Safe Deposit Box for Backup

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by karun, May 3, 2019.

1. karun

karun Member

Does anyone use a Safe Deposit Box for backups? Im thinking of starting using one as a backup solution, it appears far cheaper to store hard drives in it, than pay amazon or so for cloud storage.

2. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

first place I ever worked for did that at the local bank branch, tape swap every day
    for the other offices they used something called 'DX mail' and would send the previous nights tape to head office and the other tape got sent back
    I think 'DX mail' is some kinda of country based inter office thing... not sure if it still exists though

3. OP
    OP
    karun

karun Member

From the price and Speed difference it looks like the better option than amazon glacier. Just to store 16tb with amazon glacier is 728 US dollars a year and for the data transfer to restore it once it’s 1440 US dollars. So seems like a safe deposit box is more economical and sensible. This doesn’t even take in to account the upload time.

4. caspian

caspian Member

I (incrementally) back up a couple of TB to Amazon now at home, but the numbers are you are talking are not viable for other than physical media. Glacier is also more of a DR facility, getting the data back is a PITA.

DX mail is a 3rd party international mail and logistics company. I used them recently overseas to send some stuff home that was not worth the hassle of trying to get back onto the boat. they seemed pretty good to me, and quite reasonably priced.

https://www.dxmail.co.nz/about_us_partners.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DX_Group

firey4059 likes this.
  5. firey4059

firey4059 Member

As caspian states above, DX is very much still alive. In my workplace, we use the DX mail system to transfer mail both internally and externally. Now owned by Toll (in Australia at least), the DX mail system is beaut. They move envelopes and parcels of all shapes and sizes relatively quickly, efficiently and without fuss. Think of them as a private Australia Post.
    Cam.

zeggie likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    karun

karun Member

Glacier doesn’t seem worth the price in comparison to buying hard drives and just for the data transfer for a restore it’s 9 Cents for one gigabyte so about 90 US dollars for 1tb data transfer.

7. caspian

caspian Member

depends on your needs. a direct comparison should also factor in the costs of offsite storage, transport to that location, staff time to mount and dismount drives etc.

8. xplod140

xplod140 Member

What data are you actually trying to save? I don't think I'd crack 1tb for photos and vids that are actually important and that sort of stuff doesn't need replicating often.

9. Gunna

Gunna Member

I'm looking at using AWS S3 IA for my long term backups, cost to business is nothing as if I need to resort to my long term back up over my 4 hourly and weekly then we are up the shit already

10. OP
    OP
    karun

karun Member

For businesses probably the cost is ok but for home use it’s not really worth it for a large amount of data especially when you have to pay 1500 US dollars for the data transfer to restore it.

11. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

Will be worth an enquiry at your local records storage sites. Quite a few have moved from purely paper to digital storage as well.

12. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

I've just bought another Synology NAS and put it at my parents. Setup replication (both on 100/40 NBN). All done. :)

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Physical backups to offsite storage are absolutely a valid choice. If the data is valuable, I tend to recommend people do both cloud backup (for convenience) and physical offsite backup for safety. Consider places like secure self-storage locations that will often have small scale options (just a small storage locker the size of a half-height cupboard, rather than renting a whole internal shed).

If time isn't valuable to you, or the physical backup location is convenient, physical offsite backup is typically cheaper because you don't have infrastructure to pay for. A hard disk on a shelf or in a box doesn't consume electricity or need technicians keeping networks running 24x7. The downside is if you need the data in a hurry, someone's jumping in a car and taking a drive, rather than just punching a few commands into a computer to start retrieval. Like everything, pros and cons.

Alternatively if you do want cloud backup, SHOP AROUND. Amazon are one of the most expensive for long term, large scale cloud backup. Yes, they are probably the most well known, but there are plenty of cheaper options.

https://wasabi.com/pricing/
    https://www.rsync.net/pricing.html
    https://www.rsync.net/products/attic.html
    https://www.backblaze.com/backup-pricing.html

Dozens of others. They are ones my industry uses frequently (an industry that talks in petabytes, not terabytes).

This isn't a bad option either if you trust a third party (and can competently encrypt things), and can throttle your backups to not destroy their connection speeds. A mutual agreement where you host each other's backups works pretty well.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    firey4059 likes this.
  14. Gunna

Gunna Member

Thanks for the links, i'm checking Wasabi out. The pricing looks good although options are limited for storage locations and have no AUS based data centres.

Do you happen to know any other than AWS that stores in AUS?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  15. cvidler

cvidler Member

Do you actually have sovereignty requirements?*

If not go overseas, everything is more expensive here - substantially so.

The extra latency means nothing for bulk transfers. and even if you opt for a physical delivery, couriers can do overnight from anywhere in the (1st) world.

16. Gunna

Gunna Member

It is a grey area though, especially when backing up data related to HR and PII. Storing it offshore means the business here has to ensure to company overseas is complying to local law, the AUS business is liable still.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

If you are properly encrypting the data and managing the keys, you can keep the backups anywhere.

No point being raped for local services unless you have to (and unless you're federal gov you don't have to).