1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Android 3.0 (honeycomb)

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by daztay, May 7, 2011.

1. daztay

daztay Member

Ok got one on these bad boys on thursday night.

There are already lots of reviews out there, so this is not a review just my thoughts.

The first thing I did was set up wifi and disabled the vodafone network, as I dont wont to use up my 1.5G limit if my wireless drop outs.

Going through the privacy setting I noticed "Back up my application data, wifi passwords and other settings to google servers" was ticked, so I figure google knows my wifi password. I thought that was very rude.

As the battery was 50% I went to charge it, plugging in to usb did dont make the charge indicator flicker, so I plugged it into the main adapter supplied and the indicator showed charging. No usb charging that sux.

As I did not get a manual with it i played round to I had a feel of the OS.

Looks and feel is good but after about 10 minutes of holding you hand gets a bit sore. Touch screen works quite well.

I thought the applications were a bit light on.
    I stuck a AVI file on it and could not play it.
    It had no networking eg samba/windows client/server, nor does it have SD card slot. So USB/blue tooth is the only way to get data to and from.
    It does have VPN.

The camera is nice 8mpx.

I signed up to the Android market place to get more apps....now I have a gmail account for some reason.

Have loaded
    Firefox, didnt like there browser, although the speech search defaults to there browser.
    VNC client
    Moboplayer
    various widgets
    I have tried a few samba clients but cant seem to get then to work.

So thats my quick run down.
    Any one else have one, liked to hear your thoughts.

2. power

power Member

FF on android sucks arse, try something else.

Opera, Dolphin or Miren are much better.

I use the stock browser because it's just better on a phone.

I use ES File Explorer for connecting to SMB shares.

Also Pocketcloud for rdp.

Checkout the Android software threads for stuff to use on it.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    daztay

daztay Member

cheers
    Just had a look at opera its nicely polished for the tablet.
    I suppose I am used to FF mobile as I use it on my n900 phone, might check out opera on the phone as well.

This is the first Android Os I have seen so it will take me awhile to find the good apps but I will read the Android thread later tonight. :thumbup:

4. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

I have a Xoom, ive managed to get CIFS working (Mounting network shares within my /videos folder on the tablet). Rockplayer has no trouble playing Divx, MKV etc....

I guess im interesting in seeing how the interface looks, see how much they changed it over stock.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  5. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Wait where did you get the 10.1 from? Do you mean you got the 10.1v?

6. power

power Member

inch, it's size

7. OP
    OP
    daztay

daztay Member

I used ES File Explorer, and I can now connect to lots of shares but cant mount them.
    With mobo player, it sometimes says it needs to copy the file local before playing. I might give rockplayer a go tonight.

I tried to use CIFS using a mount app looks like I need to be root.
    At the moment theres not much info around about this.

I have managed to get the boot loader, so flashing it wont be that hard.

vodafone
    Your right its the 10.1v according to Vodafone site

8. hosh0

hosh0 Member

There is a model called the 10.1 and a model called 10.1.

9. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

IF you can get CIFS to work/mount without root, that could be very good. Post a guide up if you do get it working, I have one of these somewhere in the mail atm, and remote video watching is one of the things I would like it to do.
    If I can't get it to do that, well, that is what VNC and VLC are for :D

And if you cant get it to mount, then a link to how to root it would be nice (Yes, I am slack)

10. OP
    OP
    daztay

daztay Member

ATM some forums have place holders for hacking/rooting it , but no threads, all to new.
    VLC streamer... i will try tonight to get round the problem.

11. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Yeah i dont see getting CIFS without root working...
    Shouldnt be long for the root id think, custom kernels will take longer though.

Rockplayer is def the best i found, most other players were a little unstable when stopping one file and opening another regardless of over SMB or even local.

12. gregzeng

gregzeng Member

Android 3.0 - fewer apps. Google is v. good too.

I bought eBay 7 inch Froyo tablet, $AU80, incl postage. Will post review later.

There are any possible desktops that you can select in Android - each desktop option is offered at boot time, if you have installed them. I have desktops for different purposes: OFFLINE USE, ONLINE USE, GAMES ONLY, HEAVY PROGRAMMING.

Each desktop offers varying number of windows, with variable cpu-robbing,battery-draining backgrounds. Within each window of each of the many desktops - you place your favorite apps.

Generally I have 400+ apps, on my two Android smartphones & tablet. Only the Motorola Defy smartphone is childproof: drop-resistent, scratch-resistant, water-resistant.

Generally - I've bricked ALL my android devices. It is very easy to do. To get better apps, you need to ROOT this Linux (Android) operating system. This will void the warranty, if you are discovered by the warranty people. So XDA forums have many threads on how to restore your rooted device so that no outsider knows that you ever rooted it.

Once rooted, you can better control the gadget: more apps work, faster. Remove rubbish, etc. Upgrade or downgrade as you wish.

With Google-backup, it is extremely easy to pay a few dollars for some paid apps. Google remembers what apps you've used (freeware & paid), so updating, upgrading to a better version or installing on another Android device - is very easy.

My Froyo $80 tablet has 4-way gyroscopic screen direction displays. My Android smartphone had only 2-way displays. Can you use yours 4-ways? None of the reviews of any other tablets seem to mention this.

4-way screen display is important, since if you are wire-connected (HD-TV, power supply, other storage media or ethernet) - you don't want the cable(s) to interfere with your body.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  13. koma_white

koma_white Member

Screen rotation is entirely software dependent. One of the heavily modified Dusted Donuts (1.6) ROM's i used to have on my HTC Magic had the option for 4-way rotation, so it's nothing new.

Personally i quite like the rotation lock that is on a couple of the newer tablets as you don't always want the damn thing auto-orienting!