1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by 2SHY, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Seems like there's no 64GB either for the time being, unless you import. Now that's even more of a joke.

Australia misses out on 64Gb Galaxy Note 5, some colours

Also, the 32GB has almost 7GB used by the OS, so theoretically you're only getting 25GB or so available memory.

2. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Had a Note 3 and now a Note 4, with a Telstra plan paid off....

Wanted to keep going with Note phones, but can not see any point at all to upgrade.

If it was a Note 5 with 128gb, SD and bigger battery, I'd be signing up immediately....

Stick a handful of games on a Note and the storage is gone immediately, most don't like moving to the Micro SD.

Almost wondering if the cheap dodgy brand phones are a viable switch down the track (IF my Note 4 dies on me). $1100 outright if I went that path is rediculous. Quite like my $70 unlimited with 6gb on Telstra atm. Paying in excess of $100 a month again for a shitter phone doesn't sound like a great idea....

Given I always have the phone in a cover a 'premium' build really doesn't mean sweet FA when I can't see or touch it.

3. donigan

donigan Member

4. claf-43

claf-43 Member

So $35 a month extra to get a new phone with the same plan I'm on.....

Yeah nah.

5. thecondor

thecondor Member

6. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

My wife recently upgraded her Note 3 to an S6 128GB.
    She hates it because of the screen size.

I said I would take her S6 when the Note 5 came out but there is no way she would be happy with 32GB. A bunch of app/games for the kids/photos and you are constantly managing storage space. Not a problem I need to have just because the 64/128GB variants are available.

7. eastley

eastley Member

Battery life is good going by all tests that have surfaced the last few days.

Pity Samsung won't get my money as they're not releasing a 64GB or even 128GB version through Telco's..

So wanted this phone.

8. thecondor

thecondor Member

Im still going to get one and try it out. Im disappointed about the lack of sd card or even a 64gb model through Telstra.

9. eastley

eastley Member

SD is no worries for me, it makes the device sluggish and what not, rather the system they have now, as long as they provide the larger memory size versions, which they haven't.

I have to get mine through Telstra, it is a work supplied phone. I can choose which ever phone I want, so unless they change their minds and bring out bigger versions, I won't be getting one.

10. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Looks like there could be a "Total Recall" on the cards if this is anything to go by..

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...n-accessory-can-break-new-phone-10470817.html

Using an accessory included with the brand new Galaxy Note 5 can entirely break the phone, according to reports.

Putting the S Pen stylus the wrong way into the slot that holds it can break the phone, according to a report by Android Police. The easy mistake can break the mechanism that detects whether the pen has been taken out, or leave it to get stuck entirely.

The pen’s slot is meant to hold the stylus — which can be used for drawing and writing on the phone’s screen — when it’s not in use. On previous versions of the phone the pen can only go in one way, since the two wouldn’t slot together the other way around.

Tech blog Ars Technica said that it couldn’t “see any way Samsung can sell the Galaxy Note 5 like this”, in its post. “The company may need to either recall the Note 5 or issue a redesigned S-Pen,” the site said.

Might go look at the LGG4 tomorrow.

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Response from Samsung? RTFM.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/25/9206509/samsung-galaxy-note-5-s-pen-issue-response

12. Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

Had a note 3 absolutely loved it. Got a note 4 now love it. TBH am a bit disappointed with the spec of the note 5. I wanted a bigger upgrade. I think like many others I will stick with the 4.and see what else turns up. I am a phablet devotee however. I used my old S4 which is now a hand me down and it was like stepping back in time. The 5.7 seems to be the perfect size for me. I couldn't ever see myself going smaller.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  13. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Same here.

The battery life seems to be good, but not better than the Note 4, and probably far away from the batter life with the originally rumored 5000 mAh battery.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/7...-and-how-it-compares-to-other-smartphones.htm

I was also very much looking forward to the Note 5, but now I cannot find anything really compelling.

14. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Can u copy and paste with the pen?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  15. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yeah u can.

Ill go pick one up from Telstra in the morning.

Looking forward to trying it out actually.

16. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Fuck yeah....such a great feature especially as using fingers sux hard.

17. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Had a quick look at the Note 5 today at JB... meh!

It didn't have that "wow look at this" factor I was expecting... might wait to see what some of the competition bring out over the next few months ..like the LG G4 Pro ( rumored ) and the Xperia Z something or other...

18. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Bah, think of the class leading screen+s pen

19. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I have the Note 3 and have probably used the pen like 4 times to write the kids meal orders down..

20. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

You must have dexterous fingers:weirdo: