1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy S II Official - dual-core 1GHz CPU, 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Bullseye81

Bullseye81 Member

Added the GPS tile in Settings->System->Quick Settings. That took awhile to find!

2. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

It's definitely not the 4G model and is the 19100T. Besides, I think it's just Heimdall having windows issues, not the phone. I'll try it on my other laptop first and if that doesn't work I'll try the below.

I'll give that method a go, cheers.

3. Bullseye81

Bullseye81 Member

Looks like the first RC for Cyanogenmod 10.1 has been released. Nothing here for the S2 yet http://get.cm/?device=i9100&type= but it is showing up in the 2nd international S2 version, the 9100G

4. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

I just found this wireless inductive charging mod for the S2

I'm very tempted to have a go at it. Has anyone tried one of these mods? Is the palm stuff compatible with powermat?

I'm currently using a flip wallet style case

Easiest thing would be to ditch the back cover and mount the guts on the wallet case. I'm curious if the thick casing would be a problem & the clip has a magnet in it.

5. thebranded

thebranded Member

Just updated my S2 via Kies to the latest VF rom.

Is it possible to apply only a root to it or do i have to flash a new room and root?

6. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

You can root it without changing the firmware. Some people just choose to replace the firmware with a previously rooted one to kill two birds with one stone.

7. thebranded

thebranded Member

Cheers HyRax1,

while im on the stock 4.1.2 from VF i find it fast and stable for my uses, but i'd like to root it toget the additional features.

Looking though XDA i found this link
    http://www.smartphonesupdates.com/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-s2/

That should work on my 4.1.2 on kernal 3.0.31-889696?
    Is there a better one to use (wihout flashing the rom)

8. HyRax1

One of the simplest methods is to use Recovery mode or better still ClockworkRecoveryMod (CWM) and whilst in there you install CF-Root (Chainfire Root). It's near-effortless. Once installed, you're rooted. Reboot and enjoy.

But honestly, while you're at it, try a different firmware such as CyanogenMod - it's much slicker than the Vodafone/Samsung-provided firmware and you'll wonder why you didn't upgrade earlier.

Remember to unlock your phone from the network first - Vodafone make this easy and it's free for the most part.

EDIT: Please note that some devices will wipe your device anyway as part of enabling root. This basically puts you back to factory, wiping personal data - make a backup before you do so (you will be warned before you commit anyway). Once you reboot, you can then restore your data from backup.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  9. thebranded

thebranded Member

perfect went the CWM way.

I'll flash therom soon, but wanted phone rooted first so i can besure to make a full backup/image of my phone.

Didnt do the VF unlock though as VF site required me to put an active non VF sim in the phone, everyone at home only has VF.

S2 is two generations old but still going strong!

10. thebranded

thebranded Member

For thoses that did the AU VF 4.1.2 update.

Have you been able to download the updated Navigon maps? I've downloaded Navigon via the Samsung Apps app, and it works fine with my old maps but each time i try to download the updated maps it gives me a "Connection Failed, please try again later" error. I've tried via both wifi and 3g.

11. thebranded

thebranded Member

Anyone using the new "HD" garmin maps? If so how did you update?

12. sw1tch

sw1tch Member

Been using RootBox forever however sick of waiting for v4.3

What's everyone else using at the moment?

13. Bullseye81

Bullseye81 Member

A couple of the newer Cyanogen 10.2 nightly builds broke clockworkmod & download mode. Cant even enter regular download mode now to connect to Odin. Anyone got any suggestions?

14. HyRax1

I'm running on last night's build just fine. CWM is good too. What happened during the flash?

15. Bullseye81

Bullseye81 Member

It flashed fine, phone is currently working. But the build from 24082013 and possibly a day or two after broke both recovery & download.

Trying to update from the Cyanogen updater in the phone to the latest nightly doesnt work- recovery flashes on for a split second then phone restarts. Using the traditional volume up or down + home during a reboot does nothing.

16. HyRax1

Can you get into recovery via mode the power button menu?

17. Zee

Zee Member

Damn it! After working perfectly for the last year, my phone decides to just magically lose it's IMEI.

Here's to hoping one of the Google answers works...

Z....

18. Bullseye81

Bullseye81 Member

Hey it worked! Thanks! Just upgraded to 5th September 10.2

19. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

thread Necro!

Anyone still using their S2?

I'm still quite attached to mine, however the phone is pretty laggy now. I don't know if it's clutter, Or if the phone just doesn't have the grunt to use the modern apps?

If it's the former, Can I install some kind of lean firmware that will make the phone magically lag free?

The apps I use reguarly are chrome, photobucket, poweramp with jays headset control, facebook, gmail, and the camera & gallery.

I need to multi task between the camera/gallery, photobucket & chrome quite often. And often I have to wait 10-20 seconds for it to switch between them, and typing anything means waiting 1-5 seconds for a laggy keyboard to appear.

I should mention I've got carat installed to check for battery usage hogs and have removed everything except for that stupid samsung talk app.

TLDR: Should I mess with my phone to get extra performance, or are modern apps too stronk for the S2.

20. Sobbsy

Sobbsy Member

Yep, still very happily using my S2. Still gets insanely good battery life (I run a super lean rom, I don't use the internet on my phone bar one or two momentary necessities for example). Still looks good as new, no scratches or anything either... I'm not the kind of person who upgrades their phone every 6 months for no real reason, so I'll have it until it dies basically, same as my past phones :leet: