Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SD805 2.7GHz\1440p - Galaxy Note Edge

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by 2SHY, Sep 4, 2014.

1. dodgyr

dodgyr Member

Anyone having issues with the home button? It used to be a soft touch type button. Now it clicks when pushed.

2. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Yes ive noticed the same thing.. mine changed after my newborn spew a little over it..

3. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

Mines always had a slight click...

Well, I reckon that might cause some issues...

4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Ditto, mine's been clicky and stiff since day dot, irritating actually coming from softkeys

5. dodgyr

dodgyr Member

Mine has always been soft click. Just recently started clicking and it is annoying as hell!

6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

7. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

heard that 5.01 is being pushed to us aussies from today.

Just checked mine, nothing... :upset:

8. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Yeah apparently 5.0.1 is out for Edge 915G. I havent got an OTA (although i think i changed to a different country to update previously) but you can grab this stuff from sammobile and flash via odin anyway. OTA sucks!

9. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

just checked sammobile, no lollipop yet for the N910G

10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Just flashed it for the 915G. Cant say the UI looks all that different from 4.4.4 given Samsung sorta skinned that with a material design-ish feel.

No persistent notification icon for the Gear manager which is cool. I used root on my note 3 to surpress it but dont want to trip knox on this thing.

They moved the shutter button from the edge screen to the main screen which is kinda lame.

Feels pretty snappy, giving it a charge now and will see what battery life is like.

11. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

still nothing on the 910G :thumbdn::upset:

12. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I'm almost tempted to wish for nothing until a 5.1 update lol seems like going to 5.01 is mostly cosmetic. 4.4 pretty much flawless, bloat/touchwiz aside

13. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

Replaced my note 4 for a ip6 plus have not regretted it since .

14. dodgyr

dodgyr Member

Why did you replace it? What issues were you experiencing? How did the ip6 fix the issues?
    I just sent my edge back. looking for options as the camera and clicky button issues are annoying me.

15. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

Just overal package, it just wasn't well prepared.

In fact I felt the phone as put together in a hurry and was not well executed.

A few things to complain about :

* The screen chews so much juice ( I know its a very high res screen but I would prefer better battery life over this).
    * Battery life was pretty poor even in power and ultra power saving mode, Would be lucky to even make it with 15 hours life in Power saving mode.
    * Android OS was buggy and had regular app crashes (I've used and owned a note 3 prior to this and never had this much issues)
    * firmware and software updates are very slow with Samsung.
    * Camera even though had a higher MP rating I found was still lacking compared to the IP6.
    * Camera makes the stupid shutter noise which I have yet to find a way to turn off.
    * the buttons on the front are too sensitive and would easily touch them especially if you are holding the phone sideways for games or watching videos.
    * Finger print scanner is so crap, I sometimes have to swipe 10 times just so it can read. On the IP6 + I just place my finger on it and it reads instantly.
    * Volume for phone calls is really soft, even at highest volume I sometimes could not hear clearly.
    * Loud Speaker on the back is the dumbest idea ever especially if your hand blocks it when you hold the phone like normal people do.
    * Bloatware, oh god, I don't even use any of it.

TBH I probably won't buy another Samsung again if I went back to Android, will be either a HTC or LG.

The After sales Samsung support is horrible too, as my USB cable failed I had to get it sent back for repairs even though the store rep knew it was faulty for further testing before I could get another replacement. Well WTF am I supposed to charge it with??!?!

2ndly when I reported the battery issue with my phone they said I had to send it in again and that I would be without a phone while this happens (well that doesnt help me if I need it for work). And the fact that the sales rep even mentioned that is an issue with the battery (We flashed the phone firmware again, did not help) I still could not get a replacement on the spot.

Now bare in mind I have to travel all the way to the city for the only Samsung store to drop it off (There is an authorised rep in Granville that does not open on weekends, well isn't that convenient).

Now with the IP6 +, how did this help resolve the issues? It just haven't had any of these issues to date.

And I have owned an IP 4, 4S and 5 and have had great after sales support and service for them.

Yes Iphones can be expensive, less specs to its rivals, but its a balanced package that just works and feels great.

The Note 4 can have Quad core CPU, 3 gigs of ram and a kick ass high res screen, but its all crap if the OS does not make it run smoothly.

And one more thing the IP6 + also feels nicer and lighter to hold compared to the note 4.

Anyways thats my 2 cents, or rant LOL.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  16. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

ROLF! It's a USB cable, it cost $5/meter or less. If it doesn't work you buy another one for $5....:rolleyes: .

17. Qtr_Mile_Stud

Qtr_Mile_Stud Member

Umm no it's a specific fast charge USB cable that costs 30-40 bucks from Samsung

Go and back your comments up before you roll your eyes

And it's not the amount it's the principal that a cable failed after a couple of months which they tested and confirmed as faulty in store and could of given me a new one but still had to send it in for repair and not give me a replacement

18. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

I have had exactly 2 app crashes since I got the phone early January...

What are you doing to chew through battery so quick? I'm listening to music through spotify (so data), messaging, facebook and the occasional game, and after 15 hours I generally have around 30-40%, without any battery saving turned on

Firmware/Software has never been quick with Samsung. That's not going to change with the note 4...

Shutter noises were illegal not to have in Australia a few years ago, which was why it was implemented... Not sure if its changed, but I never understood why Android devices were required to have it on, but apple devices somehow got the choice...

I've never had an issue with the volume in calls... Depending on who I'm talking to half the time I actually have to turn it down...

Ive also never seen someone hold a note in a way that blocks the speaker. Most people I've seen tend to use fingers to hold it, not the palm of their hand.

Bloatware. Again. Samsung. Not going to change with the note...

To be totally honest, sounds like you like your iPhone, and are picking the best parts of it to compare. Of course its going to be better in some ways. Just as the Note is going to be better in others.

Nope, definitely standard usb cable. Specific fast charge adapter yes. Cable, no. I'm using a 3M generic from ebay with exactly the same result as the genuine cable. Also, even you grab a cheap generic adapter and cable, it will still work. Just not as quickly

On another note, its particularly depressing seeing all the info come out for 5.1, and sitting here waiting for 5.0...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  19. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

the cable is a standard usb cable, i can confirm that (i own note 4).

the power adapter, yes, it's different than a normal one.

20. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

You'll be surprised; Lollipop on the note edge is awesome and I suspect it will be similar for the note 4. Graphically not hugely different given samsung skinned 4.4 with a material design look, but definitely notice the performance difference from the changes under the hood.

Not sure what people mean by bloatware, apart from samsung wanting to have their own app store. The pen features are obviously cooked into android because that's the devices raison d'etre, it's somewhat unavoidable. Im stuck with touchwiz for the edge (for now until other launchers figure it out) but it's actually the first samsung device where I've been perfectly happy using it.

Lol samsung sent out a bunch of faulty usb3 cables with the note 3 as well, perhaps cabling not their strong point :lol:

By far samsung's biggest crime is knox and its irreversible tripping with custom recovery/kernerls.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015