Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SD805 2.7GHz\1440p - Galaxy Note Edge

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by 2SHY, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

I haven't plugged my phone to a charger for over a year as I use a Samsung battery charger (EP-BN910CWK), but my wife, who is too lazy to swap batteries, managed to gradually fix our original batteries by turning off fast charging and using a 1.8A LG charger.

Our Samsung chargers were faulty within 6 months. One failed to maintain voltage when charging and the other suddenly stopped working. Both were good initially (I load-test my chargers), but charging 4 batteries, wife's Note 4, bicycle lights, and three portable battery chargers 24/7 drastically shortened their service lives.

2. jamieyn

jamieyn Member

I've bought one from mobicity au via ebay. Seems to be genuine (vs a non-genuine battery that discharged really quickly)

3. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

A genuine Samsung battery comes with a translucent plastic carry case, has built-in NFC, a serial number and a QR code printed in silver, cells made in Japan/Korea and assembled in Vietnam.

4. shizmo

shizmo Member

Is it an actual thing that phone manufacturers, in this case Samsung + Note 4 will purposefully release updates on older models to help stimulate users into upgrading to newer models?

Honestly my Note 4 has become a joke... I have factory reset, tried a bunch of random crappy apps to find the issue. But the slowlness (When I say slow I mean almost feels like its crashing) seems to be all to do with the actual OS related tasks...

Anything to do with the Camera = gg
    Anything to do with Gallery = gg
    Anything trying to use pen to cut and paste and share = gg
    Trying to share anything to anything, such as links or images or files to another app = gg

By GG I mean a 10 second wait is a good result... I like to think its a failed conspiracy theory but it always seems to hit around the new model release dates.

5. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Originial 4.4.4 and 5.1.1 w/Stragefright fixes are what you would want to have on your Note 4 if you wish to remain stock for banking and what not. Early Lollipop (5.0.x) and Marshmallow ROMs are rubbish imho.

Note 4 has been the most popular secondhand smartphone in South Korea for quite some time. And for good reasons. It's a great phone with IR blaster, expandable storage, and replaceable batteries. Don't ruin it with dodgy firmwares.

Note 2 used to last 2 days on early ROMs. With KitKat (last update for Note 2), it barely lasted a day even with a brand new battery. It's the same with iPhones and iPads. iPhone 4S was great on iOS 6, but on later updates, it gradually turned into a slow piece of shit.

So, take your time with updates. Let others be beta testers for you before upgrading firmwares. ;)

6. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Hey guys, have had the option to update the software on my phone for a while now. Is this not a good idea? Seeing a bit of negativity on this thread about MM...:Paranoid:

7. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Believe it or not, Samsung has been pushing out updates every quarter this year. :shock:

The latest firmware, which includes Google's October Android security update and Samsung's bug fixes, has been stable for nearly 3 weeks, and the battery drain has been acceptable, too. :thumbup:

This time, I won't go back to Lollipop 5.1.1, which is still the most stable stock ROM for Note 4 imho.

8. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Upgrade went ok. Though I'm finding the phone more laggy now. Especially in the messaging app. It lags up quite bad when I hit send on the message. Anyone else getting this?

9. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

I normally make a backup and do a factory reset after a major Android update.
    With all Android phones.

In my experience, it almost always improved snappiness. The only recent exception was early versions of Lollipop, thanks to memory leak.

10. rbdirty

rbdirty Member

So for some strange reason I am unable to connect my phone to my PC to download files from the SD card.

Only started having this issue about 1 week ago, up to that point it's been perfectly fine.

No problems with other devices ( Samsung Tab, Galaxy phone)

Anyone else having this problem?

11. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Looks like I'm the first here with this.
    EMMC read fail.

Apparently ALL note4s will die eventually due to this.

The temporary solution is to disable sleep via wakelock app.
    The 2-3 year solution is to replace the flash memory.
    There are no other solutions I have found.

Be warned if you're considering buying one second hand or intending to keep this for a while longer.

Anyone know of a BGA repairer in Melbourne?

Failing that, anyone know a phone as good as the 4 with removable battery and SD card? I kinda like the heart rate thing and a few of the other features but they're not essential.

12. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Damn, I really like my Note 4.

:(

13. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Yeah. Sucks doesn't it.

Samsung really fucked the pooch lately.

So... LG v20 next?

14. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

That's a big claim.

What about those who have been sticking with 4.4.4 from the beginning?

Lollipop 5.0.x firmware was a big screw-up by both Google and Samsung, and Marshmallow firmware looked half cooked when released.

Looking at the vast majority who are yet to experience the problem, I will take my chances. Besides, Samsung service centres in Korea will replace the board for about $200, and it's a 20-minute job.

15. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Samsung fixed it.

26 months and 29 days since purchase!

They apparently have a 24 month warranty and an additional 3 months leeway.

If anyone here gets mmc read failure even once, have your receipt handy and take it back!