Salt & Pepper Squid!

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by PooJou, Jun 20, 2009.

1. PooJou

PooJou Member

Easy to make:
    You need:
    40g Plain flour
    1tsp Five Spice Powder
    1tsp White Pepper
    1tsp salt
    500ml cooking oil

Clean squid, cut into manageable chunks, scour with knife.
    Put oil on - you need it to get to ~200c - or do what I do, throw a piece of bread in and if it cooks in like 5 seconds, it's hot enough.

Take squiddy bits, dunk into flour mixture, dust off, dunk in hot oil, remove when it curls (it's literally like 10 seconds)

Put on paper towel to soak up excess oil - prepare salad, serve with lemon and tartare sauce (or Aioli if you want to be super fancy)

[​IMG]

2. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

looks good! will have to give it a bash ASAP.

3. underskore

underskore Member

info on the cost of squid please

4. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Great recipe! I am surprised how nicely coated your squid is, given that you haven't used a batter and you did not dip your squid in an egg wash first. But then, when I make this, I usually pan fry it.

underskore squid is bloody cheap. Can't tell you how cheap though :)

5. pugsley

pugsley Member

Yeah it really depends on where you are and what is being caught.

Poojou that looks great! Im gonna give this a try next time im making s&p squid. Its much simpler than my batter staple. :):thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    PooJou

PooJou Member

Yes I'm afraid I cannot tell you how expensive this particular batch of squid was because it magically appeared in my fridge (someone else must have bought it LOL)

I think the key to salt + pepper squid is to NOT use an egg wash, you just have to let the squid's natural 'squiddyness' (read: wetness) stick to the coating mix. Again we're not really trying to create tempura squid (And arguably I have used too much flour on that particular batch)

Egg wash would overwhelm it I think? It's open to experimentation :)

7. yanman

yanman Member

omnomnom!!! aweome, will try next time i go squid fishing. last time they were literally flying into the boat in a stream =D

8. Joseph

Joseph Member

Indeed, after deep frying it, try pan frying it with some garlic and chilli for about 30 seconds, adds the extra bit of flavour. Long enough to let the chilli and garlic cook and infuse the squid, but not so long that the batter turns soggy :thumbup:

9. wahoo84

wahoo84 Member

Another thing you can do is this: (not trying to steal the thread etc but this is what I learned from the chinese restaurant kitchen!)

Just prepare the flower/batter and fry the squid for a little while, then put aside to soak/drain up excess oil.

Prepare a new pan/wok with a little bit of oil, add in garlic + chopped fresh chillies. Throw in the squid and sprinkle salt and pepper and give it a bit of a stir fry for around 5 - 10 seconds.

This is just another variant

Edit: Woops, didn't read the post above :)

10. Joseph

Joseph Member

Haha yep, this is the standard technique in Chinese restaurants.

11. tchi6

tchi6 Member

12. s4Rg3

s4Rg3 Member

if the squid isn't "wet" enough for the flour etc to stick, instead of using egg wash we used to use water and flour mixed up you could try

13. MWP

MWP Member

I had cinnamon salt & pepper squid a few months ago.
    Was very very good.

Might be interesting to try with this recipe.

14. Kozzie

Kozzie Member

15. Killer Bee

Killer Bee Member

oh i love salt pepper squid! gonna give this a go.

16. Kozzie

Kozzie Member

made it feel sick im fukn useless i didnt have enough oil and the oil wasnt hot enough when i put the 2nd lot in so all the batter just kinda came off. ended up just being a brown oily mess in a bowl with some chilli pieces hahaha didnt even bother taking photo to embaressed. was fun though i think next time i wont bother flouring it again after ive batterd it. i think thats what made it way to ... coated

17. Kozzie

Kozzie Member

$13 a kilo cost me and that was just the head/body tube parts allready cleaned n skinned etc

18. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Is 10 seconds really enough to cook it? How long do most of you guys cook the calamari for?

19. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

I made a variant on this a while back and it had more spice in it and some more wok tossing at the end. (Apologies for lack of pictures, but this is off the top of my head)

For the coating, you do not need to add a egg wash unless you want to give it a tempura or battered effect. Simply drying the squid with some chux or paper towels is fine. It is important to do this so the squid is not "wet" when you drop it in the oil. This can cause the flour coating to flake off the squid. Also, before you serve, be sure to drain the basket from as much oil as possible, even resting on paper towels for 30 seconds will suffice.

What you will be cooking with:

Deepfryer
    Wok

Anyways, here we go (This should cover 4 portions of squid, but you can mix and match spices according to taste and portion sizes):

1 cup flour
    4 tbsp Ground Cumin
    2 tbsp Garlic Powder
    3 tbsp Chinese Five spice
    2 tbsp Celery Salt
    1 tbsp Chilli powder
    2 tbsp tumeric

Mix all the flour and spice together. (You can add salt and pepper if you want, but you will be adding it later)

Now, get ready the following ingrediants while you wait for the deepfryer to heat up. Turn it up to around 180-200 degrees c.

2 Cloves of garlic crushed and finely diced
    1 small knob of Ginger, crushed and finely diced
    1 long red chilli, finely chopped
    1 tsp Salt (Maldon sea salt is best. Grained salt will suffice, but Maldon is the best)
    1 tsp Cracked pepper Pepper
    I lime, cut into small 6 piece wedges
    1 cup of Dried shallots
    1 bunch of fresh corriander, roughly chopped
    Bunch of shallots, thinly chopped
    3 tbsp seasame oil

Now, the fun part, dry the squid as outlined above, make sure it is still sticky, but not wet. You can cut the squid however you prefer. A lot of chefs prefer to score the squid as this prevents the squid from getting tight and ugly. Scoring allows the squid to curl naturally and it absorbs some more flavour as well.

Coat the squid in the flour/spice mix then drop the squid in the deep fryer until the squid starts to colour gold slightly. This should take 30-45 seconds max. Let the squid drip free of some of the oil, then transfer to some paper towels for 15-20 seconds. At this point, start heating your wok. Use gas heat too if possible. You will need a heavy flame to do the next part nicely.

Now, heat the sesame oil in the wok until the oil gets slightly smokey. Now turn the heat off, then chuck in the garlic, ginger, chilli, salt and pepper into the oil and keep the mix moving. You want to cook the garlic, but not burn it. 20 seconds max. Now, transfer the squid into the wok and toss the mixture around the wok for 10-15 seconds. The idea here is to coat these base flavours onto the squid for the next part.

Next, add the dried shallots and toss around some more. by now the wok should have cooled a bit so it's alright to let the mix settle a bit. Next, grab all six lime wedges. Squeeze the juice of all six into the mix, but leave the carcass of 4 wedges, chuck them into the wok to be tossed around into the mix as well. Next add the corriander and chopped shallots.

I understand this will be a very busy wok by now, but this is the idea. Start to vigorously toss the wok with all the ingrediants. The idea now is to infuse the squid with all the flavours in the wok, which is allowed through the coating on the squid.

Get some plates, pile everything from the wok onto these plates into equal amounts and place a lime wedge carcass on each plate.

This is all to be done very quickly. The whole wok (from dropping the squid in to the wok) to plate process should not take more than 1 minute 30 seconds. Over that time, and your squid will start to go cold.

Hope you all enjoy. It's really nice and savoury, great for summer.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  20. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

IMHO no, but really not far off...

I usually leave them for 15-20 seconds.

The biggest 2 mistakes people make when cooking squid are:
    1. Oil not hot enough. You want it HOT so you can flash fry. (around 200-220 deg). People who do this find it comes out soggy - in other words the oil soaked into the batter rather than cooking it.
    2. Cook for too long. This makes the squid tough and rubbery.