1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

SA: Coopers voted number one in nation for taste

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Diode

Diode Member

It's just a natural part of the SA inferiority complex. Always trying to prove they are best at something. Though Coopers make some pretty good beer, I like the Sparkling, Pale and Vintage Ale.
    I'm SA born and raised so nothing against fellow South Aussies. When it comes to beer SA wins hands down over Victoria with what's available on tap. I'm over what they serve here; Carlton Draught, complete rubbish.

2. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Meh, if you know where to go you can find Chimay on tap at a place down here!

3. BeefCaek

BeefCaek Member

I grew up (15 years) in Perth and moved to Adelaide (been here 5 years) and I cant believe how good people think Coopers is - it's fucking horrible, EVERY form of it (oh except dark ale - that's not too bad in winter).

But then, I could list a few things that Adelaide people like to hold on to for no apparent reason -

Balfours - feral
    Villis - feral
    Pie Floaters - feral
    The Crows winning back-to-back premierships (a feat in itself but it happened A FUCKING DECADE AGO)
    The Bay - wog city
    The Malls Balls - they're just fucking balls.

But, the beer is cheap here, and the people are really friendly - excluding anyone from Elizabeth. But Coopers is definitely feral.

4. Revenge

Revenge Member

You shut your whore mouth..

Shut it now !!

*SLAP

5. chip

chip Member

Having lived in Perth for the last year or so, I can understand what a shock it must have been for you to encounter a meat pie with actual flavour and containing an identifiable meat.

6. hoonda75

hoonda75 Member

You were on a roll untill you got to Coopers!
    Blasphemer! out! get the fuck out! go west young man and drink your emo I mean Emu piss.

7. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

lol, are you serious? Have you ever been to Sydney or Melbourne? There's practically no ethnics in Adelaide at all...
    (also I only find people friendly in the Adelaide Hills, rarely in the suburbs...)

8. Revenge

Revenge Member

The one good thing about Emu Bitter... at least they are honest enough to tell you which animal they squeezed it out of.

9. Bern

Bern I knew this would happen one day...

Coopers Vintage Ale > everything else.

10. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

i imagine it's an acquired taste for anyone outside of SA. here we drink our yeast rather than make it into vegemite (i'm not sure why but we're damn proud of it :p).

i honestly don't see the point in trying to rank the rest of the beers though, you've tasted one mega-swill lager, you've tasted them all.

11. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Beer snob/homebrewer/commercial dabbler reporting in. Ignore post if this bothers you.

These sorts of reviews/awards are not about quality, they're about volumes sold and brand loyalty. Corona taking a prize for packaging... fuck me drunk. That beer was named by the late great beer god Michael Jackson (no not the pedo with one glove), when pressed, as the worst commercial beer in the world. Seriously, it is cheap corn-based beer made to hydrate Mexican agricultural workers as fresh drinking water is not safe. It costs less to make than Hammer and Tongs and tastes of slightly vegetal water spiked with cat's urine but we haul it around the world and give it a premium price tag. Clear glass is BAD FOR BEER, period. UV light striking hop compounds causes the cat's piss taste/aroma in Corona that anyone will notice once you point it out. The traditional lemon wedge in the bottle is there partially to hide this fault.

Ahem. That is all.

12. Revenge

Revenge Member

...thank fuck for the cat's urine.

I reckon without that, Corona woudl taste even fucking worse :p

13. PhantomAU

PhantomAU Member

I'm an SA man and a cooper fan, but I have to admit I'm really partial to the Following:

James Squire Amber/Golden Ales.
    Oak Bank Ale (SA)
    Cats Piss, when served during summer in a corona bottle with a slice of lemon.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  14. Sandez

Sandez Member

I recently had one of the Malt Shovel Mad Brewer's Scribbly Gum beers, now that was a treat!

My local has a few bottles of them as well kept under the counter for me in time for my weekly visits. :p

15. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Your impression I take it is good? I find the Mad Brewer's releases hit and miss. Haven't tried this one yet.

Cat's piss, corn and cabbage. Get a lemon in that shit, pronto! Un limón grande!!

16. Sandez

Sandez Member

It and the stout go down very nicely. I'm atrocious at describing the taste of a beer so I won't bother. I haven't had any of the Mad Brewer's before so it may simply be a case of the proverbial grass being greener, but I would recommend you give it a try.

17. Revenge

Revenge Member

See... I am awesome at describing the taste of a beer.

1. Is bloody great.. gimme another.
    2. Arrghh.. taste like it was squeezed out of a frog and filtered through a draught horse.. nah, thanks.. gotta get going.

18. Silent Remorse

Silent Remorse GAMING OVERLORD

They don't have much else to be proud about ;p

19. Diode

Diode Member

Balfours... yeah it's crap, hence why they are building apartments on the old factory.
    Villis... The best pastries you can buy in a supermarket. Fresh never frozen.
    Pie Floaters... I like peas and meat pies. Never had one from that cart though.
    The Crows... Sack Neil Craig.
    The Bay... You some kind of racist? Try living in Syd/Mel.
    The Malls Balls... Superceided by Chicago's giant jelly bean! http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/19/8e/82/cloud-gate-grant-pk-chicago.jpg
    Coopers... for a mass produced beer it's pretty good!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  20. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Except bodies in barrells.