Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by 2SHY, Jun 28, 2018.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

That's not encouraging because that S8 gen Exynos didn't have these issues relative to SD835 and 3300mah battery is still pretty big.... Maybe the Samsung software is still a bloated pig despite all the reviews saying it's heaps better now.

I've had to root and custom or debloat every Samsung I've ever had to make it acceptablly snappy / improve battery / stop the million and one samsung feature popups that nobody uses, but haven't owned a Sammy since S6 and all the S8/9 reviews talk about how much better it is these days. So I dunno.

I'm with-holding judgement until the devices are in peoples hands.

Anyhow the only way I can get it without paying the full 1.5k (pre-order bonuses aside) is via work and that will have to wait a few months so I might as well see how the Pixel 3 XL turns out. There's nothing wrong with my current phone aside from your usual battery degradation after ~18 months

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 5:36 PM
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What's the quality of the glass like on this one? Absolutely shit with the S8.

3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Prob no diff.. I always run protectors, scratches too easy.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So did I, up until I thought screens were pretty scratch resistant with "GORILLA!!!!". I have a chip in the glass of my S8....don't even know how the fuck it got there. All of a sudden one day it was there, I didn't even drop it. My gf's S8 was dropped once, with cover, screen cracks all through it.....lcd on the way out.....touch screen not working in parts. This is the weakest screen I have ever had in a phone. And I'm incredibly disappointed.

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

The whole bezel-less thing is stupid for those of us who value function over form. Its tougher, lets cases protect the edges, easier to apply glass screen protectors, and prevents ghost touches / distortion at the edge. And I bet its way cheaper to make, so cheaper phone / greater margin take your pick.

Even after a few minutes at the store, after getting over the initial ooh aah you can see the distortion straight away, and the cracked screen stories are everywhere. What's wrong with a small bezel? (not saying 2012 bezels but just a tiny one, enough to hold onto / case to wrap over).

I'm now firmly on the Pixel 3 train (non-XL).... toot toot! What could go wrong, its a SD845 on stock with no notch LOL.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 6:26 PM
  6. thecondor

thecondor Member

Didn’t images get realeased yesterday and the pixel 3 has a massive dirty fugly notch?!

7. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

XL yes non XL no. I'm talking about regular non XL
    As nice as it is to have a massive screen, the Note sized phones have a bad habit of falling out of my pocket / being uncomfortable when i sit

8. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Id have a pixel 2 if it didnt have a bezel from 2012 its nasty and wasted space (especially up top and bottom)

If the leaked Pixel 3 XL is accurate, its an improvement but the 'chin' is huge..

pixel.PNG

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 6:58 PM
  9. thecondor

thecondor Member

Ah okay, fair enough.

In regards to the note 9 its a nice looking phone, ill probably give it a go for a while.

10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yeah the gigantor notch is off-putting. I didn't find the essential or the X that bad but I think they went overboard, who knows why.

Trust me though once you get used to clean stock droid with iphone-level smoothness its hard to go back to any of samsung's bloated 'value-ads', esp. as you get more entrenched into the Googleplex (assistant etc.). I've never once used any of sammy's add-ons, though the last sammy device I had was an S6 maybe they've released a revolutionary S-something feature in the meantime LOL (not likely...)

The stock Pixel experience is so smooth and bug free there is actually zero incentive to root, its that good. In fact the only real incentive for me to upgrade (to anything) is battery life and general geek lust.

IF samsung started offering stock software (remember Google Play Edition phones?) I would defo give it a go, S9 Exy issues aside

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 7:05 PM
    walker_2003 likes this.
  11. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Dunno why youd want that yellow spen with a blue phone

So far im liking the look of some of the Chinese alternatives better, Honor Note 10 and Oppo Find X, i like their solution to the no notch + no top bezel problem

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 3:04 PM
  12. thecondor

thecondor Member

After you use these phone for a week you will sell and move back to iPhone/pixel/Samsung. The Chong versions look great on paper. But once you start using their god forsaken version of Android you will understand. Even the simplest of tasks seem mundane and the overall experience ensure you never own a Chong phone ever again. Take it from some that has used them.

13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

yeah they try to hard to be apple, its annoying.

thecondor likes this.
  14. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Ive never used one but sounds about right. Oppo is very popular where i was in Thailand but never got into a shop to fiddle around with one

thecondor likes this.
  15. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yeah my first ever experience with chong phones was the mate 9, looked great on paper, amazing hardware, great camera and specs to boot. Then I used it. First thing I noticed was every time the phone connected a call it would vibrate. Im like thats wierd, surely I can turn that off. Went into settings, couldnt find anything, looked up the web still no luck. So i thought fuck it ill ring Huawie and the customer service guy goes "ohhh thats a feature", im like yeah okay cool so I just want to turn it off, I make around 100 clls a day and its really annoying. He goes "sorry it cant be turned off".......And honestly that was the just the start, software was buggy as shit, message app sucked, email app is terrible. Even after a couple of days use the phone lagged. Was a disaster. So i returned. And funnily enough i read an article on news.com.au from a guy that used the latest P20 (or whatever the model was called) and he found the same thing with the software. It just does not work the way it should. Simple tasks just are not simple.

But hey im not denying that these chong phones have not come along way, they have but the software is still sub-par.

In other news I pre-ordered the note 9 512gb model. Currently using a iphone x.

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

what happened to note9 exclusivity for fortnite? A Mate is playing it on his S7

17. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yeah ended up that every andriod device can get it. I think the note 9 gets exclusive skins or some bs

walker_2003 likes this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm torn, I love having virtually no edges....the styling ia amazing, it's looks incredible. But I've had a few issues in terms of the glass and scratches on the edges due to grit getting in between the glass and the phone cover....so yeah I dunno if it's worth it.

19. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Those prices are insane for any device where it won't be the latest and greatest any longer within 6-12 months.
    I mean, if you can afford it go for it but hey I don't see the value proposition there... :)

Of course I encourage Note8 owners to upgrade and then sell me their Note8 at a ridiculously discounted number.

20. kbekus

kbekus Member

meh, the upgrade each year is so minor it seems pretty reasonable to keep a phone for 3 years or more if you're so inclined.... which helps take the sting out of the initial price. I've only ever upgraded every 3rd cycle.