Safe to go over 10amps on powerboard?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Vladdo, Oct 5, 2013.

1. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Cable ties. They come in nylon which can only be cut off or the Velco kind which are reusable. If a cable is too long either coil it or lay it back along itself and put a cable tie at each end.

Oh, before anyone says it. You really shouldn't coil mains cables up if you're running them close to their rated capacity.

Given the number of cables you've got you could also consider PVC cable duct, the kind with slots on the side for cable entry would suit. There's also cable tray, it's available in various widths. I've used left over cable tray to make makes some shelves, I should take a photo of it.

2. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Yeap.. The only way I can see how to manage these cables is if I coil them.. I've spent the day removing every cable and then been trying to organise them in a such a way that they're at least semi organised and not the rats nest that it was before..

That said, any of the mains cables, I've left flat and not going to coil them..

Ducting is kinda useless as 75% of all the cables only need to go about 30 cms so I have long lengths of cable that get tied up everywhere.. it's actually been a very long winded process..

Hopefully after doing this, I won't have to touch the cables for another 3+ years..

3. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

With the advice you've been given, you'll be fine. The main thing is that your original question is certainly answered :)

Other than the rats nest, you've got a pretty good setup - especially with how your house has been wired up :thumbup:

4. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Even old gear has overload protection.

The only 'powerboards' that I've seen without overloads are ones people have made up themselves.

5. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Go to the local electrical wholesaler and get some finger duct. 50mm x 50mm or so should do it. It comes in various sizes to suit your needs.

Problem sorted.

6. Skaface

Skaface Member

id say youd be fine to coil the power wires. An IEC lead powering a computer screen is no where near its 10 amp capacity, so it wont warm up at all. You only really need to be careful about coiling long extension leads where you can get many windings in a small area. It forms an inductor which is resistive to AC power, so it heats up. (At least thats my understanding of what happens anyway)

7. Fishface

Fishface Member

There are not enough turns in the average coil of cable to give it much inductance. On top of this the current flows in one direction through the coil in the active wire and the opposing direction in the neutral, cancelling out the inductance.
    Cable heating is solely due the the resistance of the cable. coiling the cable simply concentrates the heat and limits the convection cooling of the wire.