Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by OJR, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Skramit

Skramit Member

I got a 950 Pro 512 for my old mans new system. Very disappointed with the boot times of ~45 seconds. After some research (too late!!) appears to be the motherboard takes longer to initialise the boot drive when its M.2 NVME vs traditional SATA interface which is very fast to initialise.

Anyway once booted it's super fast but disappointed I didn;t know it would be so slow to boot..... be warned!

The samsung driver update did improve the boot times slightly but not much.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

Your motherboard is at fault.

Not the drive.

I am at a usable desktop in < 6 seconds.

3. aza2001

aza2001 Member

so 5.59 seconds :lol: :p

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

I literally installed windows 10 from a USB3 stick and had a usable desktop in 3 minutes from power on.

5. stinkyminge

stinkyminge Member

I just a built a new system also and itd about 35secs to boot but most of that is the motherboard posting (asus deluxe).
    I would check your mobo setting for fast boot etc and disable unecessary system options

6. Skramit

Skramit Member

It's an Asus H170-Pro

I couldn't work out how to get it booting any faster. "Fast boot" is turned on. Anyone else with an Asus MB with M.2 know where I can look?

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

My 950 Pro 256GB NVME M.2 is much much slower to boot than my wifes 850 Sata. We're talking <5 seconds to a usable desktop with hers, and about 45 20 seconds for mine. (Just timed it, I guess it just felt like a long time lol)

Hers is on Haswell/Asus H97/Celeron, I'm on Skylake/Z170/6600K (Asus Z170i Pro Gaming).

My machine however has all the shit hanging off it.

Her only external input is her wireless desktop, and the 850 is her only drive, but my machine on the other hand has about 10 USB devices connected to it, including various hard drives.

If I unplug all the external crap, mine boots faster than hers.

Its clearly the extra devices holding things up (in my case).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  8. NSanity

NSanity Member

I have an X99-A

I just said "fast boot" everything.

There is like 4 different options or so.

Don't forget to set the drive as AHCI.

9. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

So I've currently got a 1.2Tb intel 750 in my desktop, and bought one of the 950 pros in the 512Gb size for my laptop, only to find it already had a SM951 (512gb) installed.

Might pickup a NUC and put it into that.. bit of a waste though!

Is there any way to use it as an external device? USB case or any thing? If not, might get one of the upcoming Skull Canyon NUCs for a beasty HTPC :p

10. ae00711

ae00711 Member

I may have not learnt something with the smidge reading I have done re: NVME, AHCI etc.. but I thought NVME replaces AHCI.. wouldn't / shouldn't there be an option for AHCI? :confused:

It seems counter-intuitive to choose AHCI for a NVME drive :(

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Ahh.

I don't have an NVMe Drive.

Sorry - My bad ;P

(I have the SM951).

12. oh_noes

oh_noes Member

What's the best motherboard for this bad boy? Any issues with the Asus Z170 lines?

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Define 'issues' lol... I can't say mine feels incredibly faster than my old sata 850's in general use. The benchmarks say otherwise of course.

Just how fast it is compared to a lesser drive I think will depend entirely on the purpose you have in mind for it. The main advantage of an SSD has been seek time up till now, and unless you are doing large file transfers between multiple high speed SSD's probably still is.

Transferring a large file from a 950 to a barracuda will be no faster than an 850 (IMO), because the barracuda is the limiting factor. You'd need to be transferring between multiple 950's to get the full speed advantages on offer (IMO). That's something Crystal Disk doesn't measure though....

That said, it's fast, so far it's reliable, and because on my Asus board the m.2 slot is on the back of the board, very convenient. I've had no problems with it whatsoever, even installing it was dead easy.

I simply plugged it into the board, cloned the original 850 onto it with Samsungs excellent migration tool (search and download, retail packaging does not bundle any software at all with the 950), switched it off, removed the 850 and switched it on again. It booted straight into the 950 as drive C, didn't go near the BIOS at all in the process :thumbup:

The only possible issue I am aware of with the drive is I've heard concerns about them overheating when mounted on the back of boards like mine and artificially worked as hard as possible for extended periods.

I certainly have had no such problem but mine is an open case and there is airflow over the drive. I'm pretty sure I've also read stuff that says the issue is exaggerated and not worth worrying about though. If you think about it.. what would you need to do to max out your drive for an extended period anyway?

As for Asus motherboards, I can only speak for one. Mine is an Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, and I've experienced nothing but good with the combo.

Very happy with mine, but no regrets that I didn't pay double for the even faster 512 (mines only 256) as I am struggling to reconcile cost against real world performance gain, and I don't need the bigger drive so I wouldn't buy it just for the extra speed.

I'll certainly buy another 256 for my next build (unless prices drop on the 512 ;) ), with total confidence that it will make me happy.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  14. Manusdei

Manusdei Member

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

16. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It looks like the AHCI version was an early "adaption" because (that's how I read the Anand article) the NVMe firmware wasn't ready when they launched the SM951. I checked at few vendors in Akihabara, they all carry the NVMe version only. It seems the AHCI version isn't around anymore. On the paper the NVMe is a bit faster, but I guess practically it's totally irrelevant.

That's clearly a problem of your board then. ;)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  17. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

I want a 950 but need redundancy and can't afford two! (well motherboard is the first hurdle, then the cost of the 2nd)

well... I can if I wait but im impatient.

What would you guys do ?

1. Settle with 1x 950 Pro 256gb for Applications / Pagefile & 2x 850 pro in Raid 1 for redundancy saving an incremental backup of the 950 to the 850s each night

or

Wait to get 2x 950 pro 512gb and keep everything together on there in raid 1 dismissing the incremental backup ?

Cheers!

18. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Can somebody explain the difference between the

950 PRO M.2 MZ-V5P512B/CS
    950 PRO M.2 MZ-V5P512B/IT

??

The CS version is retailing here for around 30 $ more (512 GB), and is difficult to get. Why?

19. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

is one pcie and the other sata ?

20. Renza

Renza Member

How can the 950 pro be sata when its a NVMe device? theyre both PCI-e, my guess is just different target region codes