1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Salzburg or Vienna?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Thudd, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Thudd

Thudd Member

In an upcoming Europe trip I have the opportunity for a days stopover in either Salzburg or Vienna, but not both. Which should I pick? I've effectively got a bit under 24 hours in the city: arriving late morning, leaving early morning the next day.

Salzburg seems more "picture postcard" and with everything condensed into easy walking distance, Vienna more "classic Europe" but with the sights spread out over a greater area.

Pros and cons please? "Both" is not an option.

2. OPM881

OPM881 Member

I have recently been to both, and I will say no matter what you probably wont see everything in a day. Salzburg has some great stuff(such as Mozart's birth place, and the house he grew up in, as well as the big ass castle on the hill), along with the whole thing to do with the Von Trap family. Vienna is also very beautiful, and has many things to look at such as the music museum, the original Sachertorte cafe, and a few other things. Vienna actually has a lot of stuff within walking distance of each other. Really it is up to you for what you want to see, if there is something specific in one of the cities that the other doesnt have, go to that city.

3. dannok

dannok Member

If you can only do one I would definitely do Vienna.

Such a beautiful city, the sights aren't as far spread as you think. When I was there we did a 2hr walking tour on arrival and saw most of what was around and tips and ideas of things to do in your own time.
    If you get time to go to the opera it's amazing, only 4 euros for standing space tickets at the door. also there's a restaurant that serves schnitzels on a sword. Beautiful place to just wander the old town and grab a coffee.

Salzburg's old town is a nice but a bit more touristy, maybe if you have money and want to go shopping it would be good. the castle is cool and the Augustiner beer hall is great, best beer ever (not incl Belgium style beers). you can also do a sound of music tour that takes you out of salzburg for some excellent scenery and kiche tour guide-y-ness.

All in all they would both keep you busy and entertained but if you only get one taste of Austria it would have to be Vienna.

Ahh now I feel like going through my euro photos again....

4. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

My vote is for Salzburg, and by a long shot.

You can see more of Salzburg in a day than you can Vienna. Go up to the castle, have lunch with epic beer, walk around town, see the fancy garden.

One of the biggest things to see in Vienna is the palace (Schloß Schönbrunn), and to tour that completely can take a day in itself. There's also a shitload of museums which would also take time. I didn't find Vienna that 'pretty' to walk around either. I still loved it a a city...but I was there for 4 days so time wasn't an issue.

As you can see though its all personal opinion. Some people love different cities for different reasons. Scrap both and go to Berchtesgaden :p

5. Zee

Zee Member

I'd go for Salzburg.

Plenty to see and do in both, and walking in any direction from Steffansplatz is going to result in a reasonably enjoyable day.

I just feel the Salzburg has more character, Vienna is a bit sterile. The castle in Salzburg is pretty awesome, and there are plenty of things to do to occupy 24hrs - though it does seem to close down pretty early, I wa slast there about 2 years ago, and there was not much to do after about 8pm (though it was a week night).

Either way, get yourself a "Vienna card" or a Salzburg card", they are about 20 euro, form memory, but give you way more value in attractions and discounts - a lot of museums and galleries will give you free entry with the card, though you'll need to read the booklet at the tourist info booths to get the full list of discounts and benefits. Well worth it, even for a ~24hr stint.

Man, I'm starting to miss Austria too...

Z...

6. Fresh79

Fresh79 Member

Salzburg definitely...if only for the Eagle's Nest. Although it might be closed this time of year depending on road conditions.

7. OP
    OP
    Thudd

Thudd Member

If I was going by myself I would have been there yesterday ;) Bled, too - damn, but I want to get there! No, it's Salzburg or Vienna because of the train route.

8. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

These are totally different cities. Salzburg is more "scenic", cosy, definitely "postcard", but much smaller and full of tourists. There is much more to see in Vienna though. Unless you go for the world-famous Salzburg "Festspiele", I would visit Vienna.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  9. Sorrow

Sorrow Member

Yeah it was closed when I was in salzburg in the middle of winter.. bit shit but Salzburg was still awesome.

I loved Salzburg, picturesque town on the river. Nice and cosy in the middle of winter. I think I visited Castle Neuschwanstein (one of the castles the disney castle was based on) from there, which was awesome.

I didn't visit vienna though so my opinion may be a bit biased.

10. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Missing out man! Bled is unreal, one of my favourite little places.

11. Mickey V

Mickey V Member

What day will you be there?

You need to keep in mind that if its a Sunday, EVERYTHING in Vienna will be closed. They have shorter trading hours than Perth. I learnt that lesson when I had a similar length stopover there.

I've never been to Salzburg, so can't comment on that.

12. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

That's not just a Vienna thing, that's pretty much most of Europe.

13. OP
    OP
    Thudd

Thudd Member

I'll be there on a weekday, not the weekend.

Both times that I'm in Paris though is over a saturday/sunday. I'm sure I'll be able to find something to do there though!

14. OP
    OP
    Thudd

Thudd Member

Update.

Ended up going to Vienna. I'm sure I would have enjoyed Salzburg as well (it looked great as we went past on the train) but Vienna was enjoyable.

Went to St. Stephen's Cathedral - kind of hard to miss it - and did a tour of the catacombs & crypt. Had dinner in the 'Basilisk Restaurant' which we stumbled across while wandering around, and which, if it is the same one, gets absolutely panned on tripadvisor. I'm not sure why; we didn't experience any of the things that the TA reviews mention. Prices were good, no hidden charges, and the food was really good - and I know good food when I have it. Found a great whiskey and spirits shop. Bought my mum a Hermann teddybear (couldn't afford Steiff!). Beer, beer, beer. Walked around the old city. Had Viennese Coffee, in Vienna. All good!

15. Zee

Zee Member

Great to hear that you enjoyed it! I hope you also poked your head in to some of the excellent pastry shops, and also, I really hope you had a schnitzel...

Z...