1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung 5120 x 1440 49" CRG9 super ultrawide C49RG90SSU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by super kermit, Apr 13, 2019.

1. havabeer

havabeer Member

What's a dfhd?

But i would asdume Depends what frame rate you're after

2. renvilo

renvilo Member

Double Full HD.. i like to get min 60 frames.. ideally around 80 to 100 but no lower than 60

3. steelbom

steelbom Member

I think so. I quickly Googled the GTX 1070 and it says it supports 7680x4320@60Hz, so it should be able to handle 5120x1440@120Hz. As long as you have the right DisplayPort version... apparently 1.4 can handle 4K 120Hz so it could do 5120x1440.

I may be thinking of DQHD though. If you're thinking 3840x1080 then it could handle that easily.

In terms of gaming, it depends on what you're playing... I'm running at 3440x1440 on an RX 480 which is not ideal. The 1070 is a fair bit better, and 3840x1080 is a lower resolution than 3440x1440.

4. renvilo

renvilo Member

Well I had a 1080ti on a Samsung 4k screen and well it felt that it struggled a bit (thinking of that now the 4k screen was only 60hz...) so maybe that's why I felt it struggled hahaha..Yea its 3840x1080... Just trying to think if a 49" 3840x1080 is better than a 35" 3440x1440. Using it for work 80% of the time so a lot of web applications/SQL etc. I'm scared the 1440 will end up being a bit small in font size and if I then have to upscale it to 125% I'll lose space and not fit all my tabs as good as on a 49"...

Current screen is 1080 27" so its got 81ppi and it was fine for me (in gaming quality I mean.) The 49" works out to 81 as well. The 35" is like 106

5. steelbom

steelbom Member

Ahhh I see. Yeah 4k is a lot of pixels to push... 3840x1080 is around 4.2 million pixels; half that of 4k (8.4~). But yeah if you wanted to hit really high frame rates it may be challenging.

I don't find the font size too small for my usage but I do sit really close to the screen due to my eyesight (~12 inches).

As you say, could be a good move to get the one with the same PPI as your current monitor. Maybe check it (or something similar) out in store if you have that option.

6. elisiX

elisiX Member

After some hunting around and trying to get the likes of Scorptec and HN to price match Bing Lee and Officeworks (both at $1999), I found a monitor. Basically I was trying to avoid Bing Lee and Officeworks as they both had no store stock and were claiming it could be weeks before you could get a unit in, even though they had the cheapest price online.

In the end, I found a Bing Lee store who had ordered one in for a customer, but the customer pulled out, so it was sitting out the back unopened. To my surprise, when I said what's the best price he said $1979, so I got a discount on the already heavily discounted price.

Set this screen up today and immediately ran into issues with my MBP. Despite my research, it seems that you can’t get native res 1440p over HDMI, only 1080p. Seems to be cable/Apple related and my research into reddit today says I need to get an 8K USB-C to Display Port 1.4 adapter to use with the Samsung DP to DP cable or just get an appropriate 8K DP to USB-C cable.

Barely any options online – anyone else ran into this and found a suitable cable or dongle? Any advice is much appreciated.

The other thing I noticed is just how spoilt I’ve been on a 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display. Text on this screen (DPD mode to get 5K working), showed pretty average looking text on screen.

While I don’t have a gaming rig now (I game on my PS4 with a 75” Sony FALD TV), I likely will soon, but I absolutely need my MBP to work with this display. The LG/Dell would have worked no problem right away over USB-C, so it’s a shame that Samsung didn’t include it.

7. Omarko

Omarko Member

if you decide to sell it send me a message, been looking for one for a while !

8. elisiX

elisiX Member

If I did sell it the other options are to pick up the equivalent Dell or LG, but they’re just not quite as good - gaming or otherwise.

I may end up building a gaming PC, however that said, I still want it to work with my MacBook Pro and ideally my wife’s 2020 Air.

Without an 8K cable my options are 3840 x 1080p using the full screen (which looks washed out and horrible) or 3840 x 1440p which looks great, but only uses 2/3 the screen (this is DPD mode set to 21:9 without a second display connected).

mwave sell the cable/dongle I believe I need, but I’m waiting until Tuesday to call and make sure before I order.

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/st...-to-displayport-adapter-cable-8k-hbr3-ac27040

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/st...yport-14-adapter-8k-30hz-hbr3-adapter-ac33794

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  9. 3xcalibur

3xcalibur Member

Probably worth checking if the more expensive adapter supports 5120 x 1440 @ 60 HZ, doesn't seem like it's clear in the listing. Would suck if it only supports 30HZ!

10. 3xcalibur

3xcalibur Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  11. connico

connico Member

Get a dock that supports the resolution that is USBC... Problem solved

We use the humanscale mconnect with arm for our mbp fleet

12. elisiX

elisiX Member

I've emailed MWAVE to ask exactly what I should be buying from the items they have available. They're all Startech components.

13. 3xcalibur

3xcalibur Member

How'd you go with this elisiX ?

14. elisiX

elisiX Member

MWAVE, literally despite 3 emails now, have not replied to me. They're phones are off so I can't call either.

On Whirlpool I got some advice regarding an adlogic 4k cable which actually worked with the included DP to DP cable to give me full res.

With this adapter and cable pairing it meant that I didn't need to run 2 adapters; one for for DP and another for HDMI for DPD dual screens.

That said, it won't display at the full 120hz (I don't think). In the OSD it shows 120hz on the 'circles', but 60hz on the info screen.

I do believe that an 8K cable is required to push 120hz. Is there a way I can test this refresh rate without using the OSD in MacOS?

15. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

Looking to get one of these shortly and just want to know what graphics card i will need

I have a tiny ITX build but just use onboard now for my dual 24s, however i know that wont run this at full res, id need something small like the ITX range of cards, or a small quadro - not looking to spend heaps

I want to run it just like a dual monitor too and wondering what people do here, Run a single feed and just snap the windowss, or run dual feeds from your PC to the screen and have it actually seen as two screens in windows?

16. Jza85

Jza85 Member

For gaming?
    I run it with a 1080ti. It's fine but I wish I had more power for newer or unoptimized games.

17. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

not really a gamer

Basic work tasks, some 3d models to print, things like that

18. MrSHADOW

MrSHADOW Member

Does anyone play Assetto Corsa or Assetto Corsa Competizione using a 49" 120~144Hz screen? Samsung/AOC/Strix?

I am wondering how my 1660Ti will go running at 3840×1080. I am wishing to have FPS running between 100~120 and would like to be able to drive the display at a minimum of 100Hz if I can.

I literally only play these 2 games in my SIM, no desktop use at all.