Salt and Pepper Grinders?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by mmBax, Feb 8, 2021.

1. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

2. randomman

randomman Member

Yeah I've got the salt and pepper 5inch ones. They're fantastic though I'd recommend going bigger for pepper (or both) as I'm refilling it fortnightly it seems (I like my pepper).

3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Using peppercorns in a ceramic burr grinder will (at some point) ruin them because peppercorns are significantly harder than roasted coffee beans. I couldn't say how long it might take, but you'll be damaging the mechanism and the more you do it the more likely the damage will become significant.

Ceramic grinders get used in salt & coffee grinders because they don't rust and are longer lasting when used with soft salt/coffee beans, but peppercorns are too hard.

If you want to do a lot of peppercorns, the best choice is something like an electric stainless steel blade grinder. It's an irony since coffee snobs would never use one due to the grinds being inconsistent (along with some broscience about heat transfer), but they're cheap compared to the high end ceramic burr grinders and the downsides when used for coffee work in their favour when talking about peppercorns and other hard/dried spices.

Something like the Krups F203 would be perfect if it came in an Australian outlet compatible version. In Australia these two would be the same as the F203 (albeit not as cheap).
    https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/sunbeam-coffee-and-spice-grinder-em0405
    https://www.target.com.au/p/breville-coffee-spice-grinder-bcg2-bss/62545990

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    BlueRaven likes this.
  4. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Or, you know, just use a mortar and pestle

5. Radley

Radley Member

Peugot grinders are very nice and have good adjustability

6. OP
    OP
    mmBax

mmBax Member

Instantly in my case. I thought I'd be smart and see if I could connect the drill up to my old bean grinder, getting ready to make a large quantity of salt and pepper rub for smoking meat. Instantly, absolutely straight away the mechanism let go. I wasn't going ham fisted on the speed on the drill either, it was just a slow roll and crack, off it went.

https://www.saltandpepper.com.au/sandp-gapstan-grinder-natural-22cm

These are the ones I was looking at getting, we've got a LOT of wood in our house so I was going for a modern black looking feel for pepper and a modern looking wood finish for salt. But when I read a review saying that the top section isn't held on, it literally just falls off if you pick it up by the top. Then I guess I've crossed them off the list. I might just go a more traditional shaped one, but at the moment not having salt is still annoying me, I've only got the old SAXA table salt bottle and it's not really the same.

Mortar and Pestle doesn't cut the mustard for grind size and time.

macktheknife likes this.
  7. connico

connico Member

If you can find it... Hario make spice / pepper / sale grinders.... imo wont find any thing better...

Edit: Also got a microplane spice / chilli mill on the way, reckon i can use that for pepper as well lol

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

9. connico

connico Member

Yeah i got mine from japan when I was there a couple of years ago, its been magic and i use it daily. The grind on salt and peper is very consistent. I didnt think the pepper would last as the burrs are ceramic but it hasnt been an issue so far.

Amazon.co.jp occassionally have some listed

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  10. Phido

Phido Member

BTW this is what I am calling my middle aged gay male dating app..

11. Hater

Hater Member

theres already one called grinder though

those japan ones look like refillable versions of the ones at coles :S

12. NSanity

NSanity Member

I backed the Mannkitcher Pepper Cannon.

Texas BBQ w/ fresh pepper here i come!

13. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Bit late to the s&p party, look for a grinder with a “crush grind” mechanism.

14. DrJK

DrJK Member

Why fuck around with all those other pussy grinders? Get the best. Forget the rest.

BlueRaven likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    mmBax

mmBax Member

I do like the look of it, and the function looks decent as well. But 200 bucks australian for a pepper grinder. Jesus.

BlueRaven likes this.
  16. NSanity

NSanity Member

yes yes.

17. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I somehow ended up watching that pepper cannon video a few days ago - totally randomly. Before that I didn't even know that good and bad grinders were even a thing. I feel like I've opened a door or something .....

I just buy those Saxa disposable/preloaded ones from the supermarket.

BlueRaven likes this.
  18. DrJK

DrJK Member

Sadly, that's about all I can afford too. But man pepper grinders piss me off. It really is a matter of turning them a dozen bloody times. As much as I'd love a pepper cannon, I just can't afford $149 USD plus delivery to Aus despite how glorious it is.

19. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

brb, looking for some kickstarter grinder flamebait.
    Something IoT with RGB and BT-aptX and a camera that lets people watch you eat because nobody changes the default password.

On the reals, I use disposable grinders, occasionally curse them out mildly, then refill them when they are empty. I'm not holding any dinner parties any time soon.

By way of meaningful advice, my aunt and uncle bought the Peugeot pair back when they were first released, they loved a good dinner party.
    Everybody fainted at the price and snickered at them behind closed doors (apparently round-the-world cruises, caravans and $2000 bicycles are much less indulgent ways of spending one's hard-earned) but the people who actually bought and used them absolutely loved them.
    As far as I know, they still do.

Does it help you out by suggesting pick-up lines that feature this kind of terrible Dad humour? :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  20. DrJK

DrJK Member

Not sure what dinner parties have to do with anything. If I had the money spare, I'd buy a pepper cannon in a heartbeat. I grind pepper every day to the tune of about fifteen rotations. With a pepper cannon, it'd be one, maybe two. Multiply that by 365 and tell me it ain't worth $200 AUD.

NSanity and BlueRaven like this.