Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by 2SHY, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

You are allowed to keep electronic items in your bag when going through xray. They only specifically require laptops to be removed (dunno about tablets). I routinely leave phones and a gps in my bag to make it less hassle.

I really hope I don't get too much grief travelling with an s7 and occasionally an ativ s. All Samsung's look the same. :(

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. GrayFox

GrayFox Member

I don't understand how they can get it so wrong. Surely your main aim as producer of a main stream electronic device, which would be used daily by thousands, if not millions is to ensure it is safe and does not crash and burn. It's a real shame because it actually looked like a really good phone. I will be sticking with the Note4 for some time to come by the looks of it. It makes you wonder what sort of testing Samsung actually did before releasing it for public use :confused: :confused:

3. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

What is surprising is that Samsung make zillions of phones across hundreds of models and have industry leading quality/ reliability - then the note 7 happens. How?!

4. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Pretty incredible stuff. Never seen such a stuff-up in the smartphone game. Someone is getting fired for sure...

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Media all over it now.

"Samsung Galaxy Note 7 production permanently discontinued"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-...7-production-permanently-discontinued/7923988

How much this will hurt the brand is anyone's guess.

6. boneburner

boneburner Member

Oculus yesterday also released an update for GearVR headsets, so the Note 7 will not work with it. Probably wise, as having an exploding chemical fire mere centimeters from your eyes could be a mite problematic.

7. Danske

Danske Member

I really liked the look of the note, shame it ended up like this.

Geez how they are going to enforce this, might be hard to spot and check all look alikes.

(I mean they really should, no one wants Notes exploding on planes).

Agreed, the person that get's fired is going to get an explosive exit.

lol very VERY wise indeed.

8. GSX-R

GSX-R Member

This is quite frustrating. The Note 7 is the only phablet that was of interest to me. Now what the hell am I gonna go for? A friggen' iPhone 7 Plus? <pht000ey>

I still have my replaced Note 7 untouched, unused since a few weeks ago when the replacement arrived. I was going to transfer all my stuff from my now super sluggish and tired little S3 across to it this coming weekend.

I've looked high and low for an equal to or better phone than the Note 7, and there's not a single phone on the planet that rivals the features, design and to my tastes, appearance of the Note 7.

So sad they're discontinuing. Simply because the phone itself is so much better in my eyes to any other option planet-wide, I'd have been prepared to recall it multiple times or have a registered service centre replace the internal battery for a safer one once they finally start producing them.

Decisions decisions. I can't use a ticking timebomb so I'm forced to switch the phone up for something inferior.

This really sucks.

Edit: Can anyone recommend a phone that most closely matches the Note 7 with a "minimum" screen size of 5.7-inch? All the other bloody phones including Apple's stinken' iphone 7 plus (calling it "plus"? oh, the irony) are smaller at 5.5 or lower.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  9. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Pixel XL? :confused:

10. roxydog

roxydog Member

I'll be getting the Galaxy S7 Edge - only other choice would be LG V20 or Pixel XL

11. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Xiaomi Mi5s Plus is another choice. There's heaps of alternatives...

Install CM13 on it. Gave my old S3 (which I gave to one of my guys at work) a new lease of life. I occasionally use it and it's not bad to use at all now. Touchwiz is a dog.

12. shizmo

shizmo Member

GSX-R check out the Xiaomi mi note 2, it's the brands biggest release to date and is expected to come end of this month.

I am also coming from the Note series and annoyed that everything else seems like a downgrade...

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

My workmate who has been so p*ssed off with this whole thing said she will either go back to iPhone and grab the 7 or go with an S7 Edge.

14. Wink

Wink Member

Turn it off and on, boot splash screen will say Note 7

15. aokman

aokman Member

X-ray machines automatically identify known signatures (patterns) and highlight them / outline them. All Note 7's look the same internally, it is very easy to identify them by their X-ray signature.

and no the US are anal about this sort of stuff, I always have to remove all my camera gear / phones / electronics etc for carry on so they can be scanned separately.

I am pretty sure Samsung will push an update to disable all phones anyway sooner or later to stop stupid nubs from using dangerous handsets.

16. Carey

Carey Member

Or just settings/about phone.

Or, show them it doesn't have a hole for the s-pen?

17. Danske

Danske Member

That sounds extremely efficient and will not cause delays in security lines at all.

Also pretty sure this will happen.

18. GSX-R

GSX-R Member

Still inferior to the Note 7 in several respects and, at best, equal to in others. Not a single element of it superior. It also looks more boring and mundane on the surface.

But yes, sad to say it does look like it's the closest match.

These cheap chinese phones concern me that people are suggesting are an alternative - I want longetivity and reliability, neither of which you'd entrust with a chinese copycat handset.

I would also be concerned about the speed of performance degradation after say 6 months of heavy use on a cheaper chinese phone. I know speed degradation occurs with all Android-OS based phones (certainly at more rapid pace than iOS) but some phones take a dive much quicker than others that tend to hold their ground better for longer periods (super beefy CPUs and tons of RAM obviously are the biggest contributors with regard to this).

PLEEEASE come back with Note 8 Samsung - No one does it better than you guys.

19. GSX-R

GSX-R Member

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely do this once I've got my new (inferior :mad: )phone of choice and transferred everything off my S3 across to it.

If I can give it a new lease of life i'll use it for a second phone # / family, friends only phone in the future and the new phone for work.

20. shizmo

shizmo Member

Dude these 'cheap Chinese' replica's are not what you think these days...

Build quality is up there. i recommend don't be so naive and try put hands on the newer models in person you might be surprised.