Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SD805 2.7GHz\1440p - Galaxy Note Edge

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by 2SHY, Sep 4, 2014.

1. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Wife is having all kinds of issues with Lollipop after the update. Hopefully a fix is in order soon as she's getting real tired of constant freezes etc.

2. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Try restarting every other day. If the problem persists, backup and perform a factory reset.

3. mils1

mils1 Member

Telstra's Lollipop for the Note 4 just arrived. My phone is downloading it atm.

4. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Feel the heat :)

5. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Bit annoying my Wife's Vodafone one got it last week, I'm downloading it now.

6. mils1

mils1 Member

It looks like the firmware build is new compared with others, have not had a single issue & didn't do a factory reset. Phone is very snappy now.

7. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Well Optus Lollipop Update finally arrived, last night. 18th June 2015. Didnt take them long at all lol

I have to say, first time using Lollipop 5.02 and wow, its made it a new phone, the snappyness, the awesome notification panel.

I tried giving touchwiz another go.. Nahh, still hate it, went back to Nova launcher..

But yeah, love the update, really feels much better.

8. xplod140

xplod140 Member

Jeeze I'm glad I didn't wait for my Note3 to be updated by Optus. Probably never happen...

9. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

I am sticking with KitKat until 5.1.1 is ready. Shouldn't be too long; I came across 5.1 bench scores for Note 4 last month before they were taken off.

Even 5.1.1 doesn't address the problem where the mobile radio stays in high power state way longer than necessary, resulting in an increased battery drain. No big deal as the battery drain goes away when using Wi-Fi.

My experience of transitions to 64-bit OSs hadn't been all that great. 64-bit XP/Vista, Solaris 7, iOS 8, and now Lollipop. :sick:

10. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

I'm bored at work and decided to check and see if my phone has any updates. Was surprised to FINALLY see it pop up and tell me Lollipop is ready.

Looks like Telstra have finally rolled out Lollipop for the Note Edge. It happened either yesterday or today as I last checked on 9/07 and it had nothing then.

Currently downloading the update. I hope I don't regret this! That said I already am as it's taking AAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEEESSSSS to download. reckons it's gonna take 3hrs at this rate. Bleh! After it's updated will it force my phone to factory reset as I have a bunch of authenticators associated with the phone that I don't wanna lose

11. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

Dunno if it's just my phone or the note edge but I've noticed two annoying things. 1) you now cannot change sms vibration alert -_- (os limitation not phone)

2) when I close my case my screen should turn off and display edge clock for a moment. It still does this BUT if I close my case in the messaging app the main screen stays on constantly. If I press the power button it turns off but when I close the case even if the screen is already off the main screen lights up again... Stupid! If anything causes the edge screen to come on while I have messaging app open on goes the main screen. What an annoying as hell bug!

12. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Lollipop 5.1.1

Lollipop 5.1.1 is almost here! Apparently, deployment from 2 Oct.

It won't be 64-bit Lollipop, but finally an update that I would consider upgrading to from 4.4.4, which has been the most stable for Note 4.

13. taffer

taffer Member

Does anyone with 5.1.1 use Android Wear? Does it still work fine the new upgrade?

14. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Although I loathe Lollipop's active radio bug that can drain battery like crazy, Samsung's delivery of 5.1.1 and Stagefright fixes are quite satisfactory. No more KitKat for me.

Stick with KitKat if you wish to keep using a Gear VR.

15. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Yes. Interestingly, there was a Google Play services update for Android Wear.

Day 8 since 5.1.1 update
    This update transformed my Note 4 (Aussie SM-N910G)! It now feels like a fast flagship phone. :)
    SoT is roughly 30 minutes less than good ol' KitKat, but no biggie as I carry a spare battery and a portable charger.

Sorry for those who sold their Note 4 after shitty Lollipop 5.0.x update, which, imho, was a big mess-up by both Google and Samsung.

16. Julz

Julz Member

Agree with the comments above. Runs much better and I'm not scared to use the multitasking switcher anymore as I used to avoid it at all costs due to the massive amount of lag.

17. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Put CM12.1 on my Note 4 which I grabbed this week. Works great so far, can't complain. It's a beast :thumbup:

18. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

New OTA update has been out for about a week. October build #3. Apparently, security enhancements, efficient memory management, improved stability, and overall device performance increase.

I haven't noticed any performance boost, but Stagefright Detector cannot find any more vulnerability.

Came across this interesting video:

I didn't know at least two dozen things I could do with this phone.

19. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Anyone with a note edge + samsung case notice that the upgrade broke the functionality of the case (auto on/off etc).
    I have had nothing but issues since upgrading to the latest OTA update (retail phone from samsung website).
    The edge screen no longer works when the case is closed and the phone has become really buggy and crashes/randomly locks/wont unlock.

Trying to get Samsung to do something about it is like pulling teeth.

The guy at the store told me I would need to leave it with them for 48 hours and be without a phone (because they don't do loaner phones).

20. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

I owned an Edge briefly. In spite of being a more expensive ($1249) handset, it felt like an experimental Note 4 in beta. I exchanged it for Note 4 within a week of purchase. Deliberately upgrading to Lollipop (5.0.1), speeding up memory leak, and turning off Wi-Fi to worsen the effects of active radio bug certainly facilitated the exchange. ;)

If my observations are anything to go by, Samsung phones work well with the original firmware. The first major update will come along and make a mess. Subsequent updates may fix some of the mess, but usually just skip to the next iteration of Android. For this reason, I stayed with KitKat as long as I could before jumping to 5.1.1, which has been good and stable so far for Note 4.

Anyway, have you ever taken off the case after the update? Try taking off, turn on, turn off, put on the case, turn on and check settings. That's what I did with my Note 4 when it didn't know it had a S View cover on after 5.1.1 update.

If you haven't factory-reset after 5.0.1 and/or 5.1.1 updates, you must consider backing up stuff that aren't on your microSD and resetting your phone. Both were huge updates, introducing a massive number of changes. Wipe cache partition, too.

If the problems persist, go back to KitKat.