1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy S II Official - dual-core 1GHz CPU, 4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 13, 2011.

1. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

I recently gave my old S2 to my folks and upgraded it to CM11 (KitKat 4.4.4), changed the runtime from Dalvik to ART and it's running surprisingly well.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. Bullseye81

Bullseye81 Member

Yeah my S2 is going strong with CM11. I love it. The S3/4 were just that little bit too big, so I'm going to hang on to the S2 for as long as I can.

Having said that the S5 mini looks about the same size and the S2, but newer.

3. Sobbsy

Sobbsy Member

CM11 is CyanogenMod right? I've been using LiteningROM (or was it Ultratoxic? I can't recall, it changed from one to the other at some point) for ages... seems to work fine, and I really prefer the original style icons and such. Any MAJOR benefits to CM11 that I really must have?

4. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

S2 stock and it's also getting laggy.

Jumping on to the s5 mini the soonest I can.

5. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Still rocking with CM10 + samsung 2000mah battery.

Some times it does lag up a little, but installing CM10 has indeed made it a lot better than stock.

6. Ace of Aces

Ace of Aces Member

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is the same age as the iPhone 4. Both are doing pretty well, still.

Both are laggy.

I think the Galaxy S2 had a very nice design.

7. Rezin

Rezin Member

CM 11, 4.4.4... can't see a point moving until this breaks, or a super must-have phone comes out.

8. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

Yep, still using mine too. Went through a few custom ROMS - was on Litening then Revolution, Foxhound and Wanam before finally switching over to CM. Still a great phone but the camera is starting to show it's age as is my battery - though I think my battery performance is more to do with terrible reception at work.
    Thinking of upgrading to the S5 very soon unless something amazing gets anounced soon.

9. Rezin

Rezin Member

Reception has an incredible effect on battery hours.

10. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll have a go at installing CM 11 tomorrow.

Any tips for backing things up? Contacts and memos are already sycned to google. I saw there is an sms backup app..

Is there anything that backs up custom ringtones and primary numbers for contacts? Whenever there is a firmware upgrade, These seem to reset on me. Quite annoying when It tries text someones house phone, or call a work number etc.

11. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Just make sure that all your contacts are set to sync to your Google account and not saved on the phone, and it will be restored perfectly.

After you've backed up your SMS' using whatever app you choose (be honest, do you REALLY look back on them??) then once you've got CM11 up and running, switch your default SMS app over to Google Hangouts and let Hangouts save all your messages in your Google account instead of relying on the local SMS storage in future.

Beyond that is just your games settings that don't save to either Google or Facebook.

To save things like icon layout and homepage settings (in addition to saving SMS messages, apps and settings themselves) in future, consider Titanium Backup (requires root access).

12. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Cool, I didn't know what google hangouts was. Yeah I'm not gonna lose sleep if I don't get my old SMS, but sometimes they're handy. And If I have the ability to back it up I will.

13. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

EDIT: gave the cyanogenmod installer another go.... and it's getting further than last time... *fingers crossed*
    EDIT2: Looks like it's done. Damn that was quick! This easy mode installer is great!.... when it works.

Trying to follow this guide to install CM11, but I'm a little confused and some of the links aren't working

I'm unable to download the codeworkx's recovery cwmr6047.img (broken link). And when I go to the website The S2 downloads are 4.0.1.5 and 5.8.1.5 (Touch)

So I've downloaded both of them, but I can't figure out which one is the zImage file needed for this command

Code:
    heimdall flash --kernel zImage --no-reboot
    Here is the directory listing for the 'sbin' folder for the 5.8.1.5 (touch)
    Name Size

adbd 135 KB
    e2fsck 269 KB
    fix_permissions 14.4 KB
    killrecovery.sh 409 bytes
    mke2fs 178 KB
    nandroid-md5.sh 216 bytes
    parted 338 KB
    recovery 784 KB
    sdparted 16.1 KB
    tune2fs 182 KB

I assume touch is for phones with broken hardware buttons? Is there a working link for the 6047 version? is the 'recovery' file (784KB) The zImage file?

I've also tried the Windows Installer, which is unable to communicate with the phone at the custom recovery install stage.

My phone was bought from Vodafone
    GT-I9100T
    Android: 4.1.2 Stock
    Baseband: I9100TDVLS3
    Kernel: 3.0.31 - 889696

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  14. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

I had no joy with their instructions using heimdall. Spent hours troubleshooting and getting nowhere.

Ended up using Odin. Worked first go.

15. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

The installer didn't wipe any files. Photos etc. But I did have to import messages & re-install apps.

Getting that new phone experience right now. Finding new features, like profiles. Not needing 3rd party apps for scheduled silent mode, and torch! And the Speed!! It's so responsive I can't believe it's the same phone.

The memo app seems to be missing? What do you guys use to jot down quick notes? And I may have a serious battery drain problem.

I went for a walk down to the shops with some music through the headphones and the battery went from 60% to 15%
    I'll charge it up to full and see how it goes idle.
    Are there any tweaks needed to improve the mobile reception since it's an Australian phone?

EDIT: Loving the speed of the new firmware! If anyone is still using a laggy S2, I highly recommend upgrading the firmware. It's like re-installing windows on a pc loaded with popups. It's just night & day.
    The battery drain problem seems to have disappeared after removing the weather widget from the lock screen.
    The easy mode installer put CM 10.2 which is 4.3.1. I think I will have a go at installing CM 11 soon.
    And I'm using gnotes instead of the Samsung Memo App, it syncs with Gmail, which seems more intuitive to me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  16. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

Still using my S2, i bought a S4 but it went on Ebay after a week because it's just too big for me. I now intend on keeping the S2 till it dies somehow and really want to flash Cyan to it but man i've never done it before and to be honest i'm scared of doing it even though i really want to give it a shot.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  17. Bullseye81

Bullseye81 Member

The S5 mini is basically the S2 but with new stuff and bigger battery. I love my S2 but Ill probably upgrade when it comes out

18. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

19. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

It's pretty easy mate. I wrote up some instructions on how to do this not too long ago - if you're interested, PM me and I'll send you a copy.

Edit: Also, screw Heimdall. It's a piece of shit utility that Cyanogenmod should kill and bury - not sure why they still insist on it (I guess no-one has bothered to update the guide since 2011) It's MUCH easier to flash CF-root via Odin, then flash a recent recovery via zip in recovery, then flash whatever ROM you want. If it takes me more than 5 mins, I'm slow.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014