Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by 2SHY, Aug 14, 2015.

1. 2SHY

2SHY Member

- Exynos 7420 CPU 4 x 2.1 GHz and 4x 1.5 GHz
    - 5.7" AMOLED Quad HD Display
    - 3000mAH battery
    - 4GB Ram
    - Pop-out S pen.
    - 16MP Rear Camera / 5MP Front Camera
    - No Micro SD Storage - 32/64GB Storage
    - No removable battery - 3000mAH

Hands on with the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+

2. mr626

mr626 Member

Massive fail, IMO. The note is meant to be a flagship device, where's the 128GB model? Might have been forgiveable if storage was expandable.

3. TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

I'm liking the idea of better performance out of the S Pen. Great for drawing on.

Any idea on Aust release date? All I can find is "soon". This really annoys me when they don't even tell us when it is coming.

4. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Don't forget no IR blaster, on both the Note 5 and the S6 Edge+.

My predictions for the Note 5 a while back:

No SD card means I have to get 64GB model, and judging by the S6 Edge pricing, the Note 5 64GB will be $1000+. Lack of IR blaster is a loss, but counting the number of times I use it, I can live without it. Biggest question is battery life, since they've reduced the battery capacity compared to the Note 4.

The G4 looks like the better choice it terms of features, and I don't mind the S808 being a little slower, but the battery life seems to be a big letdown. Seems like this year no manufacturer can make a perfect phone with full set of features. The last phone that actually met all my criteria were the Note 3 and 4, and I'm using the Note 3 right now.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  5. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

I ruined my note4 by upgrading to lollipop.. fark i knew i shoildnt have done it. No sd card on this means its a no go. Dont understand why they wouldn't put one in. It's a major reason why some would buy it. Ive owned all notes.

6. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

3000mAH battery? Massive fail there...

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I also ruined my note4 :(

I did improve it a lot by doing a factory reset after upgrading, but I still find it so laggy, more like a cheap Android phone when I press gallery it takes 5 seconds to get into it for example.

I get a free new phone in november and assumed it was going to be the note 5. now I hope something else comes out.

8. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Root it, flash CM12.1, and be amazed how your phone feels like new again.

9. thecondor

thecondor Member

Can you use CM12 on these exynos(or whatever they are called) chips? I thought there was issues with the s6 because of this....I may be wrong.

10. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Only the SM-N910C variety of the Note 4 had a Exynos SOC, the other versions had Snapdragons so there are some decent AOSP/CM roms for those.

11. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Exactly the same situation, although I have the N4 Edge, so no cyanogenmod :upset:

Have loved the Note series since forever, probably checking out after this one.

12. sanjay

sanjay Member

don't worry, the LG G4 Pro will come in to save all the disappointed Samsung fanbois :)

so glad I jumped off the Samsung bandwagon after the Galaxy S3

13. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

No sd slot on note5.....madness.
    That said, i assume it'll have usb otg, so not the end of the world.

14. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

This is completely fucked up. Here in Hong Kong they are selling only the Note 5 in 32GB, while the S6 Edge+ has 32 and 64GB. So if you want 64GB all you get is the Edge+. That's a sure way to drive away customers.

Hope that doesn't happen to you guys in Aus. They screwed us over with the S6 as well, with the non edge version in 32GB only. Samsung just lost a customer completely....

15. yellows2k

yellows2k Member

isnt the arguement that u can store a lot of stuff using cloud storage, hence no need for internal storage? im not an expert, i dont even use much of the internal storage of my phones

16. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

That's what Samsung and your telco wants you to do. But that consumes data every time I want to access the files. What if I'm overseas and don't want to use roaming and not always on WiFi? What if my data plan only has 1-2GB? What if I use don't want to use cloud because I want security.

What I'm mad about is that Samsung didn't even give us an option for a 64GB Note 5, well at least here in Hong Kong. Apple has 64 and 128GB option if you're willing to pay and other phone manufacturers give you an SD card slot...

17. OP
    OP
    2SHY

2SHY Member

Apparently, they added a 128gb option just recently. But may not be available on all variants and markets that sell the Galaxy S6+ / Galaxy Note 5

18. yellows2k

yellows2k Member

u make good points, as i said, i dont use any cloud storage, and i dont even fill up my note 4, or even my previous note 2 with much stuff. in fact, i make it a habit of deleting mssages and photos all the time. i hate clutter

19. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Probably a perfectly valid argument in markets where mobile data isn't a luxury item. At $10/GB im not rushing to integrate too heavily with the cloud.

20. TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

Looks like we will find out when it is due here on Tuesday.
    http://ausdroid.net/2015/08/14/samsung-galaxy-note-5-and-s6-edge-australian-availability/#