good bits from all 3 STALKERs so far made and just make a completely new story.

Need more underground passages, make weather more adverse. I think most people can say AI needs to most tweaking. Bandits need to do more hit-n-run types where they just take a guy or two out and run off. Freedom are more tactical and military-like etc. Though they'll rename all that stuff, the interview did say theyre keeping some of the old characters so maybe Sid will make another appearance :p

2. Hive

Hive Member

While things do change, this is expected.

One thing we've come to know is that GSC provide one the most unique games ever made, and that's a good thing.

3. lithos

lithos Member

Sounds good, though a lot of devs seem to think that some of the changes consoles require are a good thing, like having only one crouch button, or removing ROF selection, or combining PDA and inventory keys - or worse, having parasite keys. The interface is what I'm really concerned about, and while it's heartening to see the answer from the devs about, they've now got the consoles breathing down their neck.

Streamlining is great for swimmers and cars, but in gaming it's not so great.

"Five-twelve meg of RAM is all you'll ever need..."

I think you mean "Duty are more tactical and military-like." Playing through CS again, and on their base in the Dark Valley their propaganda mentions there's no "morning drills." Freedom are the anarchists and stoners. But I get your drift.

I thought STALKER's AI was really very good, aside from the occasional see-you-from-a-mile-away moments. The animal AI was was great, too. It was great to see true pack animal AI - a dozen blind dogs will lay into you, but take out a few and watch the rest run. Human AI made excellent use of cover and knew how to use their numbers to keep you distracted while others flanked, and knew to move or take cover when reloading.

We will see more underground, linear areas - it's more suitable to the Xbox.

We'll probably see full voice acting, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Eats into the budget. Might even see some American STALKERs, to better appeal to mainstream market, and a more mainstream plot like COP's - I always thought it had the weaker narrative.

4. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

I own a PS3 and Xbox360. I am ALL FOR CONSOLES! But they should hire PC-expert and Console-expert devs to make the games the best they can. Remember EA canned Madden on the PC because of various issues.

I like the two-crouch buttons and you could impliment it on consoles. A normal crouch/stealth and a super-low crouch for best shots/sniping etc. GSC tend to make good games, that are 1 card short of the deck, as long they let the PC community mod the balls off the PC game, consoles won't ever see the difference really.

Doesn't Win7 require 512 just to boot? :lol:

NOOO! I was wrong, yeah Freedom are the idiots (loaded SoC to see) but typically the group you join, they should have their own way etc..

STALKERs AI as I said before, is 1 card short. I've mentioned one part above (group specific AI) but the first game SoC was so buggy it was unplayable. CS was better for the most part but there were still area's that just made the game frustrating as heck, CoP improved the monsters a lot. They had day/night creatures, bloodsuckers did hit-n-run mostly but they screwed over the 2 most terrifying creatures and made them wimpy, Controllers and Dwarfs were feared in SoC and in CoP it was easy to pick them off.

I admit, linear is tedious, but linear with nothing hold you hand (not like HALO then) is even better. Half the fun in the zone is the exploring, the weird noises behind you or around the corner. There are some moments in X18 where I say to myself, "screw it, if I die, I saved before going in".

No women STALKERs? They're all Russian/Ukranian (half-ass voices too) too. I don't know about Americans, but I guess adding a chick or a black dude would break up the 6'0" white guy clique going on. :lol:

5. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

QFT.......

6. mrpiccolod

mrpiccolod Member

Well there are consoles games that do have true difficulty sliders. Halo: Reach is a good example, the enemy AI got better with difficulty with better cover use, accuracy and tactics (they actually try to flank you).

I know it's much harder to implement this than simply increasing HP and Damage but I do wish they would try for these multi-platform titles. Really leaving PC gamers out to dry with the current crop of games.

7. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

This may sound strange but I really didn't think the original stalker was anything special. I read up on it before it came out and it was (from what I remember) talked up to be some really awesome game... But after playing for a few hours it was a bit 'meh'

8. manflesh

manflesh Member

not sure if this is what they mean but I'd like to see items a lot more scarce, i found that it was too easy to find all kinds of supplies/food/ammo..and too easy to make a tone of cash, i don't know maybe I'm too much of a horder:D, either way Stalker 2 bring it on, awesome series even with it's quirky faults.

9. Philll

Philll Member

In any game they call "hardcore" it never is so I'm skeptical of anything related to survival. Metro's "Ranger hardcore" was a walk in the park (enemies died quicker, you could just knife 3/4 of them after sneaking) and so was Vegas (120 bottles of purified water at one point, not counting the ones my companion had). It's always as easy as taking a piss, I wish for once they would just step it up. It's not about being an elitist, anybody can do it if they take their time, it's about enforcing a difficulty to the definition you're giving it. The easier modes are always there anyway.

10. Hive

Hive Member

Anyone got any news on this?

11. DarknRahl

DarknRahl Member

Loved Stalker and Call of Pripyat, Clearsky was a rehash with a game breaking bug for me. However with Call of Pripyat I felt they nailed it. I'd love another Stalker but I feel this whole multi-platform approach will result in a pretty runk game. I really hope otherwise as it's one of my favourite games ever but still...

edit: I agree with what some have said about increasing survival aspects of the game. System Shock 2 still has the best survival aspects for me in any game I've played. The first time I played that game through on normal I was scrimping and scraping for bullets and desperately getting out my wrench to break droids when running out of ammo. The second time I played it of course I counted every bullet and went around with bludgeoning perks boncing monkeys and worm brained crewman on the heads, a habit I carried into Bioshock, zap with leccy/unleash mind bees then bonce on the head with wrench, good times.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  12. Domokun

Domokun Member

Can't believe you guys bumped this thread with no news or updates. :mad:

13. demowhc

demowhc Member

Just reinstalled the Stalker series not long ago with the COMPLETE mod for each SoC, CS and CoP. Wow do these games look brilliant, they seriously look better than Crysis in many places and technicaly they are in many ways, but art design lets its technical quality down a lot of the time.

14. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

Crysis and Stalker games shouldn't even be in the same sentence. There is no comparison apart from:

Crysis = Steaming pile of cow dung designed by some imaginatively impaired orangutan.
    Stalker = Atmospheric bliss with compelling gameplay throughout

15. damo13579

damo13579 Member

well said :thumbup:

any news on where stalker 2 is going to be set yet?
    last rumor i heard was that it was going to be related to the Tunguska Event instead of Chernobyl

16. demowhc

demowhc Member

I totally agree, was talking about the graphics more than anything else and how good the Stalker series can look.

Only thing that annoys me though is in CoP the Transparency AA command doesnt work in DX11, neither do the sun shafts, so instead I prefer to play in DX10.1 like Stalker CS and have a mod so there are sun shafts during all daylight hours.

17. DarknRahl

DarknRahl Member

Just adding another agree here. Atmospheric bliss indeed which is why I loved it so much. Crysis was as bland and pedestrian as they come, so much so I lost interest half way through playing. Graphics did look real nice though.

18. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

They have been very quiet about Stalker 2. No more news is available than what is already in this thread.

Back to waiting...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  19. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

20. lithos

lithos Member

Paruzhy obrel!

And I'd like to add, STALKER's got the best ballistics system I've ever seen. Even better if you tweak it.