1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung d500 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by riblau, Apr 1, 2005.

1. riblau

riblau Member

Ok, so I got my D500 two weeks ago and I love it.

So I'm going to start a club. Just put your number here and I will update as often as I can.

Also PM me if you want any games and apps for this phone, there is a website here in the uk with free open source games and apps and i have heaps.

Bluesoilel is a bluetooth product that works really well with this phone and lets you back up phone book, upload files and create a serial connection with the phone. Get it.

Useful Sites:

Forum: http://www.mobile-review.com/forum2...isplay.php?f=17 (warning some poor POOR english skills in some cases.)
    Guide: http://315.fiberworld.nl/d500/ This is a fairly definitive guide to putting java games on the phone

Member List:

Riblau - Member #1
    Tapek - Member #2
    Mystical - Member #3
    FuzzyImages - Member #4

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  2. Tapek

Tapek Member

got mine today! lovin it - Numbah 2! :D

i did the java uploader unlock thing and it works great. most sites i have found that are good speak little to no english and the ones that do are bad engrish hehe.

Theres a firmware out that makes it into a d500e and also another that gives u voice dialling\commands (like say camera and camera opens etc) but the instructions are poor and i dont have a data cable yet. Hope tangcla gets one of these :D

3. OP
    OP
    riblau

riblau Member

That firmware sounds interesting, will have to get my hands on it. I can get a data cable for about £20, I've got a bluetooth plug, and have been using that for games etc

I notice the data cable has a plug for a 9v battery as the flashing process takes around 90 mins.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  4. mystical

mystical Member

I got a quick question for the D500 owners. With the low battery warning, if the phone is set to silent mode will the low battery warning be silent too (eg, the phone just flashes now and then and says battery low)?

The reason I ask is my gf has a Samsung V205 and there is no way to turn the low battery warning tone off.

If battery warnings can go silent my gf and I are going to be buying one this week and joining the club =)

Thanks

*edit* I actually got another question. With regards to charging the phone can it be charged any time or must the batteries be low/depleted to get the most out of it?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  5. OP
    OP
    riblau

riblau Member

You can charge the phone at any time, I haven't really let mine get low since I bought it, after I did a few full charge/discharge cycles, I put it on the charger next to my bed almost every night.

It does go down quicker if you use bluetooth and play games though.

6. mystical

mystical Member

i just got the phone today so count me in =)

if i wanted to transfer files to and from my phone, can i use a bluetooth dongle or do i need to get a usb data cable to do that?

7. OP
    OP
    riblau

riblau Member

Bluetooth will let you do anything except flash the phone I believe.

including transfering files and pics, installing games/apps and backing up phonebook/calender.

8. mystical

mystical Member

thanks for that riblau.

if i do end up buying a data cable should i get a genuine samsung one or would those $9 ones on ebay do the exact same job?

9. OP
    OP
    riblau

riblau Member

I don't think you would really need the genuine one, as they're the same really.

10. |bLuEqUt|

|bLuEqUt| Member

We just got this phone at work, and i played with it, I dunno i really just doesn't feel the best, maybe i have two big hands or something?

11. Tapek

Tapek Member

yup, u can do anything cept flash with bluetooth. As long as it is the USB data cable with a 9v battery, the cheapest one you can find should be good enough. Im gonna get mine some time next week so i can get voice dialling\commands going.

The phone feels fine to me, i have big hands and the only problem i have was getting used to # to space instead of 0 and 0 to cycle through words instead of *. Playing games is all good and the menu is easy enough to navigate.

The camera is a massive step up from my 7250i, has a flash and camcorder. Also mp3 ringtones are very loud, to bad vibrate doesnt work during tone but meh small price to pay, and it does vibrate before it rings so u do get some notice if your in a loud place.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  12. Tapek

Tapek Member

reckon we should post sites with d500 specific stuff, the sticky in the mobile phone forum is outdated and crappy, and if we just post in here you can stick it in the first post for new owners to get going.

I will start by posting a goodish forum + the best bluetooth java download tutorial:

Forum: http://www.mobile-review.com/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=17 (warning some poor POOR english skills in some cases.)
    Guide: http://315.fiberworld.nl/d500/

13. OP
    OP
    riblau

riblau Member

Yes the flobot thing at fiberworld is easily the best.

I have hundreds of games and apps, but can't be bothered tracking down all the sites. If you want them, e-mail me and I will send them to you.

14. Mark-D

Mark-D Member

i've just got a few questions regarding this fone as i'm looking at it for when my contract finishes up

1) does it allow for mp3's as ringtones and sms tones? i see that it does mp3s as ringtones, but can you choose mp3s for your sms alert tone?

2) can someone post a few pics taken from the camera, with or without the flash.

3) how is the external speaker, as well as the screen in daytime/direct sunlight?? personally i've got both the t610 and z600 and the screens in daytime are bad. and my friends V3 is just as bad as well.

4) how is the menu system? as someone who has predominantly (sp??) used only se and on the occasion nokias, are the menu systems easy to use? would it take long to learn how to get around to different functions?

cheers,

Mark_D

15. OP
    OP
    riblau

riblau Member

Hey mate

1) You can have as ringtone, but not sms

2) The camera is great, especially in hi res, which you can only download by bluetooth, not mms as they are too big. The flash is especially good, really handy. Check these, or e-mail me for others:

http://www.gsmarena.com/review.php3?idReview=25&idPage=6

That site also has a good review of the phone, it is a bit biased towards it, but offers some good thoughts and criticisms.

3) External speaker is good, but I never use it, it already has a built in loudspeaker, external just makes it even louder. I used it a couple of times when I was in a car that didn't have a radio and it was good. Screen is good, you have adjustable everything for the screen, and its been fine in light, except in really really bright direct sunlight, where it is preferable to angle it away a bit.

4) Menu system is great, really intuitive, you can not only scroll down within menus, but by pressing left and right can get to other parts of the phone
    ie: you can be in the message menu, and press right to get to the camera instantly. I have been using nokias for years (about 6) and its only taken me two weeks and nokias now feel a bit strange and the samsung is natural.

16. Rod M

Rod M Member

just picked up a D500 on the Optus $55 plan, this is the first non Nokia phone for me as well, just been playing with it the past few hours and it feels very nice.

17. OP
    OP
    riblau

riblau Member

do you want to be a member?

18. mostarac

mostarac Member

Has anyone tryed it on an apple with isync?

mostarac

19. abs1nthe

abs1nthe Member

just got my d500 today. as soon as i first saw it i had to have one. its just so asthetically pleasing. charging up rite now. id love to join the club if thats ok. oh btw im on the $44 plan with b. great deal since everywhere else is $55. huge step up from my 3210. lol.

20. Cyb3r

Cyb3r Member

anyone else find it slow to type sms :(