1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

safest way to transport monitor in car

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by sjaeger172004, Nov 14, 2021.

1. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Hi

I am wondering what is the safest way to transport a monitor in the boot without a box

Many thanks

2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Wrap it in some cloths?

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

all led monitor /TV's need to transported upright, so face toward back of seat (assume backseat) and use seat belt /s to strap into position.

Pugs, shane41, JSmithDTV and 2 others like this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I always carry monitors in the back seat, softer right on the seat rather than hard bumping in the boot. And also as above just wrap in blankets, upright and I'll use a box sitting between it and front seat so it doesn't fall forward.

5. power

power Member

which monitor? what vehicle?

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  6. Elmf

Elmf Member

This is really not a complex thing needing a thread.

Backseat. Cloth/bag/anything soft over seatbelt input so it doesn't hit the plastic of monitor. Place monitor with screen facing the sky. Make sure nothing heavy and bouncy is near screen. Don't drive like a fuckwit. There's no trick.

My amazing guide will WORK IN ALL VEHICLES much wow big yay

Idafe007 and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  7. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Crt? Screen face down on seat/boot.
    Plasma? Upright on back seat screen against back.
    LCD, LED, OLED? any position it physically fits without the panel touching anything.

Good monitor or good vehicle? Wrap it in nice blankets.
    Ok monitor or ok vehicle? Some towels or rags.
    Crap monitor or crap vehicle? Just chuck it in.

Just be careful with braking, turning and speed bumps/pot holes because things in the boot will bounce and slide more than anywhere else in the vehicle.

l_ QuadX_l, nCrypt and Elmf like this.
  8. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

These.

Treat it like you would a TV. It's not complex.

9. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

if you only have a very small car but has roof racks I normally get some 4 x 2 radiata pine timber as it is soft and won't damage the bezel of your screen.
    Next I get some ratchet straps and put the timber and the screen on the roof racks, note always have the screen facing down in case a seagull shits on your screen and then ratchet it down as hard as you can as you don't wont it falling off and get damaged.
    If it looks like a rainy day I would recommend wraping the monitor in glad wrap to make sure you don't get water damage.
    Hope this helps you.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  10. intransigent

intransigent Member

I don't recommend the roof rack idea (it's easy to overtighten a wratchet strap, or have it too loose and not properly holding the item; and ropes and oc-straps is just asking for trouble) if it is not boxed and even then i would suggest a vehicle with a tray to contain it.
    If you want to play it safe on the back seat face towards the cushion; strap it in then recline the passenger side seat that is in front of it back so even if it works it's way loose it cannot actually topple towards the front of the vehicle which would no doubt end with it diagonally impacting around the center console.
    If the strap is not secure enough a firm pillow can give the necessary squish room to increase the grab of the belt.

I don't see why you are against using a box though as a large enough box in the boot with a pillow either side is both efficient and safer of course depending on the size of the monitor; but if you're moving a 49" ultrawide curved behemoth wtf are you doing? oh and if you are then the box is also still your safest bet though getting it in and out is going to be no less of a pain than a curved 49" monitor being moved ever is.

11. Martyn

Martyn Member

The easiest thing would be to pick the monitor up with a caged trailer, no need to restrain the monitor unless you're going to be rallying on the way home.....

Just kidding, as others have said, put it on the backseat, stood upright, put some blankets over it, restrain with seatbelts, or if not possible, some cardboard boxes between the monitor and the front seats to ensure it doesn't move.

12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

• Wrap monitor in bubble wrap and tape up the bubble wrap.
    • Wrap that in a blanket.
    • Take it into the back seats, and fit it between the back seat, facing upwards, using cardboard, blankets or pillows so it can't move much. Exactly where will depend on the size of the monitor. Avoid any that have things like zippers exposed because they could crack the screen.
    • Drive carefully and smoothly. If it's going to get damaged in transit it's going to be because you decelerated too hard from too high a speed, it shifted and struck a part of the car that is made out of metal or hard plastic.

13. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Broken computer monitors is a myth. Just chuck it in your car, this is how they get delivered anyway..

:tongue:

14. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

I was joking about the roof racks

15. sebthepleb

sebthepleb Member

if the space there is big enough, or the monitor small enough, just put it in between your legs (or on the seat next to you/footspace under the seat next to you)

Elmf likes this.
  16. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Unless you're a passenger this is a very bad idea.

17. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I suppose it depends on the size of the monitor as sure a small one is no issue here... but a large LCD monitor/TV may suffer from delamination if flexed or stressed while horizonal during vehicle transport.

JSmith

18. shane41

shane41 Member

I hope he does not have a job now :thumbup: Wanker
    Really get sick of bad attitude no respect of customers stuff. That's how I see it these videos

l_ QuadX_l and MR CHILLED like this.
  19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The indiscriminate hurling of it was quite bad and irresponsible. I do wonder however how they are supposed to deliver goods to places like this where clearly they cannot access. He could have maybe put it over the top and lowered it carefully catching it with his hands through the bars, but tricky without dropping it. Perhaps they just need to be carded.

20. shane41

shane41 Member

Ol mate having a shitty.
    In my job you know already I will dodge " in house talk" and I cannot comment on that company = bad form.

Delivery driver. Did he look for a buzzer at gate? Alert recipient parcel arrived