Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SD805 2.7GHz\1440p - Galaxy Note Edge

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by 2SHY, Sep 4, 2014.

1. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Yeah, I have tried a number of different case off/reboot/case on etc combinations.
    It is actually at a point where I have to keep a small piece of paper in the case blocking the contacts because the phone will freak out and no matter what I do it thinks the case is always closed and the only thing that works is the edge screen.

Factory reset the phone, problem persists.
    Have not thought about wiping cache, is that even an option on a non rooted phone?

I would love to go back, but without rooting the phone is that even a possibility? Can't root/run custom firmware since the phone is used for work.

2. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

No need to root, but being able to use a search engine helps. ;)

Here:

Wiping cache partition

Going back to KitKat

The only tricky and time-consuming part will be finding and downloading the stock KitKat firmware for your handset.

3. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Just installed update. Feels abit snappier. Hopefully this might fix my battery issues.

4. CrazyNuts

CrazyNuts Member

Anyone using the Telstra Note 4 and done the update yesterday? What are your thoughts?

I'm getting a bit annoyed at the random resets and regular facebook crashes etc.

Not sure if it's my phone, if it is I have no way of proving it for warranty purposes anyway.

5. Julz

Julz Member

I haven't had any issues so far - my battery is already borked and I've also uninstalled Facebook due to the battery drain.

Has anyone had their Samsung fast charge wall charger die? I just went to use mine after not using it for probably 3 weeks and it doesn't work anymore! :( It was plugged in so I'm wondering if a power surge or something killed it?

6. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Missus and I haven't experienced any issue post-5.1.1 with our Note 4s. Having said that, we no longer use Android Facebook app; instead we use the mobile site with Chrome (with notification on, of course). Facebook app has to be the worst built-in app for Note 4.

When was the last time you did factory reset? There were some big updates prior to the last two security updates. If you haven't done after 5.1.1, do a backup and try a factory reset. I went from 4.4.4 to 5.1.1, and the factory reset made the phone even more responsive.

7. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Using the OEM or decent cable? If using a generic el cheapo rubbish, it might not charge superfast because it could struggle with modest 2A current.

Mine failed after only 4 months of daily use even though it was plugged into an expensive double conversion sine wave UPS. When they fail, they fail. OEM chargers are generally better than Belkin and generic shit, but they are still cheaply made.

8. Julz

Julz Member

Hrmm bummer - was using the original Samsung USB cable with it. I guess the charger is going in the bin.

9. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, Im looking for an upgrade from my Note 2 but I have seen a few Note 4's with images burnt into the screen, is that a common problem with this screen?

Thanks

:)

10. C4Z4M

C4Z4M Member

I would say no more than any other oled screen. Much better than my sgs4

If you have any static hud/gui items on the screen for hours a day you will eventually notice then some times when on a white or light coloured screen with no pattern.

I have been playing ingress a lot, maybe over 1000hrs over the last 12months mostly at Max brightness and I am only just now noticing some HUD items. Most of the time you can't see it.

11. Julz

Julz Member

I havent noticed anything at all. How would I check?

12. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

On a bright plain screen look for faint images still visible.

:thumbup:

13. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Phone>enter *#7353#>TSP Dot Mode

Phone>enter *#0*#>Blue

and have a good look.

Had Marshmallow on my Korean Exynos Note 4 for over two weeks, and much prefer 5.1.1 with Stagefright/misc. fixes updates. I have turned off Auto update on my Aussie Snapdragon Note 4. Another meh update from Samsung.

14. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

It appears to me Marshmallow update for 810G is pretty buggy. If you haven't rooted your Aussie Note 4, stick with 4.4.4 or 5.1.1 with Stagefright fixes.

I am beginning to think we should just avoid the final OS update for Note-series. Jelly Bean for the original Note, KitKat for Note 2, and Lollipop 5.0 for Note 3 were all very disappointing.

15. aL4n

aL4n Member

Gave MM a try, rolled back to Kitkat in the end

16. dukkie

dukkie Member

Hey guys,
    My battery on my Note 4 is starting to crap itself, where is the best place to get genuine batteries? Unfortunately Samsung don't have any stock online.

17. aL4n

aL4n Member

Same issue with my battery, bought one off ebay but got a refund after couple days. The phone was randomly shutting down and would reboot. Let us know where if you find a "genuine" one.

18. Julz

Julz Member

I bought a supposedly 100% genuine one from ebay and turned out to be fake. I left a negative feedback and demanded a refund. The f#($er threatened me personally telling me he knew where I lived. Reported to eBay and they did nothing.

19. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

If you are having a lot of difficulty buying genuine batteries, let me know. It's $28 each in South Korea.

Best to turn off fast charging unless you really need it because of time constraint. My original battery caused power downs at around 20%. After 20 odd slow charging cycles, it stopped doing that and doesn't turn off even at 5%. My two newer batteries that were never fast-charged saw only a minimal drop (guesstimate of 5%) in charge over 120 cycles (roughly a year). My guess is that fast charging generates a lot of heat, which can't be too good for Li batteries, and accelerates battery degradation.

20. aL4n

aL4n Member

I'm experiencing the issue of ~20% power down, so you saying I can fix this issue if I turn off fast charging?