1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 August

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Kookooburra, Apr 29, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

If your phone was 10% faster would it matter.

2. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

It does matter if it heat up after a game or two and draw more power then it SD counter part.

3. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I don't game on my phone, so I don't know.
    Anyway we're probably getting the 992 and it should be as fast as the 865, not sure about overall efficiency.
    Samsung got embarrassed in Korea with their s20 exynos range, so hopefully they build a decent SOC this time as compared to SD, granted I have nothing but love for the S10+ and S10 5G.

4. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

I have been using Samsung phones for age, they are very hot after a few games and power drain some time for no reason. Since I bought the Oppo find x2 pro my phone not even warm when I play games on it. Anyway Samsung has shut down their custom CPU division and they will be using straight Arm processor and AMD RDNA GPU next year. I hope to back to Samsung phones in a few years.

Kookooburra likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Damn, don't like the sound of this, I wonder if it could really be true...

6. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

It is rumour US region will getting the 865+ which is faster than Exynos 992. So basically it is the same comparison Exynos 990 vs 865 SD. The Note 20 for our region will be slower than US Counterpart. And we pay the same price.

7. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

If the SD 865+ is 10% faster than SD865, the difference between it and the 990 could be as much as 30%.

Whilst this is an absurdity, the 990 is still faster than whats in my Australian s10, so I'll still upgrade if telstra let me as I get a new phone, battery and possibly the best camera.

Also, the specs say the note 20 ultra is 19.3.9 vs my 19.9 and the silly 20.9 aspect ratio of the s20 line.

I remember thinking that my samsung s10 didn't seem any faster than my old HTC10 with SD820, now I know why.

8. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

This is absolutely absurd if this is true. How can the disparity in performance can be that huge for a same model.
    The Note 9 that I am currently using is fabulous and that's the reason I am looking forward to this Note 20 model.

9. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I was sure that in the old days the exynos was the better chip, but clearly SD have caught up and then some.
    Like I said it's still worth getting, but it certainly sux given we pay the Australia tax as well.
    I think this mess will be sorted by S21, but i doubt S21 will be much better than the note 20 ultra unless they properly HW engineer the 10x optical and 100x zoom.
    I suspect that the 50x zoom will be just as blurry as 100x times zoom, but will be HALF the distance.....granted the stability of the phone should be fantastic, especially on the Ultra.
    The base model note 20 is a complete joke, especially given it's shitty specs and 990 exynos.

10. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Ehhg, Australia getting exynos 990 again(same as s20), USA and Korea get SD865+.

In theory I have a $99 upgrade path so for me its a no brainer, but I wouldn't pay to upgrade from the s10 line unless you want the bigger screen on the 6.9in ultra...

Upgrades over s20...

1...Corning glass 7.
    2...19.3:9 AR if you prefer this dimension.

3...12 ram/256 gig base.

4...Could easily have the best overall camera experience on the market, but regardless will have 5x optical and a better HW engineered and compliant 50x "digital" zoom.

5...note ultra will be beautiful again and will probably look better than note 10 due to curved screen.

6....$100 cheaper than s20 ultra.

Fwiw, I consider my s10 to be epic and incredibly stable, ie, this is the first smart device that I haven't had to factory reset, so stability on note ultra should be as good or better and exynos 990 is a known quantity.

11. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

So note 20 non ultra model will supposedly be 6.7in but a silly 20:9, presumably the same as the s20+.

No SD card slot, but base SSD is 256g, and can be optioned to 512g.

Unpacked is August 5th, with for sale date of August 21.

Samsung are defo trying their best to get people to bypass the note 20 and perhaps buy another brand.

Also, note 20 ultras s pen is 9ms latency which people consider a 1:1 relationship between input and screen draw, however as nearly every spec seems to be downgraded on the lesser note 20, its s pen latency is 26ms, which will come with some degree of lag.

FFS, I suspect note owners are the last people to care about price, so why not spec the note20 identical to ultra except screen size, battery and maybe camera if it won't fit on a 6.7in.

I'd take the older s20 ultra over the note 20 any day, but to be sure the s20 ultra could easily be the best phone ever made.

12. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

It is rather disappointing news.
    It looks like Samsung trying to push the Ultra instead.
    But the price will be a killer.

13. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Another option for note fans is waiting till December for the S20 Fan Edition, as this is supposed to have the 6.7in screen and SD865+ in all markets.
    I won't wait for it, but it might end up being a very good phone, though this depends on the camera.
    There's not enough info out atm, and I don't expect much more till well after the release of the note20 line up.

14. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Is it possible the exynos 990 will be heavily optimized?

15. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

16. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

Too be honest I am bit skeptical about this.
    If it is a fully optimized unit with increased performance, they should just rename it to a higher number.
    Why stick to the undesirable chip number Exy990 which is known to be behind the SD865. It just makes no sense.
    Anyway will have to wait until the announcement next week and then for reviews.

17. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I am as well, but we'll know in a few days.
    One thing that might help is if they use the new 3.1 as it's about 2.5x faster than the s20s 3.0, so if the CPU is slower, file transfer etc should easily be faster.
    Anyway, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a SD865+, but what I really want is a great phone, and there's every reason to believe the Note 20 Ultra will be the overall king of phones.

I think the Ultra also comes with a stainless steel frame, whereas the now fully ridiculous standard note 20 might have a mix of aluminium and plastic FFS.

For anyone who doesn't have a Samsung supamoled screen, get ready to be blown away by a 6.9in monster hahahahha, heck my 6.7 is incredible making 480p look HD.
    My phone is 198grams, and I'm used to it, so as long as Ultra isn't much heavier it should be fine as well.

The strength of the Ultra should be epic as well, Glass 7 plus S Steel, though it is boxy, so a case is a very good idea, but samsung will provide both a screen protector and clear case in the box, but I think a armadillo with TV kickstand will be awesome given the screen size.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Simples, wait for release and then within a day the reviews :thumbup:

19. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Sounds like the exynos 990 has the same performance as the s20 ultras 990.

20. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

So then it wasn't really improved upon...

Kookooburra likes this.