Samsung 850 EVO SSD Warranty

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by glenpinn, Nov 8, 2017.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

What a pain in the butt it is to navigate thru the Samsung website to try and find out the warranty status of a dead 250gb 850 EVO SSD that came out of my Dell Precision M4700.

It was in the M4700 when i bought it off the forum earlier this year, only had 52 hours on it, and my son would have done about 100 hours while he had it, so DEAD after 150 hours, pretty shitty i think.

Anyway, i finally ended up doing one of those online chat things with Samsung support, gave them the serial number, they tell me it has 5 year warranty, and will email me the RMA instructions in 2 to 3 days.

I was told that after it is returned, they do some kind of checkup on the drive to see why it is dead, if it was failure outside my control they replace it, if they find it was damaged by other means, it gets returned to me.

Looks like Samsung doesn't need a receipt like i thought they would do, as there is a lot of conflicting stuff to the contrary out there in Google land.

Anyway, hopefully i get a new one, and i have also bid on another newish one in the forum yesterday, hopefully will get that one as well.

Anyone else had issues with Samsung getting warranty ?

Cheers

2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I think you are lucky that it got replaced at all. Most times OEM drives are handled through the OEM (Dell in this case unless it was a replacement) .

A lot of Vendors don't require a receipt. The only time its really needed is if the devices is out of the listed warranty (starts from production or shipping, some such) but might still be in the from sale warranty.

3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

The SSD was not an OEM as it was not in the laptop from new, the previous owner from the forum put it in there, and it had 52 hours on it when he sent it to me, my son then added around 100 hours in the 7 months he used it, so it was obviously a retail unit, because it has the 5 year warranty, and i told him i did not have the receipt as i was not the original buyer, he said they don't need one, it is based on the serial number.

I don't see how they could determine that the SSD died from human error, there must be some way they can tell, but it was working fine when i got the laptop and re-installed win 10 for my son to use it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Guess they're looking to see if you've bent pins.. zapped it or otherwise killed it through physical means.

5. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yeah i guess so, but i am fairly confident this SSD died of natural causes.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

In that case you should be fine. I don't think you will encounter any problems from samsung support. I've dealt with them a few times previously and they have been very good.

7. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Strangely the SSD was returned to my home 2 days ago after spending $8 posting it to Samsung last week, turns out the lady at the PO stuck the 2 stamps on the sticky tape that i used to seal the box up with, and they came off somewhere in transit, and it was sent "return to sender" so i took it back yesterday and this time i put it in a padded envelope, and it cost me another $8 in postage, but i have made a claim to have my original postage refunded because stamps don't stick on sticky tape very well, and the girl at the PO was new and didn't know.

I did email Samsung support yesterday (Dianne) to let them know the SSD was returned to me, and that same afternoon Dianne called my mobile to let me know she will be looking out for the padded bag, and will get my RMA sorted out as quick as possible.

8. darknebula

darknebula Member

/subscribed

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Did you leave a spot in the top right that was without sticky tape?

10. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

This SSD shipped to me already in the M4700 laptop, with 52 hours use on it, my son used it for 6 months, and it died, so i sent it back to Samsung in another samsung 850 EVO SSD box that i had in my drawer, and i printed out the cover label they emailed to me and stuck it on the box with sticky tape, and that label covered the whole front of the box, and i then sealed along the top of the box with another piece of sticky tape, and that was where she put the 2 stamps, she folded them half over the top right side of the flap, and half on the face of the box so they didn't cover any of the writing on the label, so unfortunately where she put the stamps was sticky tape, but she could have put them elsewhere, but like i said, the manager of the store said she is only new to the job and didn't know the stamps will not stick to tape properly.

I am getting my money back, so its all ok, shit happens sometimes, and it was good that this worked out ok and we knew what the problem was.

11. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Hey Glenn, keep us 8nformed on Samsung RMA process. Keen to know, I have few Samsung ssd and keen to know how painless or painful it is.

From what your saying no receipt required?
    Did you find a webpage to check warranty status?

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

All good then, I just hear they can be sticklers at times.

13. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Ok as i mentioned in my OP, the Samsung website is a pain in the butt, and i would say that it would be one of, if not, the worse websites, along with Westpac, that i have ever had to use, i could not find any page where you can input the SSD serial number and have it tell you if it is valid or not, so i just did an online chat session in the following link, the guy took the serial and told me it is a retail SSD and is in warranty, he then got Dianne from support to send me an email with all the required documentation to fill out, print off the label, and off it went.

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/#contactus

It was painless, the chat session started almost immediately, took 5 minutes, the email arrived within 1 hour, and usually when you have to rely on doing this sort of thing entirely online without having to call them, it would usually be a right royal pain.

When the SSD arrived back at my home, i emailed Dianne to let her know why it had not arrived at Samsung, she called me a few hours later and told me she will look out for the new package.

I have bookmarked that link now so i have it for reference in case i need it again, so i got to say, apart from their useless website, things went well.

Oh, and warranty is entirely on the Serial number, if you have an OEM Hdd or SSD that was shipped in a laptop and it dies or becomes faulty, Samsung does not warrant those, you need to contact your laptop manufacturer and they deal with it under the warranty of the laptop.

ipv6ready likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Samsung SSD arrived today, and this is how it turned up, a big box in a sachel, the box was full of bubblewrap and other packaging material, and i found the SSD box in there among all that.
    They certainly don't mess about, and most others would be using some form of commercial packaging (padded box or bag) to put these types of items in to post back to customers, this package was a custom job by one of their workers, and i got to say it is way over kill.

Certainly have no complaints about Samsung and their support.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

ipv6ready likes this.
  15. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Great, my only concern would have been the environment. Though it does look like recycled packag8ng lol.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Lol, looks like the packaging I get from a certain PC store retailer in Australia.....massively padded out boxes with a tiny item inside - I know officeworks are like this also. But I'm not complaining though.

17. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yeah i don't care what they do with the packaging, i just think it is way way overkill for an item that has no mechanical moving parts inside, and even if it was a normal platter Hdd, this is still way way overkill as well.

The same goes for people posting laptops here on the forum, many go overboard with packaging, others refuse to post because they think the item is too fragile, but when you think about it, look at the way these laptop manufacturers package their laptops in their boxes, there is not a lot holding it in place, and the boxes are not filled with filler padding that fills in the empty spaces to stop the box from being crushed.

18. bcann

bcann Member

How about this for a winner ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/hp_packaging/

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

20. bcann

bcann Member

haven't had many deliveries from HP ave you? There was a period for several years where hp would way overbox/pack things and there was actually a comp where people were sending in their ridiculous HP packing efforts.... i think the winner was a shipping pallette/crate with a large box with a single piece of paper in it for a software license.