Samsung Galaxy S8- Unveiling in Feb 2017

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by mr626, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Hens

Hens Member

Also got mine, but haven't had a chance to open it yet.

2. thecondor

thecondor Member

Come on mate crack that bastard open and enjoy the beauty

3. booboo

booboo Member

Ordered mine through a shop, so still waiting. I went with gold for something different which should be interesting to see in person lol

4. Hens

Hens Member

Amazing how much smaller it feels than the iPhone plus models

5. metalrain

metalrain Member

Haven't had the opportunity to play with the Gear VR yet, looking forward to having a go with that, butI love the AKG headset. Build quality just seems okay but they sound great from initial impressions

6. Joe91

Joe91 Member

Got a text from Samsung saying it may take up to 28 days for my Gear VR to arrive due higher than anticipated demand. No problem for me, was going straight to eBay anyway.

7. metalrain

metalrain Member

Battery performance is awesome. Only used 25% from 5:30pm to 2:00am. Mostly using Facebook but watched a few videos etc.

8. Joe91

Joe91 Member

Agreed. I've been awake since 5am and have used my phone throughout the day, 62% here with about 30 minutes of music playback via BT.

9. Ryansta

Ryansta Member

Does anyone have any clear info on the warranty? I broke my Xperia Z3 2 days ago so looking for a new phone. Last Samsung I had was an S4. I've been trying to find out if they still replace the screen or not. The S4 came with 2 replacements. I can find info on the premium cover but not too clear on the standard cover.

10. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

2 years in Australia (+ a couple of months extra according to some anecdotal reports of warranty claims). As for repairs, they do for a few more years.

In Korea, like most parts of the world, we get only 1 year (+ a few weeks), but Samsung's customer service in Korea is bloody awesome. Here, their mobile repair centers seem to carry parts for 4 years.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  11. Ryansta

Ryansta Member

Cool thanks, are there any screen replacements included in the standard warranty?

I ordered a GS8+ on Virgin Mobile online, up to 3 weeks for delivery, almost want to cancel! Anyone know if going in store would result in getting a phone sooner?

12. Houston

Houston Member

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170421000257

Has anyone here experienced this "Pink/Red" display tinge problem? There's a few people over on Whirlpool that are having this issue with their new S8's (mostly around the edges). The software color correction that samsung says will fix it doesn't seem to make anything better.

And whats a reasonable price to expect to sell the Gear VR for? its pretty useless to me

13. DEFSTONE

DEFSTONE Member

No, my screen is perfect as is the phone, nice upgrade from my beloved Nexus 5. Was looking for something that wasn't to big in the hand and this fits the bill. S8 Orchid Grey.

Here is a an in depth video of the S8 with over 150 tips, some basic some not so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5GNs826YOI&index=6&list=PLQny4tXP4gsmwV5IWgXZb5bFsve2bji0q&t=179s

Hopefully its some help

14. metalrain

metalrain Member

Might be obvious to some, but the official Clear View Stand Cover will not close properly if you're using a thick, curved glass screen protector like the one from Cygnett. Still keeping this combo though as I am paranoid about protecting my precious new S8+ :Paranoid:

15. vipersnews

vipersnews Member

I only purchased the Clear View Stand Cover, do you think that's enough protection? Surely when its in your pocket or in a gym bag or something the screen would be always covered?

I ordered mine Thursday arvo, just contacted Telstra, they are waiting on stock replenishment :(

16. slashrox

slashrox Member

I was going to wait and see what happened for what the iPhone 8 was going to bring, but after having a look at the S8+ earlier today, I actually really liked it and decided to preorder it. Just preordered it online with optus. I've had a few stints with android in the past and never liked it too much being too used to iPhones, but today I was impressed with the software. I currently use an iPhone 6s+ which will now be used for my work sim to replace the iPhone 5 I use for that sim. Wish the s8 was dual sim!!

17. metalrain

metalrain Member

The case doesn't have a locking mechanism that prevents the clear view portion from opening accidentally so having the screen protector just satiates my paranoia even just little.

18. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Any OCAU game/experience recommendations for a Gear VR virgin? Just received my S8+ pack upgrading from S5.

19. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Well, it seems the software correction can fix some problems:

20. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

a stupid idea comes back to bite:thumbdn: