(SA-Goolwa's) Steam Exchange Brewery- put to the taste test!

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by anc001, Jun 7, 2007.

1. anc001

anc001 Member

http://www.steamexchange.com.au/html/our_beers.html
    I just poped open a Steam Exchange Southerly Bluster after working up a thirst cleaning up after racking and doing some housework, so here are my impressions.
    [​IMG]

It pours a fine, but not thick head and has a red-brown colour.
    Malty and chocholatie on the nose with subtle presence of some floral hops, can't place it though (which normally means its one of those american varieties I never use).
    The flavour is predominantly malty with sweet hints, like toffee. There's the initial satisfaction of a wholesome hit of bitterness at first sip but the richer flavours wash over it and it ends with the sweeter tones.
    Its almost like a flavour progression, quick hit of bitterness, long sustained maltiness then a parting hint of sweetness.
    The description as a winter warmer made me think of stouts and such, but there are no burnt tones in the flavour at all as far as I can detect.
    The more I taste it the more I am convinced they are right about the Chocolate Pudding, but its only in the bouquet for me.
    If you are looking for a winter beer, rich and rewarding, but don't like smoky beers or really stong ones, keep an eye out for this brew.
    I honestly can't think of a beer I've had recently that is like it and that's got to be a good thing to be able to say for a new microbrewery.
    :leet:
    I suggest the tradition of going for coffee and cake after a meal, or in leu of one late at night could be very happily replaced for me by a Southerly Bluster and a piece of cake, particularly on a rainy night by an open fire!

In the time it took me to write this I've drunk all but the last sip and this is my only one...
    :(

So if you like darker complex beers give this a go, or if you are a avid drinker of the sweeter beers around, like Squire's Amber Ale, Little Creatures Pale Ale and alike then give this one a go over the winter months.

I wish Goolwa wan't 300km away, but actually I'm planning a holiday there later this winter, so this beer will be perfect for such an occasion! :thumbup:

cheers.
    anc

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  2. Wardhog

Wardhog Member

Nice writeup, anc001. This beer sounds like it's right up my alley.

3. mrees

mrees Member

hmm interesting write up. ive heard some mixed results about wether they liked the beer there or not. I am going down to goolwa in a few weeks time so am keen to try it out for myself

4. OP
    OP
    anc001

anc001 Member

I posted a review of their IPA on friday, but it seems to have not gone through, so I'll restate what I can recall.
    [​IMG]

Fine creamy head, clear amber-red colour
    sweet malty aroma with a hint of cut grass/flowers etc
    I had a hard time detecting the bitterness, as it seemed to come in late, and be competing with rich maltyness. A long enjoyable hop flavour dominated the flavour in a very nice way.

This beer is for anyone who loves IPA, hops or stronger tasting beer.

I'd say its maltier than the only other IPA I've drink lots of lately, Gage Roads, and slightly less bitter.
    Thoroughly enjoyable beer to savour and linger over, not to down 4 of after a day out in the hot sun.

5. OP
    OP
    anc001

anc001 Member

[​IMG]

on to the Steam Ale now:

again the body is clear and sediment free. The head pours fine and light to moderate thickness. Body is a lovely red hue.
    I really couldn't detect a significant aroma at all, just a gentle maltyness. (after warming it up I can now sweel hops in the bouquet).

The bitterness seems low and unobtrusive, a brief and pleasant maltiness quickly gives way to another savoury flavour (almost unsavoury), this is where I detect the complexity of a Steam 'Ale' similar to others I've had, this then gives way to a delighful burst of sweet hop flavour, which seems all the more delicious because of the contrast to the "stressed yeast" flavours that can be detected in high gravity beers and much homebrew (aka arse flavour). The prolonged hop flavour, similar totheir IPA, again gives way to give a slight sour aftertaste (the same flavour as mid profile).
    The end effect makes me think of it as a complex savoury brew with a wonderful burst of hop flavour.
    At first sip I thought this would be at home behind any megaswill bar(i.e. easy and unobjectionable to drink), but the more I taste it the more I uncover the sour steam ale flavours and think that this beers serves to tease your palate with a prolonged complex savoury flavour and an all too brief taste of hops, but maybe that's me, I'm a hophead when it comes to beer.
    It definately finishes on a sour note, that makes the tongue crave another sip.
    FTR the Mrs liked this one, as she is a fan of lots of sour flavours and doesn't like bitterness. She couldn't detect the burst of hop sweetness and described it as 'nice and slightly sour'

This is a very interesting beer, a real adventure in flavours, and very gutsy for a micro to do IMHO. Every beer fan should try a brew in this style, as its really quite interesting. Its not as good as a Steam Ale I've had at Grumpy's (Gold Rush Steam Ale or something it was called) but think this is the only one I've had commercially available in a bottle. (anyone know of any others?).
    This is a beer for the beer lovers, I'd suggest it could be drunk year round (I love being drunk year round) as its quite at home on a wintery afternoon here atm. Try it if you want the strong flavour of an ale without the heavy body, or if you don't mind a beer with some of the stronger flavours of a high gravity brew, like some trapist beers or the sour notes of a lambic (not that this is anything like a lambic really).
    To summarise, just try it for the adventure, you might be a huge fan.

stout next...

6. OP
    OP
    anc001

anc001 Member

I had the stout the other day, didn't remember to jot down my notes here, the overall impression though was it being a nice stout faithful to the style.
    :thumbup: