Samsung Galaxy Note Dual Core 1.4ghz, 5.3" AMOLED

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Mattip, Sep 1, 2011.

1. bb7_rider

bb7_rider Member

And no ICS yet either... Can't decide between this and the HTC one XL... :Paranoid:

2. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Went for a wander down to the local Telstra store in Melbourne.

They have them on display and In Stock. Confirmed no 4G or ICS.

Their reason for the delay was that they thoroughly test the devices on the NextG network (and 4G network for 4G phones). Generally taking around 1 month if not a little longer.

3. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

ICS is coming, 99% certain. 4G, most likely not, unless you get the US/Korean version, but still not guaranteed to work in Aus.

4. asher001

asher001 Member

The devices have always worked on the NextG network. IMO this excuse is bullshit.

ICS is 100%. Overseas LTE phones don't work in Aus.

5. _FuSiOnItE_

_FuSiOnItE_ Member

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem yet, but I left the torch funtion on for too long and it burnt the flash lens cover so now it's brown not clear.

Think there would be any problem getting warranty on this? Since it's making photos come out with a circular yellow tinge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  6. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Wouldn't hurt to try. Say you used it as a torch, since it is a stock widget by Samsung after all. Plus there is no warning that you can't use the LED for extended periods of time AFAIK.

Pretty poor effort that the LED was cooked because it was left too long. Well designed LED's should last a lifetime with proper heatsinking.

7. sanjay

sanjay Member

doesnt look like a problem with the LED but rather the plastic covering, should be easy enough for samsung to just swap it out, im sure it wouldnt be a problem under warranty but the worst they will do is say no, so give it a go!

8. _FuSiOnItE_

_FuSiOnItE_ Member

Yeah exactly why I would assume there would be no problem getting warranty since there is no warning about leaving it on and also it is a stock widget. It's not actually the LED that's cooked, it's just the lense that covers it. My guess is they'll just replace the plastic piece. A glass piece would fix the issue of it happening again imho.

Oh and before I forget I'll just say what I think about the phone so far after around 1 months use anr previously owning a Desire HD.

Battery life is awesome. I can easily get 1.5-2 days of light-medium use. I could barely get 8 hours with the DHD with medium use. Performance is great too. No lag of any kind and plays all videos easily. Camera is the fastest I've used in a phone so far, bar maybe the Iphone4. Stylus is a great feature and also the size of the phone hasn't been an issue for me, fits in all my pants pockets and the screen real estate is great. I think if it were exactly 5" though it would fit my hand perfectly haha.

Negatives are that the 3G connection is not always great. I'll have full service and HSPDA, but sometimes it takes a bit to recognise connections. After connection, web pages and videos will load pretty fast. I don't like the Samsung UI as much as HTC's Sense. Sense just seems more refined and I guess it's aimed more towards business users whereas Samsung's is a more overall audience. The lock button on the side. This is probably the worst placement ever as everytime I grab the phone I hit the button with my index finger. Does anyone else get annoyed at that last issue? Shits me off so much sometimes.

9. Airquarious

Airquarious Member

Yep, volume buttons too, placed in the most stupid position. Having a cover over the phone helped somewhat...

10. bb7_rider

bb7_rider Member

On top of this, they want $20/month for it on the $59 cap, extremely pissed off right now, 6 months behind the other carriers and now they're trying to charge four times as much for it (every other carrier has it for $5 on $59 caps with virgin being $5 on $55 cap..)

I can deal with getting slightly less $$ value on their caps, and less data than any of the other carriers for your money too, but this is a bloody joke. It isn't even the flagship phone in samsungs lineup and yet they're charging a buttload more for it. Galaxy nexus is FREE on the $59 cap and this phone is supposed to be cheaper.

I've been a loyal Tel$tra customer for a long time, and convinced a lot of friends / family to switch over from voda / 3 etc, but after this stunt I'm just about ready to change carriers again I think, on principal alone. (notwithstanding that they will no doubt be 6 months behind everybody else in releasing their ICS update when it eventually comes through)

11. sanjay

sanjay Member

galaxy nexus is the cheaper phone...not sure where you got your opposite impression from. GNex is around $3000HKD, GNote is around $3800HKD.

news flash! telstra ripping off its customers.

telstra's only good value proposition is their prepaid cap. this has been the case for over two years now.

12. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

13. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

14. matarael

matarael Member

I think there's a better chance of more polished ICS roms coming from XDA-Developers. They'll include the new S-Pen dedicated apps too. My guess is 3 weeks for nice polished builds to start to show up.

15. sanjay

sanjay Member

as soon as this is confirmed, it'll be extracted and deodexed, ready for install on any GNote worldwide (save for the retarded US variants).

...the case to get a GNote has strengthened. :weirdo:

16. Tomee

Tomee Member

if you purchased a note from kogan, would that be part of the ICS update?

17. sanjay

sanjay Member

looks like XDA-dev have already got the mdm5 version of the latest ICS release from Germany uploaded, so go install that beautiful, s-pen enabled, bloat free version. :D

i would imagine whether your kogan-derived Note gets the official update depends on whether its an Europe or Asia region one. looks like the update has only been pushed to Europe so far.

18. Tomee

Tomee Member

now that i hear this will be getting ICS im contemplating getting one.

has anyone gone from a Gnex to the Note and liked it?

im sticking with the Gnex atm because of the non bloated experience and first for updates but would like to hear others thoughts.

19. Smakked

Smakked Member

I will let you know as i just bought one this morning , only had it for an hour but still testing flashing ICS on it now.

20. Slugoid

Slugoid Member