Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by OJR, Sep 23, 2015.

1. OJR

OJR Member

2. _slacker_

_slacker_ Member

Will be interesting to see store pricing here in Au. Im keen for one in the next few months so would be nice if they are actually reasonably priced here.:thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    OJR

OJR Member

Being a pro series it should be more widely available too. The SM951 being OEM only is only available from a few selected retailers. This is also keeping the price relatively high.

These should eventually trickle down to your MSY/CPL/<insert dodgy asian PC shop name here> type stores.

4. ae00711

ae00711 Member

want.
    BUT BRING ON THE 1TB STICKS ALREADY! :mad:

5. PureFire

PureFire Member

Not bad. Looks like they have added a back plate or something as a heat sink?

6. OP
    OP
    OJR

OJR Member

Nope just the PCB, the NAND chips on it and a sticker. AND FINALLY A BLACK PCB!

7. ae00711

ae00711 Member

1Tb coming out next year.... so can't wait!

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

but dorrah below 70c = many billionties

9. Diode

Diode Member

Great news! I've been looking at the SM951 for my new rig and I couldn't find the NVMe version. Hopefully the wait isn't too long for these to be in stores and that the price becomes a little more affordable.

10. akashra

akashra Member

I'm looking at one of these (500GB) for when I move to a a Socket 1151 board - will hold off my Windows 10 upgrade until that time, I think. Will keep the existing SATA 840EVO 500GB as a secondary drive.

I look forward to now having SATA cables everywhere.

11. issa2006

issa2006 Member

Heat Problems even with out a video card on top?

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-sm951-m-2-pcie-ssd-review-512gb/ Older model Ahci
    [​IMG]

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...nvme-with-v-nand-for-eye-popping-performance/ New model Nvme
    [​IMG]

Most of the m2 slots are under the first pci e 16x video card slot

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Extreme7+/index.us.asp

This one can raid m2 together i think
    Its a odd board with more than 1 m2 slot
    [​IMG]

The high speed m2 ssd get very hot and throttle speed down when they do.. but wont it get worst when you have 1 or 2 video card on top of them blowing hot air, like the 980 nidia gigabyte windforce 3 fan blower etc

i see a motherboard maker moving the m2 slot to the bottom right of board.

m2 slots speed are pci v2.0 x2 or x4 m2 slot, then its pci e v3.0 x4 m2 slot

[​IMG]
    https://www.asus.com/nz/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/

can you put those m2 converters to sata that asus and asrock make typ $50 to hook up the intel ssds and m2 adaptors and place it elsewhere when you can cool them.

plexstore made a pci e card that the m2 card had a hest sink on it its black n red

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/plextor-m6e-black-edition-128gb-pcie-20-x2-ssd-pxag128m6ebk-ab60681

[​IMG]

it was a first attempt to get past the limited sata 3 bottleneck with 1 m2, or others maid a raid 0 version.. pci v2.0 slot type..

but we know from older new standards m2 ssd they gets too hot in normal use and automatically slows down..

they tried too its a x4 pci v2.0 product. Its faster then above

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/kingston-hyperx-predator-480gb-pcie-ssd-shpm2280p2h480g-ab60669
    [​IMG]

they need a slim m2 pass through via a cable and put the m2 ssd or 2.5 inch ssd package where you keep your hdd then you could use hdd cooling

curr m2 converters from slot

http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/card.asp?Model=U.2 Kit
    [​IMG]

Does that get in the way of you high end video card etc.. They dont picture it where the m2 slot is below the video card?????

Its Big

also

Asrock boosts bandwidth of M.2 SSDs with ‘Ultra M.2’, but there is a catch

http://www.kitguru.net/components/m...m-2-ssds-with-ultra-m-2-but-there-is-a-catch/

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  12. issa2006

issa2006 Member

are those 2 slots n power sata 3 on the front of mb dead now.

ie never seen a product.. its just 2 sata 3 n power working like in raid o for transfer with out the raid part like the m2

is msata dead too

So for m2

a) m2 which are not ahci, you need bios support to boot up.. and or access drive letter?

b) The m2 that are ahci you need pci e m2 port . and bios support

c) And for the m2 that are b and m key you need just a m2 support (they are sata 3) you csan use a ms to sata3 converter (all old boards treat as 2.5 inch ssd)

[​IMG]
    all b and m m2 cards are stata type limited transfer speed pci v2.0 i think....????

One more thing, i use ram drive and notice Cpu usage over a 4 core goes up quite a bit, does the faster access speed increase cpu usage on the faster m2 ssds

Also note many motherboard ane not compatible with many ssd m2 cards... like the newest asus hero board does not work with the m2 samsung evo ssd...

you Think it Would

unlike any optical or hdd or reg ssd which work on most sata 2/3 ports now

13. issa2006

issa2006 Member

14. ae00711

ae00711 Member

seriously dude.. the only way these get too hot is in unrealistic benchmark situations. NEVER in real life usage. Move on.

15. issa2006

issa2006 Member

Well i was thinking on every day use, ie its under you video card which pushes heat over your system , motherboard ..etc

If you are playing a game wont the m2 under 1 or 2 video card overheat, or shorten it life of the ssd?

Playing games for say a 4hour session over x months..

Heats bad for a ssd???

I think the motherboard makers need to put that u2 adaptor plug on the side or the motherboard where the sata ports are.. its a sas plug?

16. OP
    OP
    OJR

OJR Member

Dude, I just spent 10minutes of my life which I will never get back, reading that clusterfuck wall of text and badly laid out hyperlinks. What are you actually saying? Or asking?

17. akashra

akashra Member

Any scenario where a game is reading or writing so much data that it causes an SSD to overheat would be using so much throughput that any regular mechanical HDD would likely be so slow that a game would be near unplayable.

18. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

My Kingston hyperx pcie m.2 dosnt get that warm with normal use

The backplate on my 980ti on the other hand gets too hot to touch for more then a second

19. issa2006

issa2006 Member

The high end gpus get hot can with or without fan radiate heat below them where the m2 card is.
    Esp 2 gpu setup..

It gets quit hot under the gpu .. asus 970 2 fan card, 2011 3 cpu..

i put a prob under card where m2 slot is, while looping 3dmark latest test.
    (probe got to 73 deg on mboard under video card (not touching vcard) place at m2 slot plug.) 6 hour testing video card open case test for heat

Case was open room temp 25d cel.

(building a 6 core system)

Stress testing...

I build a ssd raid 1 setup 2x evo 250g 250model putting ssds in holder in 5 1/4 bay away from heat

Iv seen heat from the front of a video card kill a ssd in 6 months sli 680

Im a bit scared that the m2 slot and 1 or 2 high end gpu would kill the m2 ssd in 6 months too

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  20. OP
    OP
    OJR

OJR Member

Then you just claim warranty. why would they offer 5 years warranty if it was so sensitive to heat?