1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy S III Official - 720p 4.8" HD Super AMOLED, 1.4GHz Quad-core, 8MP Cam

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 7, 2012.

1. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Overnight you should be losing maybe 1 - 2%. There's something very very wrong there.

2. wisie

wisie Member

Ouch. Any suggestions on the best way to approach it?

3. mtw

mtw Member

I'm considering jumping to a ROM. I'm looking for a plain Android ROM, essentially a Nexus build but on my 32gb S3. What would everyone's suggestions be?

Is the most popular option currently SuperNexus for this type of thing? I've previously used Cyanogenmod on other phones, but thought I should branch out and try some others.

4. dainese

dainese Member

Try;
    getting cpuspy and seeing if phone is going into deep sleep.

and should be able to diagnose with better battery stats

5. 2SHY

2SHY Member

CM10 would be my pick. Really good ROM.

6. zoogwah

zoogwah Member

if you basically want the stock look and feel but with some speed and battery improvement + some little thing like 4 way boot menu etc then there are quite a few good ones. I found Viking off XDA the best.

otherwise supernexus is good. Most of the ones out there are pretty similar and all pretty good - it just depends on your personal prefs with some things.

7. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

would nearly bet money on media scanner going crazy in the background. its a known samsung issue, and can even happen with ics roms. betterbatterystats should be able to confirm.

8. joerandom

joerandom Member

Spent nearly 2 hours online today to get a hold of a decent extended battery for the S3 but all the proven good brands like Anker, hyperion and Qcell (Many reviews on XDA) seem to only be for sale on Amazon and they won't ship any of them to Australia.

The ebay extended batteries are mostly crap, some proven to be worse then stock battery. But i did manage to find one guy shipping outside USA with a decent brand, Anker 4400ma battery, this one is proven to be a beast!

Not a bad price, bought it today, now to wait couple weeks delivery. :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Anker-44...ies&hash=item4d05399dde&_uhb=1#ht_1652wt_1271

9. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

I did a quick google but couldnt find an answer, what are the dimensions for the anker battery? or more importantly, how thick does it make the phone with the new back cover compared to stock? will obviously make finding cases a bit tricker, hyperion apparently make one.

dont really need the extra capacity though, I can easily get 2 days of usage with the stock battery with plenty of screen time and 3g usage (currently bang on 50% with 1h42m of screen time, most of that 3g browsing and 22h39m of uptime)

10. joerandom

joerandom Member

I don't know exact dimensions haven't received it yet but I am told the battery itself is the same size as stacking two stock ones on top of each other, so with a close fitting case I'd say the phone would be just under 2x thickness.

I am also informed from mates on xda forums that the Anker and Hyperion are same size battery physically but Anker is 4400ma, Hyperion is 4200ma and same extended case.
    The Anker has NO NFC support. Hyperion does but I honestly couldn't find anywhere that ships Hyperion to Australia.

11. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

Hey Guys, is the Polish rom still the latest?

12. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

dropped my S3 last night from the dining room table onto floorboards in a pretty bad way (fumble, fumble, bam on foor), landed on the screen I think.

Minor scratch on the screen, only about 3-4mm in the top 1/3rd so not the end of the world - but yeah the screen does scratch, don't believe the gorilla glass crap. Use a screen protector if you don't have one.

I'm thankful the screen didn't crack though ($200 replacement part on eBay), the scratch is minor so I'll live with it, you can't really notice it once screen is on.

Maybe in a year or two the replacement LCD modules will come down to iPhone 4 module prices ($30-$40) and I may replace it then if i cbf. Were iPhone 4 LCD replacements ~$200 when the phone was 3 months old? Or are S3 replacement modues alot more sophisticated so will stay around the $200 price tag?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  13. peg

peg Member

It's surprising these things don't come with a wrist-strap or something. I'm paranoid as fuck about dropping mine.

14. joerandom

joerandom Member

Why would you still be running a S3 in 2 years?

Hopefully with the Nexus 4 coming in at $350 this sets a trend of lower priced smartphones in the future.

15. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

That is true.

16. kingjam

kingjam Member

Got my shiny new S3 LTE today to replace my now temperamental S2.

I was running Villain on the 2 - what's the popular ROM for the S3?

17. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

S III doing well

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/08/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-dethrones-iphone-4s/

18. breno

breno Member

Personally, it's nice to hear the S3 winning over anything Apple but isn't shipping vastly different from actual sales?
    I know with Apple at least, if they ship 16 million there gonna sell 98% of that amount, they don't deliver to retailers that arn't selling.

19. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

20. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

They also say:

So why did they write that piece. Nobody knows... :Paranoid: