Samsung Galaxy Note 20 August

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Kookooburra, Apr 29, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I'll try and do some more video if that's what people want.

The price is crazy, and this is why you need to be sure you need it, imo, unless you really want the s pen and screen size, there's probably better deals out there.

To be sure this is a premium phone, and finger print recognition is unbelievable, ie, no misses after 50+ attempts.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    MR CHILLED likes this.
  2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Mine is maybe 50% hit rate... Do you have the screen protector on still that it came with?

3. booboo

booboo Member

Finger print reader worked really well for me, did multiple fingers and angles setting it up with the standard screen protector. face recognition also works well.

4. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Yes, ...maybe because the s10 wasn't as good i got used to aiming my finger more precisely.

You know you can do a quick double tap and this will light up the sensor area...

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

My s9 will be successful at the same rate. Almost feels like I hardly even go near the sensor and it succeeds. It's something they do pretty well.

Kookooburra likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I thought the s10 was good but required careful positioning, anyway ole mate sal calls this the best phone of 2020, for which I agree, but the price means people have to be sure why they're buying.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Gorgeous looking phone, should be illegal to put a case on it :p

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Kookooburra likes this.
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What case are you going with? I decided to grab an Ultra yesterday, pretty decent price too hard to refuse :D

I'm tending towards one of the LED cases at OW: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...20-ultra-smart-clear-view-cover-black-sam2001

9. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I got the Samsung rugged looking one with the two kick stands. I'm really impressed with it so far, barely adds
    Any bulk past the camera bump and only $54.

I am considering pulling off the OEM screen protector. I turned on the extra touch screen sensitivity setting and it helped a little.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

$54 isn't too bad. Yeah I want something that sits just about a little above flush on the camera area because it's quite large it will need to be protected in some way. I'm guessing they now have camera scree protectors now :p

Not worried about scratching the new screen?

I checked out the rugged, assume it's this one here you have:

11. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

12. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I have seen camera protectors but not a fan of putting shitty stuff in front of lenses.The case I have protrudes past the bump by a mm or so.

Nope never had a screen protector on any other phones. Do Samsung screens tend to scratch a lot?
    Yep that's the case I have.

13. booboo

booboo Member

My s8 which is 3.5 years old i used a screen protector st first, then nothing and has 0 marks. note20 ultra i put the edge of a metal drink bottle on and left a bubble in the stock protector. no marks on the screen

holdennutta likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I just bought the oxilar armadillo dual layer with kickstand for $24 delivered.

Wrt screen protector....its up to you, if its in a case its probably safe, but whilst the phones new, the thin film across the screen is very hard to notice and until it eventually develops air bubbles or scratches, you may as well leave it on.

I've yet to drop my note, so I think the larger form factor fits more snuggly in my hand.

This time round I get to keep the phone after 24 months, and it'll probably still be worth a few bob in 2yrs, especially if it's in virtually new condition.

That said, telstra still allow you to hand the phone in and pay $99 for any phone they stock.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't think the gorilla glass is all it's cracked up to be, pardon the pun. I had one once that chipped and I had no idea how that happened. Had small scratches happen before also. I don't think they are overly strong tbh.

16. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Given the cost of flagships these days, telstra is quite accommodating wrt changeover, ie, for phones in good working order its either $99 or free, but if the phone is damaged, the handover cost goes up and up.

Imo, a beyond good working order ultra should be at least $500 after 2yrs, especially given its 5G, so that helps take the edge off the initial cost.

I achieved this quality with my S105G, so I see no reason not to achieve it with the stronger note20.

Even on the standard note 20, Samsung have ripped scores of features despite its $1500aud price, so imagine the downgrades on a a51/a71......you'd be lucky to get $75 for a 2 yr old budget phone.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

18. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

The case is a few mms higher, so between GG7 and the elevated case it should be okay.

19. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

So how do I get it to play notification sounds through Bluetooth when playing podcasts? Pocketcasts pauses the playback but it's just silence and no notification sound plays.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm trying to convince myself not to use a full case cover, I never like to hide a nice looking phone. But without a full cover which there's always the risk of it dropping onto something that isn't necessarily flat ground.